Epenesa, Ford & Moss -Are they outta here?

Chandler#81

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Oh, c’mon, Bill, nobody needs to defend old Badol.  We know you’ve got a bit of a man crush on him; If he just eased up on his condescending, know-it-all manner he’d get a lot more love around here.

Of course the GM both receives the praise and takes the blame for his selections.  No GM in the history of football has batted a thousand.  I don’t think Beane has shown a propensity to “dig in his heels” and keep players who don’t produce just because he drafted them, but I DO think he understands that some players take a little more time than others.  A good GM doesn’t give up on his draft picks too quickly.

Badol is a friend, and I will defend friends when I deem it appropriate to do so. 

Btw, nowhere in my post did I say that Beane was a bad GM. My point was that if he is credited with the good selections, who shoud take responsibility for the bad ones? And for all I know, Ford might turn out to be a very good player some day. That was not my point. 

Discussions would be boring if everybody agreed on every issue, and those that do so on this board have been proven wrong more often than not. There are still folks who claim that Donte Whitner was a solid draft pick and that Dick Jauron was a good coach, and that is great. It is their opinion! I for one prefer and appreciate realism over blind loyalty, but that's just me.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't like to call posters out by name but as far as Jauron, there was one poster who defended him for years. He is either gone or has changed his screen name. The Whitner pick? MANY posters defended this pick, stating that he was "good;" as if this justified the selection. 

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Discussions would be boring if everybody agreed on every issue, and those that do so on this board have been proven wrong more often than not. There are still folks who claim that Donte Whitner was a solid draft pick and that Dick Jauron was a good coach, and that is great. It is their opinion! I for one prefer and appreciate realism over blind loyalty, but that's just me.

Agreed on this point, however I think it’s very easy to see who’s just a blind homer vs. someone who takes a more optimistic viewpoint.  I don’t pay attention to blind homers any more than I do blind pessimists.  I’m labeled a homer because I choose to view things through an optimistic lens.  I think I’m a generally happy person because of my perspective, particularly when it comes to things over which I have no control.  I’m extremely realistic but I hate going down the rabbit hole of realism vs. pessimism because it takes away from why I really come here to participate.  I actually think there’s something inherently wrong with someone who wants to criticize a fan for being a fan.  “You’re not realistic enough” — so what?  We’re fans.  And if you’re a Bills fan visiting a Bills fan website, why shouldn’t you be loyal?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Certainly all three are likely candidates.

Ford has to be on his last chance. 

Moss is next likely.  The churn in the RB room says they're not content.

Epenesa least likely although there are a ton of DL competing for those spots.  

All have a chance to impress in July and save their spots.  All have a chance to be August cuts/trades.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

. The Whitner pick? MANY posters defended this pick, stating that he was "good;" as if this justified the selection. 

I admit that I was one of those that defended the pick (not the player because I don't follow college sports) as I gave the benefit of doubt to the FO for several years. After being burnt by the likes of McGahee, Maybin, Whitner, Flowers, I gradually stopped doing that. But also that I am not averse to first round DBs in general as it is always important to pick a good player more than focusing on the position. Of course, there are some obvious positions you don't spend a 1st rounder on, such as RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I admit that I was one of those that defended the pick (not the player because I don't follow college sports) as I gave the benefit of doubt to the FO for several years. After being burnt by the likes of McGahee, Maybin, Whitner, Flowers, I gradually stopped doing that. But also that I am not averse to first round DBs in general as it is always important to pick a good player more than focusing on the position. Of course, there are some obvious positions you don't spend a 1st rounder on, such as RB. 

I, too, liked Donte. I could get past all the crying about his Draft position because he started immediately and was good. I kept wanting to complain he’s too small, but he kept performing! The team? Not so much.

• Like (+1) 2

Moss has a clear path to making the team...there is no one else in the RB that brings his thump.  Maybe I'm the blind optimist here, but I still remember some promising performances from his rookie year where he would get the tough yards and even the first Miami game last year where he made defenders pay en route to a pair of TD's.  It really seemed like Moss was facing immediate contact last season whenever he carried the ball so he never really had a chance.  As the season went on he found his way into the doghouse and that was that.  Would love to see him carve out a role in this offense in 2022.

• Like (+1) 3

One year ago Moss was presumed by many to be the lead back with Motor seen as a 2nd option and possibly on his way out.  This wasn’t universally true and pointing to fantasy football is never a great idea but look at last year’s drafts and you’ll see what was thought of Moss/Singletary.  It was close but Moss normally went before Singletary.  The same was discussed on this board.  2020 led many to believe Moss was on the rise and 26 had found himself in a precarious spot.

A few games into 2021 not much had changed.  If anything both RBs were seen as issues.  It wasn’t until late in the season where 26 was seen as a contributor to many on this board.

The drafting of Cook is meaningful for sure.  They definitely want him to have a role and three backs is a lot more of a crowd than two.  That doesn’t mean Moss is without an opportunity to prove himself.  He isn’t.  You could make an argument that Cook profiles to take more plays away from Singletary than he does from Moss.  Moss played hurt for a lot of the year too.  He’s not done.

• Like (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I, too, liked Donte. I could get past all the crying about his Draft position because he started immediately and was good. I kept wanting to complain he’s too small, but he kept performing! The team? Not so much.

But truth be told, he did underperform his draft position. Clearly not his fault that he was drafted so high, would have been okay as a 2nd round pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

But truth be told, he did underperform his draft position. Clearly not his fault that he was drafted so high, would have been okay as a 2nd round pick.

I judge draft selections partially by looking at who a team passed up in order to select a certain player. In 2006, the draft was loaded with talented players at positions at which we were weak.

Another GREAT example would be the McKelvin pick. Iirc, 2 of the next 3 picks were excellent offensive linemen and our line sucked at the time. No, we had to pass them up for a corner. 😟

Tough times Bro! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.