Jaylon Ferguson Died

aristocrat

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When I do partake, I use a vaporizer (https://arizer.com/solo2/) which significantly reduces the smoke and just gives me the good stuff.

I'll bring it to the Steelers game and let @mragsgive it a whirl!!

yeah vap is better. smart

when at rare party....i would look for that and avoid regular type smoking. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Caffeine and alcohol are drugs is the weakest argument I’ve ever heard in my life. But if you want to go with that. Whatever. 

All drugs are bad imo. They are doing nothing but degrading society, and these days, at incredible rates. There was once a war on drugs. (maybe some of it was political) but it was beneficial at the time, for many years. 

No caffeine and nicotine are absolutely drugs, as is alcohol. Nicotine and alcohol are basically the leading causes of death in the US (cigarettes obviously, but alcohol aside from the obvious impacts also gets converted into cholesterol by the liver).

The War on Drugs was beneficial in what way exactly?

The way I see it is that the war on drugs literally caused this situation we are in. I don't want to get into a situation where we get this thread locked and I think this could be a really positive conversation where we both learn and grow, just probably not in this thread. That said, I strongly encourage you to read about what has been done in the Netherlands and their approach to drugs.

Also, check out the research around psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and mdma (ecstacy)and the impacts on PTSD and major depression. It's insane.

I've lost way too many friends and acquaintances to this crap (at least five in the last two years, and at least ten overall). None of them were into any serious drugs when I was hanging out with them either (most got into it post college).

One wasn't even an addict, just took some benzos and drank too much just about 10 years ago. She was such an amazing person and I miss her so much.

Another was one of my best friends from high school's brother. Was close to the brother too. Think that was fentanyl. That one, of all of them got me the worst, like very much not close to starting to even really process it. To the point that I haven't even talked to my friend in almost two years since it happened, let alone written him a text saying I was sorry for his loss cause I don't know what to say.

Abstinence only education and punishment are not going to solve these problems.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

No caffeine and nicotine are absolutely drugs, as is alcohol. Nicotine and alcohol are basically the leading causes of death in the US (cigarettes obviously, but alcohol aside from the obvious impacts also gets converted into cholesterol by the liver).

The way I see it is that the war on drugs literally caused this situation we are in. I don't want to get into a situation where we get this thread locked and I think this could be a really positive conversation where we both learn and grow, just probably not in this thread. That said, I strongly encourage you to read about what has been done in the Netherlands and their approach to drugs.

Also, check out the research around psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and mdma (ecstacy)and the impacts on PTSD and major depression. It's insane.

I've lost way too many friends and acquaintances to this crap (at least five in the last two years, and at least ten overall). None of them were into any serious drugs when I was hanging out with them either (most got into it post college).

One wasn't even an addict, just took some benzos and drank too much just about 10 years ago. She was such an amazing person and I miss her so much.

Another was one of my best friends from high school's brother. Was close to the brother too. Think that was fentanyl. That one, of all of them got me the worst, like very much not close to starting to even really process it. To the point that I haven't even talked to my friend in almost two years since it happened, let alone written him a text saying I was sorry for his loss cause I don't know what to say.

That is FAR too many lives lost, and families devastated. I’ve posted this here before, but by the time our kids were 20 they had gone to more funerals than I have my entire life. And it’s not even close. 

I used to work with a guy who made an interesting point: if you legalize weed at dispensaries you are not exposed to the dealer who is also happy to sell you coke, or benzo’s or the rest of the menu. I could argue either way, but there is some truth to that. 

I have an old college buddy who is in his 60’s and just retired. Every once in a blue moon, after he’s had a few drinks, he has a guy he calls to get some coke. I’ve begged him not to, but once in a while he slips up. You have no idea what you’re actually getting! If somebody somewhere along the line cut that with just a little bit of fentanyl that little snort could be the last thing you ever do. 

33 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

it's not the nicotine that kills smokers, it's the lung damage from inhaling smoke and the cancer chemicals coming with that smoke.

alcohol kills over long term by attacking brain and organs. Short term if OD also.

alcohol behavior is deadly as so many fight kill rape suicide after drinking and drive after drinking.

but omg yes fentanyl is the devil incarnate. sad for all loses. meth is devil too but not as acutely fatal.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

That is FAR too many lives lost, and families devastated. I’ve posted this here before, but by the time our kids were 20 they had gone to more funerals than I have my entire life. And it’s not even close. 

