Bar-Bill Help

thenorthremembers

I've only eaten at the north location once and it was great.......wings were at least as good as EA.   And the north location is MUCH larger.   The EA one is tight quarters and probably going to be packed full on weekend.   I've had to walk away from the EA location rather than wait a long time to be seated.   Excellent wings but wings are good all over in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've never once had poor service at the Bar Bill.  It's actually always been great.

I had a really really bad experience like 10 years ago and I can hold a grudge a long time LOL.

I've been back though a couple times since so there's that. But I'm not wrong on the wait times

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wife and I are heading into Buffalo this weekend for our anniversary.   She wants to head out to Bar-Bill for wings and hit a Bisons game.

Is there much of a difference between Bar-Bill North and Bar-Bill Tavern?   What wings do you suggest?

Yes.  I live and work close to the North one so I usually go there.  And it’s good.  My friends didn’t believe me when I said the one in East Aurora was much better.  Then they went there.  They said as much to the bartender and he agreed.  He said they’d been doing it so long in EA that everything was completely dialed in.  There just isn’t a comparison.  North is good, EA is a destination wing and beef on weck restaurant. 

I usually go with medium in EA.  Or medium-hot at the North location.  The sauces have been hotter in EA.  It’s a great classic wing.  People rave about the Cajun dry rub and the dill pickle rub.  Both are good, but I prefer something more classic. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I had a really really bad experience like 10 years ago and I can hold a grudge a long time LOL.

I've been back though a couple times since so there's that. But I'm not wrong on the wait times

You are DEFINITELY not wrong on the wait times!!  But it's a once/year thing for me and I know, going in, that there will be a wait.  What's cool is that, while you wait, they let you get drinks at the bar and bring them outside to drink.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, Gugny said:

I've never once had poor service at the Bar Bill.  It's actually always been great.

You haven’t been there enough times.

Since Joe and Marcy sold it in my opinion has gone downhill. This is from a resident of EA. Too many tourist now. Even the locals stopped going.

Ever since LuAnn left who was there for like 45 years as a waitress I stopped going. Ten times better in its heyday. Oh well check it anyways.

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

You haven’t been there enough times.

Since Joe and Marcy sold it in my opinion has gone downhill. This is from a resident of EA. Too many tourist now. Even the locals stopped going.

Ever since LuAnn left who was there for like 45 years as a waitress I stopped going. Ten times better in its heyday. Oh well check it anyways.

A lot of the comments I have been reading on here makes me feel like Bar-Bill is going the way of Duff's.  The original Duff's was amazing 20 years ago but it seems like they went for the chain like recognition around WNY and sold their soul a little bit and lost some of the quality along the way.  I don't think Bar Bill is completely there yet(went last Summer and it was still really good) but it does remind me of the path Duffs went on.

35 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

A lot of the comments I have been reading on here makes me feel like Bar-Bill is going the way of Duff's.  The original Duff's was amazing 20 years ago but it seems like they went for the chain like recognition around WNY and sold their soul a little bit and lost some of the quality along the way.  I don't think Bar Bill is completely there yet(went last Summer and it was still really good) but it does remind me of the path Duffs went on.

I actually feel this way a bit more about Gabriel’s Gate than Bar Bill. On 2 of my last 3 trips to the gate, the wings have not been very crispy. And it wasn’t busy at all the second time it happened. Still very good, but not knock your socks off good like my first few trips there . Don’t have a single thing to complain about food wise on my trips to Bar Bill, although I’ve only been a handful of times. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I actually feel this way a bit more about Gabriel’s Gate than Bar Bill. On 2 of my last 3 trips to the gate, the wings have not been very crispy. And it wasn’t busy at all the second time it happened. Still very good, but not knock your socks off good like my first few trips there . Don’t have a single thing to complain about food wise on my trips to Bar Bill, although I’ve only been a handful of times. 

Haven't been to the Gate in a couple years but in my original post I was referring to Bar-Bill opening up a second location and selling all of their sauces at grocery stores and doing more advertising now.  Seems like they are losing sight of the Mom and Pop shop aspect.  I haven't noticed this with Gabriel's Gate yet.  

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

You are DEFINITELY not wrong on the wait times!!  But it's a once/year thing for me and I know, going in, that there will be a wait.  What's cool is that, while you wait, they let you get drinks at the bar and bring them outside to drink.

There was an Italian place near us in Sarasota. FL that felt bad about making you waiting, so they put FREE WINE outside the door. I almost hated getting a table! 

The food was awesome, then they moved downtown to a much bigger and expensive location.  A great chef has the same business sense as a successful doctor, it seems.   

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Haven't been to the Gate in a couple years but in my original post I was referring to Bar-Bill opening up a second location and selling all of their sauces at grocery stores and doing more advertising now.  Seems like they are losing sight of the Mom and Pop shop aspect.  I haven't noticed this with Gabriel's Gate yet.  

Sorry should have specified I meant the quality / attention to detail aspect, not necessarily the marketing push, selling sauces, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, BuffaloBud said:

My parents (both 83) were there 2 weeks ago.  They said they were the oldest customers in the place, but had a blast.  Service, food, other customers were awesome.  They split an order of wings and a small weck - plenty.  

Lucky for them it wasn't chair throwing Saturday.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 6/25/2022 at 11:06 AM, Beerball said:

Lucky for them it wasn't chair throwing Saturday.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, Draconator said:

I prefer Thursday mud-wrestling throwdown.

Beerball and I have witnessed both chair activity AND sidewalk wrestling at the Bar Bill.  We're the only two who always behave ourselves.

@CountryCletus

@BringBackFergy

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Gabriel's Gate was downright bad last time I went there.  Won't be going back anytime soon.

IMO, Bar Bill is the gold standard for wings in the Buffalo area, with Elmo's and Wingnutz close behind.  I've been to both the EA and Clarence Bar Bill locations, and really haven't noticed a difference.  Speaking of Elmo's, horrible news -  their longtime manager & bartender, Adam Blake, passed away last week after a brief illness.  Young guy, too.  If you've ever been there, you'd know who he is.

8 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Gabriel's Gate was downright bad last time I went there.  Won't be going back anytime soon.

IMO, Bar Bill is the gold standard for wings in the Buffalo area, with Elmo's and Wingnutz close behind.  I've been to both the EA and Clarence Bar Bill locations, and really haven't noticed a difference.  Speaking of Elmo's, horrible news -  their longtime manager & bartender, Adam Blake, passed away last week after a brief illness.  Young guy, too.  If you've ever been there, you'd know who he is.

You never been to "Nine-Eleven Tavern" (911 Bloomfield, South BFLo). Like eating candy🍬😋🤪

That's the Gold Standard... And they are culturally snobby in a "working💪man" kinda way... SouthBFLo > EastAurora/Williamsville/Amherst...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 6/24/2022 at 9:13 AM, BarleyNY said:

Yes.  I live and work close to the North one so I usually go there.  And it’s good.  My friends didn’t believe me when I said the one in East Aurora was much better.  Then they went there.  They said as much to the bartender and he agreed.  He said they’d been doing it so long in EA that everything was completely dialed in.  There just isn’t a comparison.  North is good, EA is a destination wing and beef on weck restaurant. 

I usually go with medium in EA.  Or medium-hot at the North location.  The sauces have been hotter in EA.  It’s a great classic wing.  People rave about the Cajun dry rub and the dill pickle rub.  Both are good, but I prefer something more classic. 

I agree. The North location is good, but its not EA. The wings seemed to be cooked about the same but the sauce was different. Too much of something and not enough of the other then a lot more sauce than EA gives you. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.