Biden Calls for Gas Tax Holiday

3 minutes ago, T master said:

What ever the amount that his 53 or so (29 + in the very first day) executive orders he signed in the first 100 days in office which is the highest in history .

I didn't actually read the orders so i don't know exactly which ones but if one would depend on the lame stream media to actually report about those particular actions we are being foolish & if one thinks that the price of fuel can over yes OVER double in the short time this man has been in office & he had absolutely nothing at all to do with it then they are a dam fool .

It just really strikes me as very strange that this administrations & it's clean energy agenda with change to electric vehicles is coinciding with this fuel price hike coincidence i think not but you go ahead & believe that Putin, Covid & the other reasons they spew are it.

I'll wait to see the BS uncovered like it was when Biden went on national TV & said & i quote "If you get the vaccine you cannot get or spread covid you are completely protected" which just gives me all the more reason to not believe this lying POS  !! 

Then there is this stuff that helps their stance why all the sudden why now ??

https://needtoknow.news/2022/06/union-pacific-rail-to-cut-fuel-shipments-by-pilot-flying-j-truck-stops-and-gas-stations/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOI-uLvTnY&t=2s

But i know none of this will make any sense to those that believe Biden is doing a great job .

I don't think Biden is doing a great job, but the argument that Biden has hampered US production of oil does not match the fact that our current domestic output is near historic highs.

Like I've said, there are multiple reasons why the price has skyrocketed and none of them are easily solved in the short term. There isn't much the president can do to make a big impact on prices in the short term.

25 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I don't think Biden is doing a great job, but the argument that Biden has hampered US production of oil does not match the fact that our current domestic output is near historic highs.

Like I've said, there are multiple reasons why the price has skyrocketed and none of them are easily solved in the short term. There isn't much the president can do to make a big impact on prices in the short term.

I think the real bottleneck is refining capacity.  Which has been falling.  I suspect some of it might be a grade issue where most gulf coast refineries are configured for heavier crude grades and what might be available is lighter which is not producing as much diesel for example.  But I haven't dug into the details.

Given the negativity towards the industry from the President and his administration campaigning with vows to eliminate and cripple the industry. pressuring banks and investment funds to starve the industry of capital, and on day one cancelling Keystone (which if left alone would be operational today), I'd like to hear a compelling argument that might convince a refiner to spend 3 or 4 billion dollars to add capacity in the face of the we're going to eliminate oil and gas mantra.

My major problem with Biden's operating style here is that nothing seems to be thought out ahead of time and there's little concern or intelligence being utilized to consider consequences of actions and policies.  Like everything is a surprise and the effect is to blame but never the cause.  So let's put sanctions on Russian oil exports and sales and financial transactions but not think about how that might impact supply and prices.  Stupid or don't care.  Pick one, both are bad.  The other thing is I don't think there's a single member of his cabinet or inner circle of advisors that have any clue or understanding of how the private sector and businesses work.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

24 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

One thing he could do is stop selling to other countries if we are producing as much as you say & could sell here & the companies would still be making money hand over fist .

Gas tax holiday is the worst way to help the situation because it will drop a gallon by about 20 cents but not deal with the underlying issues. It also is the one of the few taxes that is completely voluntary and necessary. To those of you claiming that Biden is not a large cause of the rise of gas then maybe speak with someone who works, or has ever worked, in the oil industry. Biden is intentionally making it difficult on them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

The timeline to bring new oil production online would not impact current prices. Additionally, there are thousands of permits already that are not being used. The government can issue as many permits as it wants, but if the oil companies don't drill, it won't do anything.

Long term Solution (not including sane energy policies):

Never elect the people that shutdown the planet and scared you into submission because of Orange Man Bad - leading to massive inflation and more Fed interventions because we pumped 9 trillion dollars into the economy but enough were cool with it because hmmmmmm stimulus checks and "telework."  Oh and ..... we're all in this together!

This is going to be 10 plus years before you see anything close to normalcy.  

And I will preemptively shame the media and every low info moron that's going to blame DeSantis and his first 2 years in the White House as being responsible for not fixing fast enough the looming 15% unemployment and $8 national average for gas that's coming.  Or that he's made it worse.  Especially after it's current vacation during the Biden years - well, its resources have been completely diverted to January 6.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

The timeline to bring new oil production online would not impact current prices. Additionally, there are thousands of permits already that are not being used. The government can issue as many permits as it wants, but if the oil companies don't drill, it won't do anything.

oil prices are based on futures. if you have a administration openly saying they are going to end fossil fuels and FUTURE pipelines ect then it be a good guess that supply will be dwindling in the FUTURE. less supply with zero infrastructure to actually change to anything else. LOW supply SAME DEMAND or higher. where do you think that sends prices in the looking to the FUTURE.

at the same time if I'm a oil company, how much money am i going to invest in something I'm being activley told will be wiped out? lets pour billions into new drilling and processing for a president who is looking to destroy our industry? 

stupid tactics to begin with imo. hey fossil fuel im declaring war on you without a backup plan besides "be rich and switch everything to electric". 

im sure oil exects are gouging, makes the president look bad and makes people desperate to elect people that will let them have a free for all.

