Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Buffalo Boy

I have been stream only since late 2015. I would never go back to a cable or dish service, I just don't see the beneift at all. A few thoughts/comments on going full streaming:

- Live sports are on a delay. It ranges anywhere from 15-30 seconds If you follow on social channels like Twitter as well, you can tell. So live isn't really live.

- You have to put your money into a good Internet Service Provider and ideally you need Fibre. I get speeds of up to 2gb but then if your house is fully connected that speed is split between all your devices.

- A lot of these streaming services, besides maybe Netflix, are still learning how to make a good app that provides video content. Lots of the controls can be clunky.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Why?  NHL games are on ESPN+ streaming...other professional leagues are on streaming services...

As I posted above, if you like to follow along on twitter, while you are watching these games... you can tell there's a delay/lag. If you can stay off social media, it's not really an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I have been stream only since late 2015. I would never go back to a cable or dish service, I just don't see the beneift at all. A few thoughts/comments on going full streaming:

- Live sports are on a delay. It ranges anywhere from 15-30 seconds If you follow on social channels like Twitter as well, you can tell. So live isn't really live.

- You have to put your money into a good Internet Service Provider and ideally you need Fibre. I get speeds of up to 2gb but then if your house is fully connected that speed is split between all your devices.

- A lot of these streaming services, besides maybe Netflix, are still learning how to make a good app that provides video content. Lots of the controls can be clunky.

As I posted above, if you like to follow along on twitter, while you are watching these games... you can tell there's a delay/lag. If you can stay off social media, it's not really an issue.

Gotcha, but I've been watching the NFL on the Sunday Ticket App (which is streaming) for several years now.  it hasn't been a problem.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Why?  NHL games are on ESPN+ streaming...other professional leagues are on streaming services...

I get that, but there's considerable lag time between streamed live sports and sports being broadcast by satellite, cable or over-the-air.

26 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I get that, but there's considerable lag time between streamed live sports and sports being broadcast by satellite, cable or over-the-air.

See my post above.  The NFL Sunday Ticket App has been streaming live games for years.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:54 PM, T&C said:

I had DTV for 17 years and dumped it like 8 years ago. Haven't missed a Bills game since except for one but it was a preseason game and I absolutely had to be at work. 

It's out there for free and reliable, and legal. 

100% NOT legal.  You almost certainly won't be caught/charged/prosecuted,  but that doesn't make it legal.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

DirecTV has the EXCLUSIVE rights to streaming the NFL on Sunday afternoon, in the USA.  Period.  Where in that article do you see that watching NFL game on that platform is legal in the USA?  I didn't see it.

In fact, since you pay for that service (and they don't pay any rights to the NFL or the networks who also have rights to the game) it's VERY illegal. 

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

DirecTV has the EXCLUSIVE rights to streaming the NFL on Sunday afternoon, in the USA.  Period.  Where in that article do you see that watching NFL game on that platform is legal in the USA?  I didn't see it.

In fact, since you pay for that service (and they don't pay any rights to the NFL or the networks who also have rights to the game) it's VERY illegal. 

It allows you to watch local television in different markets... so, if the game is on WGR for example, you tune in to WGR... not directv.

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

100% NOT legal.  You almost certainly won't be caught/charged/prosecuted,  but that doesn't make it legal.

Correct.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

https://www.makeuseof.com/is-iptv-legal/

If you're wondering whether IPTV is legal or not, the short answer is yes. However, the long answer is that it can be quite complex. IPTV itself is legal, but not all IPTV services are.

For example, legal IPTV services like Hulu, YouTube, and Sling abide by the correct copyright laws. With this, if a service provider doesn't hold the correct licenses for the content it provides, then it is considered illegal.

Since Sunday Ticket is exclusive to DTV, nobody else holds the correct licenses to provide it. Therefore it is illegal.

Just now, T&C said:

It allows you to watch local television in different markets... so, if the game is on WGR for example, you tune in to WGR... not directv.

You are streaming the game, outside of the home market. That's illegal. No way around that. You can pretend it is legal, but it is not

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

Correct.

https://www.makeuseof.com/is-iptv-legal/

Since Sunday Ticket is exclusive to DTV, nobody else holds the correct licenses to provide it. Therefore it is illegal.

Precisely

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You are streaming the game, outside of the home market. That's illegal. No way around that. You can pretend it is legal, but it is not

Technically its not streaming a game, its merely watching a local television station in a different market. I could watch the farmers show on a local Nebraska television station or Jeopardy on a local Arizona station. 

