One of the greatest plays in Bills history! This thrilling win catapulted us into the playoffs!

Chandler#81

23 minutes ago, eball said:

6-5 at the time...went on to win the next three and finished 10-6.

I remember that. In that stretch was a huge win at SD. I think it was 28-27 and the Bills defense forced a Chuck Muncie fumble with the Chargers driving late the 4th quarter to hold on for the win.

• Like (+1) 3

Great thread folks! I miss Van Miller, one of the voices of my childhood. I started getting into football around 1985.

What a tremendous catch by Hooks before the TD!

Poor Joey Ferguson. For a guy who was a QB of the Bills for over a decade, and had an NFL career of 17 or so seasons, and did help Buffalo get to some playoff appearances and a few improbable wins, he doesn't get too much love these days. Would love to see him welcomed back this season to lead a charge (or nicely paced walk!) He is 72, could probably do it with that jaunty gait of his.

Van Miller's pause then excited/disbelieving.... "Caught for a touchdown!" still sends me back to when I was 14 listening to it on the radio....

Ironically, Fergy's last pass of the season, on 4th down in the playoff game in Cincy after the infamous Delay of Game penalty, was down the middle to Hooks just like in the Pats game, but Hooks couldn't repeat the diving catch...

Being a Bills Fan is hard.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I also heard it on the radio. I remember where I was sitting.

Same here.  I was a kid in the back seat of a pinto while my family was driving somewhere- we all screamed excitedly!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, stevewin said:

I've said before the long diving catch Hooks made down the middle before the Hail Mary was the greatest sports play I ever saw live.  I was in the EZ behind the play and saw the whole thing unfold in front of me - the catch was just spectacular - can still picture Hooks parallel to the ground just flying into view like Superman - unbelievable

I've also said before earlier in the game as people were flooding towards the exists I told my brother "We're going to stay - It's going to be an Alcoa Fantastic Finish!" - a reference for the old timers

Yes, sir, the Hail Mary is more amazing when you see the whole improbable drive.  That Hooks catch down the middle, diving over a defender, was freaking awesome.  And for an encore, he won the game on the tipped Hail Mary. 

You were at the stadium?  I envy you!  I wasn't there but did watch the game on TV and, a big Hooks fan, was pulling for him all game.  Sharing the ball with Leaks and Cribbs, Roland wasn't much of a factor until that final, incredible drive.

10 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Van Miller's pause then excited/disbelieving.... "Caught for a touchdown!" still sends me back to when I was 14 listening to it on the radio....

Ironically, Fergy's last pass of the season, on 4th down in the playoff game in Cincy after the infamous Delay of Game penalty, was down the middle to Hooks just like in the Pats game, but Hooks couldn't repeat the diving catch...

Being a Bills Fan is hard.

IIRC, Fergy’s pass bounced off the top of his helmet in the endzone..🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Same here.  I was a kid in the back seat of a pinto while my family was driving somewhere- we all screamed excitedly!

Many families screamed excitedly riding in a Pinto! Then they were never heard from again..😱

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yes, sir, the Hail Mary is more amazing when you see the whole improbable drive.  That Hooks catch down the middle, diving over a defender, was freaking awesome.  And for an encore, he won the game on the tipped Hail Mary. 

You were at the stadium?  I envy you!  I wasn't there but did watch the game on TV and, a big Hooks fan, was pulling for him all game.  Sharing the ball with Leaks and Cribbs, Roland wasn't much of a factor until that final, incredible drive.

He had 75 yards receiving on that drive alone.  Also had a huge 4TD game vs Cinci (I think) that year. 
Some great memories!!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.