• Agree 2

18 cents per gallon times average of say 16 gallons per week, times 12 weeks

an extra $35 in each driver’s pocket 

Cmon 

The reality is relative to our global counterparts gas is still inexpensive in the US.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, 716er said:

18 cents per gallon times average of say 16 gallons per week, times 12 weeks

an extra $35 in each driver’s pocket 

Cmon 

The reality is relative to our global counterparts gas is still inexpensive in the US.

Our gas is now more expensive than when I was in Europe in 2018. But good point, Biden is making America as bad as Europe.

• Like (+1) 1

Prices for refined products have increased relative to the price of crude because US refining capacity is down.  When prices tanked during the pandemic many refineries closed.  Current refined distillate output in the US is lower than in 2017.  Prices are up because supply is down, way down.  

image.thumb.png.2851bfa4fa3002aba8904b6ad58be5be.png

Factbox: Which U.S. refineries have shut since the global pandemic, and why?

June 17 (Reuters) - Since the onset of the global pandemic, the United States has lost nearly 1 million barrels per day of oil refining capacity, with more set to be shuttered in the next few years. 

Given a business model where the Federal government is trying to destroy your business (fossil fuels), it's no surprise that no one is going to build a new refinery in the US.  Refineries are large capital expenditures that take companies years to pay back.  Only an idiot would build a new refinery knowing that it could be shutdown (due to the green transition) long before the cost of construction could be recouped.   

Personally, I think the issue with leases and the Biden administrations open disparagement of oil companies does impact crude prices.  The refinery problem is a larger problem that I don't think anyone saw and is an issue I don't see this, or the next administration solving. 

• Agree 1

Average daily driver in U.S. drives 14,200 miles per year. (2017)

Median U.S. vehicle m.p.g. 24 per., nearly 600 gal. needed to drive 14,200 miles (2017)

Three month $0.18 reprieve on 150 gals at $5.00 per equals equals $9 a month, but, yes, people drive more in summer, so double it.

…..thanks, for the two extra c&p pizzas this summer Joe.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

U.S. refiners to urge White House not to ban fuel exports -sources   June 22, 2022

The United States is the world's biggest exporter of refined products, lately shipping a near-record of 6 million barrels per day of products including gasoline and diesel, according to federal data. Restricting exports could temporarily flood the U.S. market, lowering prices, but refiners could respond by reducing output.

In 2015, The U.S. lifted a 40-year ban on crude oil exports that was put in place to help keep the country less dependent on the Middle East. In the last two years, the country has become a net exporter of crude oil and refined products, making it one of the most important players in global energy markets.

“If refiners aren’t allowed to export, they’re just going to slow down production and cut the refinery utilization rate,” according to Bob Yawger, director of energy futures at Mizuho.

Yawger said excess products would likely be sent into inventories, which are at multi-year lows.

“Refiners would lose money on it and refiners are not a charity,” he added.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-refiners-urge-white-house-not-ban-fuel-exports-sources-2022-06-22/

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think the real bottleneck is refining capacity.  Which has been falling.  I suspect some of it might be a grade issue where most gulf coast refineries are configured for heavier crude grades and what might be available is lighter which is not producing as much diesel for example.  But I haven't dug into the details.

Given the negativity towards the industry from the President and his administration campaigning with vows to eliminate and cripple the industry. pressuring banks and investment funds to starve the industry of capital, and on day one cancelling Keystone (which if left alone would be operational today), I'd like to hear a compelling argument that might convince a refiner to spend 3 or 4 billion dollars to add capacity in the face of the we're going to eliminate oil and gas mantra.

My major problem with Biden's operating style here is that nothing seems to be thought out ahead of time and there's little concern or intelligence being utilized to consider consequences of actions and policies.  Like everything is a surprise and the effect is to blame but never the cause.  So let's put sanctions on Russian oil exports and sales and financial transactions but not think about how that might impact supply and prices.  Stupid or don't care.  Pick one, both are bad.  The other thing is I don't think there's a single member of his cabinet or inner circle of advisors that have any clue or understanding of how the private sector and businesses work.

