Jump to content

Renting a house in Buffalo for the season


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Draconator said:

 

Your avatar is awesome!!!!!!!!!

 

My 9 year old daughter helped me create it.  She was extremely excited to see your comment!  I've been on this site for years without an avatar and she explained that in today's world, that was completely unacceptable.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t watch a lot of “king of queens,” but I have watched a few. And this hare-brained rental home scheme is the same one Doug pulled off on that show.

 

he and his pals rented an apartment above a restaurant to get away from their wives, and Doug ended up living a

secret second life for a while— a very hilarious and memorable episode! 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, extrahammer said:

So a buddy and myself have been kicking around the idea of renting a house in Buffalo for the season, I work remotely and he's a traveling doctor. I'm usually in Buffalo a few times per year for games, we're renting from August to February. 

 

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on things to check out in the area, sightseeing, things going on, etc, between August and February, I know after November December it becomes a lot less likely to do as much outdoors, but wanted to hear some local feedback. I've done Niagara, Letchworth, and many of the local Buffalo parks, but was hoping to hear and visit some things I haven't heard much or anything about. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Go Bills! 🙏

 

We have a house already there and have season tickets, looking for suggestions of things to check out outside of those things.. including food recs. I haven't tried Bar Bill but have had Duff's, the mac and cheese place near Batavia, love all types of food so. 

Also a bachelor. Sold my house. Was considering the same concept just a little different, basically making pit stops across the country, probably 2-3 weeks at time. I have friends in LA, CINCY, and DET. Then maybe do a pitstop in Buffalo. Probably do shared living 5 days of the week, then get a much nicer private place on weekends. I love what you guys are doing. I'm finally just hitting the "dude, your single, do whatever the hell you want" phase. It's just so engrained into us, buy home, settle down, make home safe haven. I don't think I want a safe haven right now.   

 

10 hours ago, yall said:

Don't go cheap on the rental. Spend a few extra bucks on a place with amenities that chicks will dig (or at least have a place near some hotspots).

 

I'm guessing you guys are single and you'll want to take advantage of the fact that Buffalo girls are pretty easy after a victory. Get the most out of a season that should have a lot of wins. ;)

 

 

So nobody got laid in Buffalo for almost 20 years, the drought is real 🙃 🤣

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

 

Huh?  Rental prices are lower in Buffalo than most other cities.

 

Sightseeing?  Two Frank Lloyd Wright Houses...  Pierce Arrow Museum...  Architectural tour...

 

If you like donuts, I saw a list somewhere with Paula's Donuts as one of the 10 best donut shops in America.  

 

 

Out of curiosity, say a 2000 sq ft house, what's it rent for?

 

I'm in south Alabama and that would be like 2k down here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, extrahammer said:

 

Yeah, it just sort of lucked out with us both being bachelors, being long-time friends, and the Bills being this good, no matter what it would be fun. 

 

 

Also just an update FYI, Paula's Donuts is already a staple visit every time we're in Buffalo, we hit up Mulberry's on special wins, I haven't tried Bar Bill yet. We've had all the mac and cheese from Mooney's. Want to try Sinatra's, San Remo, and Tappo next. 

 

I’d add Prescott’s Provisions and Giancarlo’s to your restaurant list.

 

Also you might want to cross the border and check out Niagara on the Lake, the Canadian Falls, Toronto, etc.  Good wineries and breweries up there if that’s your thing.  Inniskillin and Jackson Triggs both have excellent ice wine.  Probably the best region in the world for that style.  I like Exchange Brewing in Niagara on the Lake for some well crafted beers you don’t find many other places.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hit Bemus Point NY for a weekend in August.  Tons of stuff to do, rent a boat Chautauqua Lake, eat at some really good food at ECB and the Italian Fisherman, golf and then party at the local bars at night. I suggest you find a place to stay in town though. PM me if you decide to go,  I will give you more info.