Precisely

52 minutes ago, T&C said:

Technically its not streaming a game, its merely watching a local television station in a different market. I could watch the farmers show on a local Nebraska television station or Jeopardy on a local Arizona station. 

Yeah, so this one has been discussed upstream and is a little fuzzy.

If you are using a GPS spoofer you are not necessarily watching any licensed content illegally, you're simply telling your device you are in one location while you are actually in another.  You're watching free programming in a local market, only you're not actually in that market.  Is that "technically" illegal?  Yeah, sure, but who exactly is going to come after you for doing it?

2 hours ago, eball said:

If you are using a GPS spoofer you are not necessarily watching any licensed content illegally, you're simply telling your device you are in one location while you are actually in another.  You're watching free programming in a local market, only you're not actually in that market.  Is that "technically" illegal?  Yeah, sure, but who exactly is going to come after you for doing it?

Precisely. It is illegal. But it isn't like you will go to jail. But those are different things. You may want to read all of the user agreement on any of the tools you use to see if there is a disclaimer that it should not be used for any illegal purpose/bypass any legal agreement. 

Precisely. It is illegal. But it isn't like you will go to jail. But those are different things. You may want to read all of the user agreement on any of the tools you use to see if there is a disclaimer that it should not be used for any illegal purpose/bypass any legal agreement. 

Why has this been around for over a decade then? If it was illegal the folks who say it is illegal would have done something about it. No? Or is there some kind of morals involved here. Me personally... I'm not missing Bills/Sabres games. The superboxes are readily available on Amazon, walmart, and a shift ton of other venues. It's perfectly fine to use... as are the sites you can use on the internet. Trust me man, I'm not missing out on a Bills game no matter what. Isn't that what this mafia crap is about lol.

Just stepping to say that DTV is complete trash.  They literally made me a ST offer 2 seasons ago, then weeks later contacted me to say I needed to purchase a more expensive package to get the deal they had already given me.  

That and their joke of a customer service program chased me into the sports bars after being a customer for 15 years.  

DTV is dead to me.  Hey that rhymes!

Edited by BillnutinHouston

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Why has this been around for over a decade then? If it was illegal the folks who say it is illegal would have done something about it. No? Or is there some kind of morals involved here. Me personally... I'm not missing Bills/Sabres games. The superboxes are readily available on Amazon, walmart, and a shift ton of other venues. It's perfectly fine to use... as are the sites you can use on the internet. Trust me man, I'm not missing out on a Bills game no matter what. Isn't that what this mafia crap is about lol.

No morals involved here at all, from my end. I'm NOT suggesting you and others shouldn't use it. Not sure where you are getting that. I'm simply saying it is NOT 100% legal, so you should at least know that. In a pinch, I'll jump on a stream to watch a Bills game. For the past 5 or so years I have always been able to see it. But I'm not going to tell myself, or others, that it is legal.  That was my only point.

6 hours ago, eball said:

Exactly. No way it's legal. People have been streaming all kinds of events and movies for years. A little bit of protection like a paid VPN and you are good to go. I don't do it because I'm older and its a pain in the butt for my old non tech self. Several tech savory guys I work with say it's super easy.  I could careless if it's technically illegal. These companies have been robbing its customers for years. So F them. 

On 6/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, SoMAn said:

When Sunday ticket goes to one of the other services, I’ll look into those options. DIRECTV gets expensive, though they’re usually willing (or desperate enough) to negotiate better rates. I do like the recording options. A lot of the shows are now available on demand, but the fly in the ointment is the inability to fast-forward through ads. 

During negotiations they’re always pushing the movie channels. Don’t have much interest in todays movie offerings.  Mostly Kids fare, low brow comedies, superhero retreads, sci-Fi fantasy-just not my thing. 

Eball- are you still in Atlanta area? I’m in northern ‘burbs. 

also in the northern ‘burbs

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:35 PM, BillnutinHouston said:

Just stepping to say that DTV is complete trash.  They literally made me a ST offer 2 seasons ago, then weeks later contacted me to say I needed to purchase a more expensive package to get the deal they had already given me.  

That and their joke of a customer service program chased me into the sports bars after being a customer for 15 years.  

DTV is dead to me.  Hey that rhymes!

My favorite (which was also the last straw for me) was when they told me I’d get Sunday ticket for free and then charged me for it and wouldn’t credit it or give it for free. At that point, I was done. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.