Shocker!

US exports even more oil as domestic gasoline and diesel prices spike
January-May crude exports at all-time high; refined products exports back to pre-COVID levels
 Greg Miller Follow on TwitterTuesday, May 31, 2022

U.S. energy exports are booming at the very time domestic gasoline and diesel prices are at or near their peaks. With America’s fuel prices expected to rise even further, the “resource nationalism” debate — should we be exporting commodities we need? — is heating up.

European imports from the U.S. were 1.27 million b/d in May, “a record high, accounting for 40% of all imported U.S. barrels, with volumes [favoring] the Netherlands, Spain and Italy. This has come at the expense of barrels into India, Canada and South Korea.”

U.S. clean products exports are still overwhelmingly headed to Latin America. According to Kpler data, Latin America accounted for 2.15 million b/d, or 87%, of all U.S. seaborne imports to any destination in May.

In November 2021, long before the recent price surge, 11 senators asked President Joe Biden to “consider all tools available at your disposal to lower U.S. gasoline prices … [including] a ban on crude oil exports.”

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us-exports-even-more-oil-as-domestic-gasoline-diesel-prices-spike

Oil From U.S. Strategic Reserve Heads for Europe Amid Global Supply Crunch        April 18, 2022                             

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-18/texas-port-sends-strategic-u-s-oil-to-europe-amid-supply-crunch

Edited by ALF

It’s a Biden Festivus miracle! Almost six months after he told Americans to expect some pain and sacrifice from Putin’s Price Hike (😂😂😂) he decides he too can actually help, and that his do nothing government can also endure some pain and sacrifice. What an utterly clueless Administration! 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Precision said:

Prices for refined products have increased relative to the price of crude because US refining capacity is down.  When prices tanked during the pandemic many refineries closed.  Current refined distillate output in the US is lower than in 2017.  Prices are up because supply is down, way down.  

image.thumb.png.2851bfa4fa3002aba8904b6ad58be5be.png

Factbox: Which U.S. refineries have shut since the global pandemic, and why?

June 17 (Reuters) - Since the onset of the global pandemic, the United States has lost nearly 1 million barrels per day of oil refining capacity, with more set to be shuttered in the next few years. 

Given a business model where the Federal government is trying to destroy your business (fossil fuels), it's no surprise that no one is going to build a new refinery in the US.  Refineries are large capital expenditures that take companies years to pay back.  Only an idiot would build a new refinery knowing that it could be shutdown (due to the green transition) long before the cost of construction could be recouped.   

Personally, I think the issue with leases and the Biden administrations open disparagement of oil companies does impact crude prices.  The refinery problem is a larger problem that I don't think anyone saw and is an issue I don't see this, or the next administration solving. 

No refineries of notable capacity have been built in this country since the 1970s.  1977 to be precise.  Theres a little more to the story than just the Biden admins anti-fossil fuel position.  For all Biden's efforts to kill the oil and gas industry its doing remarkably well.  Perhaps its more performative than substance.

23 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You really think no one considered the consequences of a near global embargo on Russian oil exports?  No one on his team had an inkling that banning exports from a top 5 oil and gas exporting nation might create massive shortages across Europe and increase prices globally?  

On 6/22/2022 at 3:20 PM, Big Blitz said:

This is going to be 10 plus years before you see anything close to normalcy.  

And I will preemptively shame the media and every low info moron that's going to blame DeSantis and his first 2 years in the White House as being responsible for not fixing fast enough the looming 15% unemployment and $8 national average for gas that's coming.  Or that he's made it worse.  Especially after it's current vacation during the Biden years - well, its resources have been completely diverted to January 6.  

Hahahahahahahahaha they're getting you ready:

Fed says banks could withstand 10% unemployment, 55% stock price drop in annual stress test

The Federal Reserve Board on Thursday projected the potential for a rockier road ahead for banks than it did a year ago, but said the 33 financial institutions it reviewed passed its annual stress test of capital reserves.

The Fed estimated $612 billion in potential losses for banks in its most severe economic scenario, and said even if this comes to pass, banks would still be healthy enough to provide loans to homes and businesses to keep the economy afloat. That’s a $50 billion more-severe loss projection than a year ago by the largest banks.

“This year’s hypothetical scenario is tougher than the 2021 test, by design, and includes a severe global recession,” the Fed said in a statement.

The Fed’s model included a 5.75% increase in unemployment to 10%, a 40% decline in commercial real estate prices and a 55% drop in stock prices.

Fed says banks could withstand 10% unemployment, 55% stock price drop in annual stress test:

https://on.mktw.net/3zZufj7

Edited by Big Blitz