Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Buffalo Boy

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

Haven't read that but doubtful they would....will be too expensive for them

Thanks. I guess they have to look at how many people have it and figure what the cost of losing at least 50% (my estimate) vs paying more. I doubt I will leave as long as I can keep my 60$ a month credit. I seem to live in the perfect spot for sports. I get The Sabres, Indians, Cavs, Yanks, Nets, Mets, Knicks , Rangers, Islanders and Devils as my local sports. I refuse to go back to Spectrum and my ISP is Empire Access and their sports are limited.

... If it goes to Amazon I wonder if the $300 will be in play if your a prime member.

55 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks. I guess they have to look at how many people have it and figure what the cost of losing at least 50% (my estimate) vs paying more. I doubt I will leave as long as I can keep my 60$ a month credit. I seem to live in the perfect spot for sports. I get The Sabres, Indians, Cavs, Yanks, Nets, Mets, Knicks , Rangers, Islanders and Devils as my local sports. I refuse to go back to Spectrum and my ISP is Empire Access and their sports are limited.

... If it goes to Amazon I wonder if the $300 will be in play if your a prime member.

I'm looking at Hulu + live TV...it includes Disney+ which I watch a lot and ESPN+ which will get all Sabre games

On 6/24/2022 at 3:57 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Can see why DTV would want to continue to broadcast just so they don't lose the rest of their subscribers.  If Roger called me up and asked me my preference for which one to go with I'd go with Amazon, Disney, Apple.  I am around this evening if he wants to call.

If the NFL package is anything like MLB, the price difference between the full package and one team hardly makes it worthwhile

Thought it was kind of funny talking about buffering with streaming as to why many would want to stick with DTV.  Try watching DTV during a bad thunderstorm!

Here’s my issue with streaming.  One of my favorite inventions was the DVR.  Record and Watch a game whenever you want and not miss a thing.  Start watching a game maybe a half hour after it started and you can fast forward thru the damn commercials.  

This past NBA season, I subscribed to NBA League Pass to watch my Golden State Warriors games.  It went thru the TV and  the NBA App.   When I watched the game, even though there were Pause, Rewind and Fast Forward functions, they ended up being for only 15 seconds.  I paused the game and left the room for a couple minutes expecting to be able to continue from where I was paused but the broadcast had continued.  When I tried to rewind, I found out about the 15 sec limit.

You couldn’t watch the game from the start if in progress.

I’m on the West Coast so I thought a work around for East Coast games was to start watching after the game ended, when you can fast forward, etc.  Well, I clicked on the icon for the game and it went to another screen where plastered in large font across the top of the screen was something like “Warriors Win Led by 30 Points From Curry.

If this is how NFL ST and Amazon’s streaming of Thursday games is going to work, they’re taking a step back in technology and I’ll be pissed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Here’s my issue with streaming.  One of my favorite inventions was the DVR.  Record and Watch a game whenever you want and not miss a thing.  Start watching a game maybe a half hour after it started and you can fast forward thru the damn commercials.  

This past NBA season, I subscribed to NBA League Pass to watch my Golden State Warriors games.  It went thru the TV and  the NBA App.   When I watched the game, even though there were Pause, Rewind and Fast Forward functions, they ended up being for only 15 seconds.  I paused the game and left the room for a couple minutes expecting to be able to continue from where I was paused but the broadcast had continued.  When I tried to rewind, I found out about the 15 sec limit.

I’m on the West Coast so I thought a work around for East Coast games was to start watching after the game ended, when you can fast forward, etc.  Well, I clicked on the icon for the game and it went to another screen where plastered in large font across the top of the screen was something like “Warriors Win Led by 30 Points From Curry.

If this is how NFL ST and Amazon’s streaming of Thursday games is going to work, they’re taking a step back in technology and I’ll be pissed.

Skipping commercials is the BOMB!!!! I hope you are not correct about this.

The article talks about DTV still being an outlet regardless of who gets the rights. We shall see.

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

YouTubeTV has an unlimited storage virtual DVR, and if you have marked a sporting event for recording but then want to start watching in the middle you get a prompt to “view live” or “start from beginning.”  I think there’s also a setting to hide scores.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Skipping commercials is the BOMB!!!! I hope you are not correct about this.

The article talks about DTV still being an outlet regardless of who gets the rights. We shall see.

I think they mean for bars and restaurants. 

2 hours ago, nucci said:

I think they mean for bars and restaurants. 

Saw an article last week that said that DTV may be an "outlet" for ST for who wins the contract, i.e. Apple, with the proceeds funneled to the rights holder.  Would apply to homes, bars, restaurants.

But who the hell really knows at this point, it's pure speculation.  One sad irony is that I think the days of calling for a discount will be over.  Try calling Apple or Amazon or ESPN to get a "discount" starting next season.  And with the $300-400 price point, aimed at discouraging middle-class fans and keeping the local networks happy, I hope we can pay on a per-game basis...but again, who knows right now.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Agree with you about streaming in general.  I also prefer the DVR.  I have two houses, one with an antenna and a TIVO for local channels.  2nd house mainly use You-Tube TV and have same limitations about watching something 10 minutes after it starts.  It does have full rewind, pause functions though, but not as easy to use as TIVO.

