Niners’ Kittle advocating for two bye weeks

UConn James

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Please just get rid of ALL the preseason crap, and thoroughly re-work the entire schedule to catch the game up with modern times.

One big labor fight ought to get it all done.

I think it will eventually be an 18 game regular season with 2 preseason games. I know fans think preseason sucks (and it does) but coaches use it to evaluate players in game situations especially rookies and players who are fighting for roster spots. I don't think they will get away from preseason completely. Look on the bright side preseason = start of tailgating season.

I’m in favor of a single bye week with the entire league having the same week off. That weekend would become a pseudo national holiday with people traveling, etc on a mid-fall weekend. 

But, I could very much get behind two bye weeks (same idea of a league wide bye), an eighteen game regular season, and only two preseason games.

Of course Kittle would want another bye week. He can't stay healthy. But I feel like he's Dawson Knox-like in that most of his injuries come from his aggressive playing style. Of course you love it when he's available, but his absence is felt so hard when he is out. 

His injury history found on https://ninernoise.com/2021/06/15/george-kittle-injury-history-outlook-49ers/

George Kittle calf injury, 2021
Kittle dealt with a calf injury in Week 4 but still played with it before being placed on injured reserve heading into the Niners’ Week 5 game, which meant he’d miss at least three weeks.

George Kittle broken foot and MCL sprain, 2020
Kittle suffered a knee injury after Week 1 last year, which forced him out of the subsequent two weeks where San Francisco traveled to MetLife Stadium.

Yet that wasn’t the big injury he dealt with during the year, as Kittle ended up catching a high pass from fill-in quarterback Nick Mullens in Week 8 against the Seattle Seahawks, landing awkwardly on his foot, causing a fracture that sidelined him for six more weeks. Some thought it smart for head coach Kyle Shanahan to shelve Kittle for the rest of the year, but the tight end returned for the final two games of the season, helping engineer the 49ers’ final win of the year in Week 16.

George Kittle knee sprain, 2019
Fans won’t soon forget Kittle’s heroic performance on Halloween back in 2019 where he was playing with banged-up ribs and a knee sprain.

But that particular injury forced him to miss the following two weeks — Weeks 10 and 11 — allowing No. 2 tight end Ross Dwelley to step into Kittle’s absence.

George Kittle shoulder sprain, 2018
Going back to the 2018 preseason, Kittle suffered an A/C joint separation in his right shoulder during the Niners’ exhibition opener, which immediately caused concern he had suffered a broken collarbone. Fortunately, the injury didn’t cause any major damage, and Kittle was able to return in time for the regular season where he’d go on to set the single-season record at the time for tight end receiving yards with 1,377.

George Kittle ankle and hamstring sprain, 2017
After being selected by San Francisco in Round 5 of the 2017 NFL Draft, Kittle suffered a hamstring injury in training camp, but that didn’t hold him back from being ready in time for Week 1. He did, however, suffer an ankle injury later during the regular season, which forced him to miss Week 10.

George Kittle foot sprain, 2016
During his final collegiate year at Iowa, Kittle suffered a pedal foot sprain against Purdue on Oct. 15, which caused him to miss two games and limited his production leading up to the NFL Draft the following year.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, UConn James said:

I get the sense that the owners are saving the second bye to introduce in conjunction with the 18th game, as a ‘favor’ / trade off to the players.

My guess is it’ll be one preseason game, two teams get a second for the Hall of Fame game, and leave it up to teams to conduct joint practices.

Then again, we saw what the lack of all but like 5 minutes of preseason vs Packers last season did for Josh as he seemed pretty rusty to start the season.

I could live with 1 preseason game but they played none in 2020 and the competition and quality of play was fine

Being there is, seemingly, no NFL over saturation point and their coffers continually grow and overflow, they now regularly tinker to evolve and spread their product. 

Was a time players balked at the notion of more than a 16 game regular season. They deemed it too excessive, money has changed that.

An 18 game season with 2 byes seems marathon like, but if half the league is playoff eligible with two games left, the seats will be sold and the ratings will be there.

Edited by I am the egg man

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I haven’t read you’re article yet, but this was tried in 1993.  The owners didn’t like it, but was collectively bargained with the first free agency.

