Epenesa, Ford & Moss -Are they outta here?

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The only one I see is Moss.

Ford and Epenesa have no one pushing them out. Their cheap rookie contracts work in their favor.

This. Miss will be gone. Hopefully traded for a late round pick out r something. He was supposed to be a bit beefier than Motor, yet he hasn’t really shown any of that. 

Ford will get his shot with the new OL coach. He might actually work out enough to hang in for another year as a backup. 

Epenessa will get his shot also. But I don’t expect anything from him. Huge disappointment imo. Lost too much weight since college and gets pushed around. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I judge draft selections partially by looking at who a team passed up in order to select a certain player. In 2006, the draft was loaded with talented players at positions at which we were weak.

Another GREAT example would be the McKelvin pick. Iirc, 2 of the next 3 picks were excellent offensive linemen and our line sucked at the time. No, we had to pass them up for a corner. 😟

Tough times Bro! 

So if we had taken Revis instead of McKelvin it still would have been a bad pick because Revis was a corner?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

who would notice?

This is the correct answer. Will the JAGs continue to be JAGs as backups or be free to be JAGs elsewhere?

Does it really matter?  Unless one of those 3 wake up and become anything more than replacement level players, they don't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ford go.

The other two I would expect to be here. It's still early. Not for too much longer, though.

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I judge draft selections partially by looking at who a team passed up in order to select a certain player. In 2006, the draft was loaded with talented players at positions at which we were weak.

Another GREAT example would be the McKelvin pick. Iirc, 2 of the next 3 picks were excellent offensive linemen and our line sucked at the time. No, we had to pass them up for a corner. 😟

Tough times Bro! 

If you judge things that way, most picks will look pretty bad. Few picks are so good that nobody better gets picked later.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

I feel that Epenesa will have a productive career in this league.  I hope it's in Buffalo.  Somebody will figure out what to do with him.  Maybe that person is Von Miller.  

Ford is a total enigma.  The team targeted him; traded up to get him, and were excited to do so.  A draft profile of Cody Ford  Injuries, etc. have held him back.  Maybe it's coaching.  We're about to find out.

I think that the key to Moss keeping his job will be whether or not they use Cook as a runner and not just a pass catcher.  If both Singletary and Cook can carry the rock, they may use Gilliam in short yardage situations.

• Like (+1) 1

I wanted Moss to be our new age version of Travis Henry, sans the nine kids by nine different women or whatever it was. A slippery 5’9” 220 lb RB who’s tough as hell to bring down. Moss hasn’t shown that type of ability yet and I’m not sure he has it. Henry had exceptional contact balance and lower body strength and was called “the toughest SOB in the league to get on the ground” by Dolphins MLB Zach Thomas. For a pass first team, if Moss makes the 53, his role will be minimal unless he surpasses Singletary. He is our best pass protecting RB, but doesn’t do anything else that wows you. Cook was looking special so far according to Mitch Morse and will likely have a big role in the weekly game plan. 

As far as Epenesa, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I think he has the most value (and upside) of the three. Ford, I was surprised to see his RAS score wasn’t particularly high given he was drafted to be our RT. Those guys have to be athletic and even guards need foot speed. Ford just seems too lumbering and not overly powerful, it’s his last chance to show he’s worthy of being game day active.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Athletic ran a Bills fan survey last year. One of the questions asked “who will lead the Bills backfield in carries?”. The majority of fans voted Zack Moss.

One injury plagued letdown of a season — in which, according to Beane, Moss could not cut off his left foot at all — and Bills fans have completely given up on him.

Funny, I remember just prior to last season, when most Bills fans had pretty much given up on Singletary, too.

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it: Moss is going to have a bounceback season. He’s fully healthy, in great shape, and Aaron Kromer is going to improve the run blocking of our offensive line and shift it to more zone running, which suits Moss’ skill set.

I’m not saying he’s gonna be an All-Pro, but he’s gonna play productive snaps for this offense.