I used to work with a guy who made an interesting point: if you legalize weed at dispensaries you are not exposed to the dealer who is also happy to sell you coke, or benzo’s or the rest of the menu. I could argue either way, but there is some truth to that. 

I have an old college buddy who is in his 60’s and just retired. Every once in a blue moon, after he’s had a few drinks, he has a guy he calls to get some coke. I’ve begged him not to, but once in a while he slips up. You have no idea what you’re actually getting! If somebody somewhere along the line cut that with just a little bit of fentanyl that little snort could be the last thing you ever do. 

And you could totally try and be safe and get a home test kit, but with how potent fentanyl is, the only real way to have it show up in my mind (assuming it is even a powder) would be to dilute the entire amount, test that and then dry it back out. Otherwise, how the heck are you going to catch a few grains of the stuff in a sample. It's just not realistic that people are going to do that, particularly people doing it casually as a one off thing.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

You even need to be careful buying weed now.  Dealers are lacing that with fentanyl, too.  The days of scoring a dimebag from any Joe Schmo you meet are long gone.  Way too risky.

There are dispensaries now where you can buy weed safely and legally.

I found one out in Gowanda (https://goodleaf716.com/), which will suffice until something closer to home pops up.

It's a great option compared with buying from some guy on the street.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

it's not the nicotine that kills smokers, it's the lung damage from inhaling smoke and the cancer chemicals coming with that smoke.

alcohol kills over long term by attacking brain and organs. Short term if OD also.

alcohol behavior is deadly as so many fight kill rape suicide after drinking and drive after drinking.

but omg yes fentanyl is the devil incarnate. sad for all loses. meth is devil too but not as acutely fatal.

If you look at the research on "gateway drugs" though, a lot of it is showing it isn't actually weed, but cigarettes (not sure if that's true with nicotine vapes, since that seems to be a lot less of a rebellious act).

@Augie you touched on that meeting the dealer for weed is what gets people into harder stuff. Agree to a point.

In my opinion, it's more that one of the individual's friends goes to the dealer and gets something and brings it back to the larger friend group and normalizes it. 

Cigarettes get people into that friend group, where they then have opportunities to rebel more. Then weed comes in, then alcohol, then the harder stuff. The gatewaying happens before the weed in my experience/based on some research I've read.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:39 AM, Ralonzo said:

Everyone knows where it comes from. Everyone knows how it gets here. Should be an easy fix.

There isn't a Fentanyl problem here in New Zealand, so I am really unfamiliar with it.

That said... where does it come from and how does it get there?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, cba fan said:

Another thing about alcohol that many people don't seem to realize is that it causes cancer.

I only learned this a couple years ago, and am really surprised it's not more well known.

The risk of developing cancer increases with a higher use of alcohol. For example, the evidence suggests that the risk of breast cancer for women increases by around 7-10 percent per standard drink per day

https://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-its-effects/health-effects/alcohol-related-health-conditions/cancer

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:49 AM, mrags said:

Yeah no. All drugs. I don’t believe in doing any drugs. I don’t agree that so much is acceptable now. 

So no coffee, tea, nicotine, alcohol or prescriptions for you?  
or are your drugs good and weed is bad?

On 6/23/2022 at 7:41 PM, Bad Things said:

Another thing about alcohol that many people don't seem to realize is that it causes cancer.

I only learned this a couple years ago, and am really surprised it's not more well known.

https://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-its-effects/health-effects/alcohol-related-health-conditions/cancer

yeah all fried food and any food browned causes cancer. Even toast. As does salty fish and salty soups as Japanese research into their high stomach cancer rates found.

all meat especially red meat. it never ends. Breathing in metro CA is like a 3 cigs or up to 1 pack a day smoker lung result.

I firmly believe our life expectancy is longer than it should have been obviously. In which case shorter lifespan of a few years due to diet has lowered worries of diet killing you.

Life expectancy has steadily increased but has taken a few year hit due to covid, and even more now due to uneducated unvaxxed dying at such a high rate. But that is a common and expected human nature proponent of life expectancy.

Edited by cba fan
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

So no coffee, tea, nicotine, alcohol or prescriptions for you?  
or are your drugs good and weed is bad?

I’m not getting into an argument with anyone about the legality of MJ. I think it’s wrong and that’s all their is to it. 

comparing weed to coffee, tea, and soda is comical. If that’s how you want to feel about it. So be it. Just don’t bother me anymore about it. 