They discussed this interview on MTC last week.  Kirwan stated he was in Mgmt for the Jets during that time.  Those two guys purported it most likely won’t happen until the next CBA which I thought they referenced 2032.

Pat’s position is this is inevitable in the next CBA, they will push hard for an 18 game season, and their concession will be two bye weeks, and they will be dropping

It was an interesting premise, and as you guys who listen to the show in the afternoons, they bring up very interesting topics and usually prior to the show do some prep work on these topics.

They convinced me this will happen.  It’s one more way the league can negotiate for more streaming options, and even higher TV contracts.  The owners will only hear the following this…

Never gets old.

This will be Rog Goodell in his NYC office with all his minions around evil laughing.

Nice to hear from you, MGK.

Clarification question on your comment about the 2032 CBA. Did you mean that we won’t have an 18th game until then, that we won’t have a second bye until then or both? I hope it’s not until 2032 as I was really looking forward to going to an 18th game sooner.

Thanks for clarifying, bro!

Make it fair to all teams. If it is an 18 game season with 2 bye weeks, just make week 7 and 14 byes for the entire league. Play 6 games, get a bye, play 6 games, get a bye, play 6 games - playoffs or go home. 

This would eliminate the disadvantage of playing a team coming off a bye, and balance the scales a little bit so teams aren't getting stuck with a bye in week 4 after just 3 games played. 

Edited by Conlan58
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

Make it fair to all teams. If it is an 18 game season with 2 bye weeks, just make week 7 and 14 byes for the entire league. Play 6 games, get a bye, play 6 games, get a bye, play 6 games - playoffs or go home. 

This would eliminate the disadvantage of playing a team coming off a bye, and balance the scales a little bit so teams aren't getting stuck with a bye in week 4 after just 3 games played. 

I love your idea, but I don’t think the NFL will go for it.

They’re going to want to have games be played every week instead of having corporate bye weeks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

TV is THE biggest money maker for the NFL. They will NEVER have a complete off week, let alone two, when they could have more TV time, more prime time slots, etc. But 18 games, 2 buy weeks, 2 pregames, it's totally doable. It would benefit the league, the teams, the TV networks, the players it just makes sense.

• Agree 1

been a two bye advocate for long time

the thursday nite games should not be played with teams playing the Sunday game before, short rest-recoop plus compressed planning, travel, logistics, stress, etc

every thurs nite game should be played with teams coming off of byes and two byes should accomodate this and gives a better product.

shorten to two pre-season games, teams can add a joint practice,  1 or 2 days as a substitute...scant national TV coverage of the pre-season,  i think 6 games total this upcoming pre-season is not a significant loss of NFL revenue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

The owners should be all in! An extra week of content and advertising. Make the season last longer, make more money. If it happens to be good for the players too? All the better! Just make the players feel like the owners did it for them, and file that “public chip”. 

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

18 games, 2 bye weeks, and no preseason games

The problem is the league wants no games prior to Labor Day and pushing it further into February IMO is asking for trouble like a playoff game needing to be moved. 

Maybe the NFL will come up with plan that teams which are #8 in ranking in hunt for playoffs for AFC and NFC will be emergency playoff sites assuming THAT stadium will be available for a game.  I expect NFL has already told all teams that their stadiums must be available (not scheduled for other events) weeks of playoffs,  Imagine the issues if they didn't and events were scheduled in their stadiums when teams were still in playoff hunt.

If they add an 18th game, I think the fair way to do it would be to add another non-conference opponent, opposite end of the divisional standings from prior season.  So if we finished 1st in our division, we’d play a 4th place NFC team the next year (we already will play a 1st NFC team, this will help balance the scales).  Also, every team will then be back to an equal number of home and away games.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

TV is THE biggest money maker for the NFL. They will NEVER have a complete off week, let alone two, when they could have more TV time, more prime time slots, etc. But 18 games, 2 buy weeks, 2 pregames, it's totally doable. It would benefit the league, the teams, the TV networks, the players it just makes sense.

How about this?  Half the league gets a bye on week 7, the other half week 8.  Do it again weeks 14 & 15.  Or something like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think that’d be great, it would make it more fair. More byes = better football

Bills lost to the Jags 2 weeks after the bye...

Also, despite only 1 bye and longer season, the playoffs featured more great games than I've seen in one season in a while.

4 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

Killing off two weekends of NFL gambling? 😳

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.