Renting a house in Buffalo for the season

extrahammer

So a buddy and myself have been kicking around the idea of renting a house in Buffalo for the season, I work remotely and he's a traveling doctor. I'm usually in Buffalo a few times per year for games, we're renting from August to February. 

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on things to check out in the area, sightseeing, things going on, etc, between August and February, I know after November December it becomes a lot less likely to do as much outdoors, but wanted to hear some local feedback. I've done Niagara, Letchworth, and many of the local Buffalo parks, but was hoping to hear and visit some things I haven't heard much or anything about. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Go Bills! 🙏

We have a house already there and have season tickets, looking for suggestions of things to check out outside of those things.. including food recs. I haven't tried Bar Bill but have had Duff's, the mac and cheese place near Batavia, love all types of food so. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

So a buddy and myself have been kicking around the idea of renting a house in Buffalo for the season, I work remotely and he's a traveling doctor. I'm usually in Buffalo a few times per year for games, we're renting from August to February. 

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on things to check out in the area, sightseeing, things going on, etc, between August and February, I know after November December it becomes a lot less likely to do as much outdoors, but wanted to hear some local feedback. I've done Niagara, Letchworth, and many of the local Buffalo parks, but was hoping to hear and visit some things I haven't heard much or anything about. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Go Bills! 🙏

First thing I would do is get seasons. This is the most anticipated Bills season in a long time. Expectations are sky high with fans, media. I would be at every game if I was in Buffalo during that time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Prepare to pay A LOT

Huh?  Rental prices are lower in Buffalo than most other cities.

Sightseeing?  Two Frank Lloyd Wright Houses...  Pierce Arrow Museum...  Architectural tour...

If you like donuts, I saw a list somewhere with Paula's Donuts as one of the 10 best donut shops in America.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

I lived in the regency court apartments like 7 or 8 years ago.  There's another complex somewhere else near the stadium too - big tree something.  Probably like 3-5 minutes from the 219 and 15-20 minutes from buffalo.  

Obviously not a house - but they had furnished units too.  Rex ryan was living in the building next to mine for a few months while his more permanent living solution was found.  

For gamedays it was about 30 minutes from my door to the stadium, but you don't have to pay parking money and you can just go to someone elses tailgate.  Or you could park your car closer and tailgate - then walk home while traffic cleared out.  

Edited by dneveu

Spend August/Early Sept hanging around the city.  I haven't done it, but if you are into bike riding, I always wanted to bike from Buff to Roch (you can actually go all the way to NYC).  Trail Map

Spend End of Sept/Oct hanging around the Southern tier (lots of hiking and such).  The colors of the trees are nuts during that time.

Spend lots of time indoors in Nov/Early Dec (all it does is ran).

End of Dec/Jan, hit up Ellicottville and maybe even do some snowmobiling.  Miles and miles of trails in Southern tier.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

We have a house already there and have season tickets, looking for suggestions of things to check out outside of those things.. including food recs. I haven't tried Bar Bill but have had Duff's, the mac and cheese place near Batavia, love all types of food so. 

Very cool that you’re able to do this. Depending on where my kids end up living someday, my wife and I might end up getting a fall home in upstate New York to be able to enjoy the fall and go to Bills games.

Definitely try Abbot’s Pizza. Also, it’s just nice to drive 20 and 20A to experience all the different towns on that route. It could definitely be a nice day or weekend trip.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lake Erie or Upper/Lower Niagara River fishing charter.  Awesome.  Cinelli's Guide Service.  Steelhead fishing on the Cattaraugus Creek.  Ransomville Speedway.  Deer hunting.  Chautauqua Institute and Lake.  Lucille Ball Museum.  Buffalo Bandits.  Buffalo Sabres.  St Bonaventure, Canisius, Niagara Basketball.  Niagara Hockey.  

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sightseeing?  Two Frank Lloyd Wright Houses...  Piece Arrow Museum...  Architectural tour...

If you like donuts, I saw a list somewhere that Paula's Donuts was one of the 10 best donut shops in America.  

Paula's is gospel truth

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sightseeing?  Two Frank Lloyd Wright Houses...  Piece Arrow Museum...  Architectural tour...

If you like donuts, I saw a list somewhere that Paula's Donuts was one of the 10 best donut shops in America.  

Every time I am in Buffalo we stop at Paula's. So good

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Very cool that you’re able to do this. Depending on where my kids end up living someday, my wife and I might end up getting a fall home in upstate New York to be able to enjoy the fall and go to Bills games.

Definitely try Abbot’s Pizza. Also, it’s just nice to drive 20 and 20A to experience all the different towns on that route. It could definitely be a nice day or weekend trip.

Yeah, it just sort of lucked out with us both being bachelors, being long-time friends, and the Bills being this good, no matter what it would be fun. 

Also just an update FYI, Paula's Donuts is already a staple visit every time we're in Buffalo, we hit up Mulberry's on special wins, I haven't tried Bar Bill yet. We've had all the mac and cheese from Mooney's. Want to try Sinatra's, San Remo, and Tappo next. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, extrahammer said:

Awesome plan! 

What area is your house in?  Hopefully walking distance to a few bars...

Biking is a good recommendation.  We do a bike-brewery ride several times per year in the fall--great time to ride. There are a lot of really good rides in the area, my favorite (outside of the brewery rides) is the ride along Niagara river up to North Tonawanda.  

Check for all of the festivals too.  Here's a link to many, but not all.

https://stepoutbuffalo.com/festivals/  (Chicken wing festival is first weekend in Sept.)

BuffaloRising website is a good source for all things Buffalo:  https://www.buffalorising.com/

Cheers,

TPS

• Like (+1) 1

Don't go cheap on the rental. Spend a few extra bucks on a place with amenities that chicks will dig (or at least have a place near some hotspots).

I'm guessing you guys are single and you'll want to take advantage of the fact that Buffalo girls are pretty easy after a victory. Get the most out of a season that should have a lot of wins. ;)

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Can't go wrong with this...

https://www.wnybreweries.com/

stbc.jpg

Be careful about the above web site.....it is a bit dated.  A few of the breweries have closed and MANY more have opened. 

Real cool place in downtown to visit, is ABV, https://allenburgerventure.com/ for excellent burgers, brews and cocktails, Osteria 166 for Italian, https://osteriabuffalo.com/ (owner is a HUGE Bills fan) and try this for a craft brew site - a bit more updated.... this just barely scratches the surface though... https://bisonbrew.com/best-breweries-upstate-new-york/  Oh and the Finger Lakes!  A must visit for wine/brewery tours up and down the Seneca Lake.....

Enjoy brother - I am ENVIOUS!!!!  Go Bills!!!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.