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m not getting into an argument with anyone about the legality of MJ. I think it’s wrong and that’s all their is to it. 

comparing weed to coffee, tea, and soda is comical. If that’s how you want to feel about it. So be it. Just don’t bother me anymore about it. 

My buddies daughter has CDLK5 and has violent seizures often.  Well when they administer marijuana, she stops shaking.  If that was your daughter, how would feel about weed?

You are right- comparing soda to weed is comical.  One has many medical benefits, the other makes you obese 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mrags said:

One of my co workers was addicted to Dr Pepper.  When I met her, she was 21 and a super cute and in shape cocktail waitress at the Mirage pool in LV.  She ate super healthy and didn’t eat sweets…..but drank 6-12 Dr Peppers a day.  Everyone peached to her that she needed to chill with soda. She was diagnosed with Diabetes (not sure which type) by age 23.  Died @ 31.  Heartbreaking.  Soda literally killed her.  

Good for you that you live such a healthy life.  👍🏻

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

My buddies daughter has CDLK5 and has violent seizures often.  Well when they administer marijuana, she stops shaking.  If that was your daughter, how would feel about weed?

You are right- comparing soda to weed is comical.  One has many medical benefits, the other makes you obese 

Your buddies daughter using weed to calm her seizures is one thing. Using weed as a recreational drug is completely different. 

My argument isn’t and has never been about medicinal cases. It’s about people using it as a recreational drug. Working high. Driving while high. Etc. even though it is illegal to do, and highly (pun intended) frowned upon, it happens. And it’s just as bad as driving under any other influential drug. 

let’s get real about obesity. It’s not just soda. It’s candy. Cheeseburgers. Overeating in general. The US is the most obese nation on the planet. So what. I’d much rather walk by a bunch of fat people eating candy bars and downing mountain dews on the corner than 2-3 people smoking joints. Bothering me with their disgustingly stinky crap. 

what is even more comical is that smoking is so frowned upon in the last 20 or so years. They’ve taken the ability to smoke cigarettes away from just about everyone, just about everywhere (which I’m also glad about) but smoking weed on the streets is acceptable. It’s a joke. 

I’m not saying you are, but most people that are so defensive about marijuana being legal are just potheads. 

10 hours ago, mrags said:

Your buddies daughter using weed to calm her seizures is one thing. Using weed as a recreational drug is completely different. 

My argument isn’t and has never been about medicinal cases. It’s about people using it as a recreational drug. Working high. Driving while high. Etc. even though it is illegal to do, and highly (pun intended) frowned upon, it happens. And it’s just as bad as driving under any other influential drug. 

let’s get real about obesity. It’s not just soda. It’s candy. Cheeseburgers. Overeating in general. The US is the most obese nation on the planet. So what. I’d much rather walk by a bunch of fat people eating candy bars and downing mountain dews on the corner than 2-3 people smoking joints. Bothering me with their disgustingly stinky crap. 

what is even more comical is that smoking is so frowned upon in the last 20 or so years. They’ve taken the ability to smoke cigarettes away from just about everyone, just about everywhere (which I’m also glad about) but smoking weed on the streets is acceptable. It’s a joke. 

I’m not saying you are, but most people that are so defensive about marijuana being legal are just potheads. 

Actually, the general rule of thumb when it comes to WHERE it's legal to smoke weed is - if smoking cigs is permitted/prohibited, then smoking weed is permitted/prohibited.  Except, of course, whilst driving, etc.

I have no statistics, but my guess is that most people who smoke weed recreationally enjoy doing it in the comfort of their homes.

I also don't think legalization will result in more people driving/working high.  Like with alcohol, I think most people "do the right thing," when it comes to where/when.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Jaylon Ferguson died from the combined effects of fentanyl and cocaine, according to medical examiners on Friday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34180056/baltimore-ravens-jaylon-ferguson-died-combined-effects-fentanyl-cocaine-officials-say

• Sad 2

As a former daily smoker (context) who still will dabble,  I think we need to wait to determine how smart it was to basically market MJ like it is medicine. Yes, it can have medicinal value, but now you can get it so easily and in so many forms. I would actually advocate to go back to flower only. Between edibles, carts, it's just too easy for a seasoned smoker to be high all the time. That is not good for anybody and will lead to habitual addiction even if THC itself isn't overly addictive (which I agree it is not).  

Edited by KzooMike

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.