One of the greatest plays in Bills history! This thrilling win catapulted us into the playoffs!

Chandler#81

I was there....sort of.   I don't remember exactly, but I believe the couple I was with gave up and wanted leave early to beat the traffic when it looked like the Bills were going down.. We were just outside the stadium when we heard the roar and cheers from the crowd who stayed until the end.

I've learned to NEVER give up when there's still a chance, as slim as it may be.  Don't think I ever again left before the final gun.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And here I thought it was Andy Dalton and the Bungles 

I was thinking of the same day, but the play I had in mind was Kyle Williams scoring a TD as a FB.

• Like (+1) 1

I was there and I've told this story before...we watched that play from the ramp, looking for a quick getaway.  Hooks scores, the place goes wild, and I see a dozen guys burst out of the bathroom, to see what the commotion was all about...some with their pants down around their ankles! :lol:

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I've said before the long diving catch Hooks made down the middle before the Hail Mary was the greatest sports play I ever saw live.  I was in the EZ behind the play and saw the whole thing unfold in front of me - the catch was just spectacular - can still picture Hooks parallel to the ground just flying into view like Superman - unbelievable

I've also said before earlier in the game as people were flooding towards the exists I told my brother "We're going to stay - It's going to be an Alcoa Fantastic Finish!" - a reference for the old timers

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

I've said before the long diving catch Hooks made down the middle before the Hail Mary was the greatest sports play I ever saw live.  I was in the EZ behind the play and saw the whole thing unfold in front of me - the catch was just spectacular - can still picture Hooks parallel to the ground just flying into view like Superman - unbelievable

I've also said before earlier in the game as people were flooding towards the exists I told my brother "We're going to stay - It's going to be an Alcoa Fantastic Finish!" - a reference for the old timers

Yes! I wish this video had all 3 plays of that Drive. Spectacular catch over middle by Hooks!!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I was kid at the time. My family gathered around the radio to listen to the game live, Van Miller with the call. I could not believe what was happening, although it did not surprise me, as I knew that that Bills team was good and experienced.

You might ask why we gathered around the radio? The game was blacked out in the Buffalo area, which was common in the 80's, even with a playoff team. Rich Stadium had a capacity of 80.020, which I believe was the largest in the NFL at that time.

I also owned a Bills cookbook at the time. It featured "Roland Hooks chili". This is a pic of a similar one, but a later release, with Jim Kelly:

attachment-Bills-Grill-Cover-Twitter.jpg

And my obligatory whammy weenie from Bells:

jTCTCFg1kWcisPhuwFTN34mrhKr_5-BL2-rzOlni

25761449_0.jpg

5ef21bb0758a4.image.jpg?resize=583,500

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

Hey, who you calling "old"? LOL. 😃

Yep, "Alcoa can't wait!". I remember those commercials, and the Fantastic Finishes (which were played at the 2-minute warning commercials):

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Alcoa! Awesome mate. Loved those clips. Always at two minute warning, if memory serves

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, chongli said:

I was kid at the time. My family gathered around the radio to listen to the game live, Van Miller with the call. I could not believe what was happening, although it did not surprise me, as I knew that that Bills team was good and experienced.

You might ask why we gathered around the radio? The game was blacked out in the Buffalo area, which was common in the 80's, even with a playoff team. Rich Stadium had a capacity of 80.020, which I believe was the largest in the NFL at that time.

I also heard it on the radio. I remember where I was sitting.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, chongli said:

People forget that the Comeback was blacked out! Had to go to casa de pizza or whatever it's called, the place on elmwood. They sold tickets through the grapevine or else it was a knock three times and ask for Luigi sort of deal. Ha

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Found the rest!

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, chongli said:

I also owned a Bills cookbook at the time. It featured "Roland Hooks chili". This is a pic of a similar one, but a later release, with Jim Kelly:

attachment-Bills-Grill-Cover-Twitter.jpg

And my obligatory whammy weenie from Bells:

jTCTCFg1kWcisPhuwFTN34mrhKr_5-BL2-rzOlni

25761449_0.jpg

5ef21bb0758a4.image.jpg?resize=583,500

Still a pretty good crowd. 71,593 was the official attendance.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.