37 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There is really nothing more to do in Buffalo than anywhere else in the country. Nobody wants to hear it, but there's nothing special except for the Bills and Niagara Falls.

Lol,  so spectacularly miserable.  Go to Kearny, Nebraska some time and then come give your updated opinion.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There is really nothing more to do in Buffalo than anywhere else in the country. Nobody wants to hear it, but there's nothing special except for the Bills and Niagara Falls.

You forgot Applebee’s.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know where you rented your place, but the best urban neighborhoods are around Elmwood Ave. You have Elmwood Village, Allentown, Connecticut Ave, all very walkable and full of great pubs and cafes.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would look into renting in the northtowns. So if it does snow it wouldn’t be as heavy. If you rent in the city it could be days before you could get off your street. They don’t plow side streets very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 7:40 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Paula's is gospel truth

 

Wow I have never heard if this place. 

Where is it? I cant wait to check it out. 

 

Portland has a place called Voodoo Doughnuts. They make some crazy stuff. Not really to my taste but super popular.  There is also a chain called Blue Star doughnuts.  Much more traditional and very very good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wow I have never heard if this place. 

Where is it? I cant wait to check it out. 

 

Portland has a place called Voodoo Doughnuts. They make some crazy stuff. Not really to my taste but super popular.  There is also a chain called Blue Star doughnuts.  Much more traditional and very very good. 

 

Paula's is more traditional than Voodoo. But everything they make is amazing. Get the cheese pocket.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Hit Bemus Point NY for a weekend in August.  Tons of stuff to do, rent a boat Chautauqua Lake, eat at some really good food at ECB and the Italian Fisherman, golf and then party at the local bars at night. I suggest you find a place to stay in town though. PM me if you decide to go,  I will give you more info.

Lol,  so spectacularly miserable.  Go to Kearny, Nebraska some time and then come give your updated opinion.

You forgot to mention Panama Rocks in Chautauqua County. Well worth the visit. BTW, the Italian Fisherman is now called simply "The Fish". 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wow I have never heard if this place. 

Where is it? I cant wait to check it out. 

 

Portland has a place called Voodoo Doughnuts. They make some crazy stuff. Not really to my taste but super popular.  There is also a chain called Blue Star doughnuts.  Much more traditional and very very good. 

 

The line for Voodoo can be over an hour long.  But their donuts are unique.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 9:29 AM, extrahammer said:

So a buddy and myself have been kicking around the idea of renting a house in Buffalo for the season, I work remotely and he's a traveling doctor. I'm usually in Buffalo a few times per year for games, we're renting from August to February. 

 

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on things to check out in the area, sightseeing, things going on, etc, between August and February, I know after November December it becomes a lot less likely to do as much outdoors, but wanted to hear some local feedback. I've done Niagara, Letchworth, and many of the local Buffalo parks, but was hoping to hear and visit some things I haven't heard much or anything about. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Go Bills! 🙏

 

We have a house already there and have season tickets, looking for suggestions of things to check out outside of those things.. including food recs. I haven't tried Bar Bill but have had Duff's, the mac and cheese place near Batavia, love all types of food so. 


all excellent ideas from the other posters above, just wanted to add that what you’re doing is a very cool idea and enjoy your extended stay!

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok here is an off the wall idea.  There were occasions where some younger, big city types came to work at my company (which was near Jamestown) for an extended internship.  They were able to get some nice rental deals at the Chautauqua Institution during the offseason which starts at the end of August.  Your timing looks right to me and there is not much demand for housing there during the months you are speaking.  It's a good deal for the homeowners because they have little need for offseason use and their property taxes must be huge there.  The Erie and Buffalo airports are each close to an hour away and the approach and egress to/from High Mark Stadium is a breeze.  According to Greg Tompsett of Cover1, Josh Allen just closed on a house on the grounds which is odd to me but it's tough to know what his intent would be.  The National Comedy Center in Jamestown is worth a trip regardless of where you choose to locate.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...