For football don't think I'd care much as with sports in general, if I don't watch live, I tend to not watch as usually know the outcome.  But in general welcome the ability to subscribe to ST without spending another $1200 a year or more for DTV.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/disney-apple-and-amazon-keep-waiting-as-nfl-considers-sunday-ticket-offers.html  DirecTV would also consider acting as a residential pass-through. Under such an agreement, it could transfer all revenue for Sunday Ticket to the rights owner but still offer it to customers. This would allow DirecTV to mitigate churn while reducing switching costs for consumers. It would also backstop any potential streaming latency or reliability issues that may come with broadcasting live football over broadband.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Thursday Night games will have start-over (ie start from beginning, FF/RW) this year. This isn't really a technology problem with streaming; rights are generally either sold with or without start-over. Hopefully Sunday Ticket comes with those rights as well.

1 hour ago, TSNBDSC said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/disney-apple-and-amazon-keep-waiting-as-nfl-considers-sunday-ticket-offers.html  DirecTV would also consider acting as a residential pass-through. Under such an agreement, it could transfer all revenue for Sunday Ticket to the rights owner but still offer it to customers. This would allow DirecTV to mitigate churn while reducing switching costs for consumers. It would also backstop any potential streaming latency or reliability issues that may come with broadcasting live football over broadband.

Thx for posting this. This is outstanding if DTV can pull it off! Sure, I can stream but Sunday Ticket on DTV always works easily & reliably. Occasionally, but only rarely, I DVR the game like others have mentioned and start watching 30-45 mins after the game has started. Have to remember to temporarily turn off messaging on my phone, too. We primarily use Apple TV and just keep whatever is necessary on DTV to get Sunday Ticket.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2022 at 2:47 AM, SoMAn said:

I’ve had DIRECTV for 24 years. Weather-related outages are infrequent. 

In my year with them in Pennsylvania in 2005 or so I had numerous outages, included almost the entire game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals between NY and Miami. I was sitting down ready to enjoy my evening, super excited for the game, and then it happened. It came back on in the final minute when the game was already over. That was the last straw for me, especially when they refused to re-air it in our area. This was for a game 7. Imagine if it was for the SB. And they tell me I'm out of luck? I've had very few outages with cable TV.

Edited by chongli

11 hours ago, chongli said:

In my year with them in Pennsylvania in 2005 or so I had numerous outages, included almost the entire game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals between NY and Miami. I was sitting down ready to enjoy my evening, super excited for the game, and then it happened. It came back on in the final minute when the game was already over. That was the last straw for me, especially when they refused to re-air it in our area. This was for a game 7. Imagine if it was for the SB. And they tell me I'm out of luck? I've had very few outages with cable TV.

Do you know why you've experienced outages? Most problems can be resolved. I realize you've gone back to cable, but for others:

Start with having maximum signal strength. Have you called DTV about the outages?  Has your dish been 'peaked' recently? It may be as simple as getting a technician to re-point the dish to receive max signal.

Do you have trees or other obstructions blocking the site line? If so, move the dish or the trees. Also, depending on the thickness of the foliage, you may get an ok signal in winter when trees are bare, but find the signal compromised in summer and more susceptible to weather-related outages when you're just barely locked in.

If you're in an area that experiences frequent, slow moving violent storms, satellite TV may not be your best option. I haven't had an issue with it.

• Like (+1) 1

I've had DTV for 22 years.  I last got it free in 2020. In 2021 they wouldn't give in to my wishes but they did give me a bunch of large credits..  I'm hoping this year i can get ST for free but i don't usually make the call until later July.  I have no major complaints against DTV but if they did not provide ST i would have cancelled a while ago and used FIOS.

On 6/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, SoMAn said:

Do you know why you've experienced outages? Most problems can be resolved. I realize you've gone back to cable, but for others:

Start with having maximum signal strength. Have you called DTV about the outages?  Has your dish been 'peaked' recently? It may be as simple as getting a technician to re-point the dish to receive max signal.

Do you have trees or other obstructions blocking the site line? If so, move the dish or the trees. Also, depending on the thickness of the foliage, you may get an ok signal in winter when trees are bare, but find the signal compromised in summer and more susceptible to weather-related outages when you're just barely locked in.

If you're in an area that experiences frequent, slow moving violent storms, satellite TV may not be your best option. I haven't had an issue with it.

Hey SoMAn, thanks for all the good advice! When I had DTV, that was years ago when I live in Pennsylvania, by Philadelphia. We had our share of rain and windstorms. The outage I referred to was during a storm. It's good that you live in a good area for satellite. I've long since moved (multiple times) and don't even have cable TV anymore. It's all computer now. But your post was much appreciated.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, eball said:

According to PFT, Goodell has confirmed Sunday Ticket is headed to a streaming service in 2023.  A decision on which one will come this fall.

Yup, as predicted, but how they fix the lag...sometimes more than 10 seconds...is going to be key.

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Yup, as predicted, but how they fix the lag...sometimes more than 10 seconds...is going to be key.

Why?  NHL games are on ESPN+ streaming...other professional leagues are on streaming services...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.