Ford is a bust. I’m done with him.

I’m not expecting much from Epenesa either, and I largely blame the coaching staff’s stupid plan to turn a power rusher into a speed rusher. They should have never asked him to do that. If they didn’t like what he was in college, they shouldn’t have drafted him.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ford go.

The other two I would expect to be here. It's still early. Not for too much longer, though.

If you judge things that way, most picks will look pretty bad. Few picks are so good that nobody better gets picked later.

I did say “partially.” Is that ok or should I completely view this, and perhaps all things the way you do?

49 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I did say “partially.” Is that ok or should I completely view this, and perhaps all things the way you do?

Well, depends if you want to maximize yourself. If you do, yeah, view all things the way I do. There is no alternative for people of true culture. 

But back to reality.

If you judge things only partially that way, then the rest of your method may well be terrific. But it simply isn't fair to judge a pick by what you missed out on. Other than perhaps the very first few picks there's nearly always someone better picked later. Being a human endeavor, that's what you'd expect. Hindsight always makes things look much easier than they actually were.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think Cody Ford is going to really have to fight to make the 53, and it will be an uphill battle. With the addition of Saffold, and depth additions they made in FA, and the only departure being Daryl Williams, I have to think he's pretty far down the depth chart at this point. IMO, he's the most likely to go.

Moss, in my opinion will be competing with Duke Johnson for a third RB spot (not including Taiwan Jones in this equation). I believe Motor, and Cook are locks. The one thing Moss might have to his advantage is his ability in pass protection. I don't know the stats for '21, but in '20 he was the the best RB in pass pro in the league. That is not a small consideration. Personally, my money is on Moss winning the competition, but I wouldn't put odds on it.

Epenesa, in my opinion, isn't going anywhere. The Bills carried 11 D-linesmen last season. The D-line rotation is a hallmark of this defense. I would be pretty shocked if there Bills carried less than five DEs. After Miller, Groot, Lawson, Boogie, and Epenesa, the drop off is pretty large. Could Mike Love, or Eli Ankou, or Kingsley Jonathan beat out AJ? I suppose it's possible.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t think there’s enough balls to go around between Moss/Singletary and now Cook…. I suspect Moss is traded.

That’s a reasonable expectation.

Beane’s recent comments about Moss have me believing that he still believes in him, and thus won’t be so quick to trade away a recent third round pick.

I think there’s a chance Moss is rostered but inactive on most game days unless injury strikes. 

Singletary is likely gone in 2023, at which point they may be hoping Moss can take over the timeshare with Cook for a season, allowing them to kick the “drafting another RB” can down the road to 2024.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you judge things only partially that way, then the rest of your method may well be terrific. But it simply isn't fair to judge a pick by what you missed out on. Other than perhaps the very first few picks there's nearly always someone better picked later. Being a human endeavor, that's what you'd expect. Hindsight always makes things look much easier than they actually were.

Well, I knew that these picks (McKelvin and Whitner to name 2) were mistakes the day they were made mand it was easy to figure for me. And of course, I am not a scout, coach or GM. A 12 year old kid with a copy of Joel Buchbaum's Pro Football Weekly could draft better than Levy/Jauron.

Remember, this thread went in the direction of people being over critical of the Bills and those being total "homers."  My response was in that context, and I'm sorry if I was a bit short.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Why do you think they won't pay Singletary? Do you think he will be too expensive for some reason? 

I like Singletary, but I hope they don’t extend him. He’s not special or dynamic enough that you couldn’t replace his talents with another mid round pick. They also just invested a 2nd round pick in a running back.

In general, unless a running back is special, I don’t think it’s good business to give them a second contract. Even then, it often doesn’t work out — see McCaffrey and Elliot.

I hope they spend that money elsewhere. Knox, Oliver, Edmunds, and Poyer are all coming up, so the Bills will need every last penny.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.