Roe vs Wade Overturned

Just now, ChiGoose said:

I think you're see strong movements for a nationwide ban should the GOP control all three branches.

Also, I would not be surprised for SCOTUS to go after Obergfell v. Hodges, Lawrence v. Texas, and even Connecticut v. Griswold.

Which means SCOTUS nominees lied and GOP lied. Reversing Roe v. Wade is pointless without a nationwide ban. 

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is life only human or is it all living creatures?

Funny you mention this... I was thinking about it. As humans, the apex creature on this world, people are fighting to kill their unborn babies. Yet virtually every other creature on this world will go to great lengths to assure that their babies are taken care of pre and post birth and will defend them with their own lives if they have to. Such a distinct contrast.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Which means SCOTUS nominees lied and GOP lied. Reversing Roe v. Wade is pointless without a nationwide ban. 

They did lie and every person in the world knew they were lying at the time except Susan Collins and Joe Manchin.

Reversing Roe is not pointless because it'll get abortion banned in a good number, if not mot, states without a nationwide ban (which has a higher bar to clear). So it's a big win for the anti-choice movement.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Funny you mention this... I was thinking about it. As humans, the apex creature on this world, people are fighting to kill their unborn babies. Yet virtually every other creature on this world will go to great lengths to assure that their babies are taken care of pre and post birth and will defend them with their own lives if they have to. Such a distinct contrast.

Many animals eat their own babies.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Generally speaking, this is not true.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

I wish you were right.

I would suggest you start talking to people in the medical profession and reading the actual laws. What you're saying seems like common sense but it's not actually how medicine and law work. 

In the meantime, here are some real world examples of how different abortion laws impact care for miscarriage:

In Texas:

In Michigan:

In Poland:

In Ireland:

Some more info:

Bloomberg:

Women jailed for a miscarriage:

powerful information gives me cold shivers I'll be honest

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DRsGhost said:

Is there a separate meeting place for the "Done out of Bounds" Justice(s)?  Do they work out of the local DC IhoP?  An Olive Garden?

Watching this nudnik try to frame these justices as illegitimate without saying it is painful.  

On a related note, how badly did RBG's actions impact the court from a liberal perspective?   She was an amazing woman to be sure, but hubris was her downfall it would seem.  Or, maybe she was a purist who just decided what will be, will be? 

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Lions and Polar Bears eat their babies. They’d eat us also if given the chance.

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

They did lie and every person in the world knew they were lying at the time except Susan Collins and Joe Manchin.

Reversing Roe is not pointless because it'll get abortion banned in a good number, if not mot, states without a nationwide ban (which has a higher bar to clear). So it's a big win for the anti-choice movement.

Many animals eat their own babies.

animals do indeed eat their young at times, abandon their offspring, refuse to accept. Welcome to nature. 

AS far as abortion is concerned I happen to live in Cali and the governor has stated he will fight till his last breath for abortions to carry on here. 

all the rest you post about medical decisions between patients and their medical Dr' being hampered gives me cold sweats. Not meaning to repeat myself Im just being real with it 

1 minute ago, muppy said:

all the rest you post about medical decisions between patients and their medical Dr' being hampered gives me cold sweats. Not meaning to repeat myself Im just being real with it 

Thanks, and that's why I wanted to point it out. Our public discourse on abortions generally just assumes we are talking about unwanted pregnancies and that the laws are super clear and only impact those cases. The reality is much more complicated.

Ideally, I would not have the government intervene in medical care and instead let the patient and their doctor make the best decision they can. That is going to be much more difficult for pregnancies moving forward with Roe and Casey being struck down.

Abortions are a difficult, traumatic, and awful thing. I wish we would focus on proven methods to prevent unwanted pregnancies such as comprehensive sex ed and easy access to contraceptives. And to make it easier for people in difficult positions trying to decide what to do, I wish we had pro-natalist policies like affordable healthcare, parental leave, and affordable (or even free) childcare. Those kinds of things would reduce abortions for unwanted pregnancies (because there will be fewer unwanted pregnancies) and reduce abortions for poor and struggling people by providing them help to ensure that they will be able to afford and keep their baby.

But the actual medical decision? The government should have no place there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

A gross over simplification. 

11 minutes ago, muppy said:

animals do indeed eat their young at times, abandon their offspring, refuse to accept. Welcome to nature. 

AS far as abortion is concerned I happen to live in Cali and the governor has stated he will fight till his last breath for abortions to carry on here. 

Why would he have to fight with his last breath, Mup?  Is Cali in danger of turning red?   

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lions and Polar Bears eat their babies. They’d eat us also if given the chance.

Hence the word "virtually". Nice work.

You could be anti abortion and I get it to some degree.  Not sure how you support laws that force *****/raped teenagers to have the baby.  Or disgusting laws that allow people to sue others for getting an abortion creating a police state.  It is idiotic. 

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Why would he have to fight with his last breath, Mup?  Is Cali in danger of turning red?   

haha no It was an attempt by muppy to share how strongly he endorses abortion rights in cali

EDIT: can u envision a USA with no access to legal abortions? si o no.

Edited by muppy

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You could be anti abortion and I get it to some degree.  Not sure how you support laws that force *****/raped teenagers to have the baby.  Or disgusting laws that allow people to sue others for getting an abortion creating a police state.  It is idiotic. 

Because it's about control.