Niners’ Kittle advocating for two bye weeks

UConn James

In the most recent episode of Kevin Hart's "Cold As Balls" show, San Francisco 49ersstar tight end George Kittle said that the NFL should adopt an extra bye week to combat the rigors players face with an additional regular-season game.

"There's a huge physical toll," Kittle said, via NBC Sports. "And like, 17 games is a lot. It's a lot of games, with one bye, whether it's Week 4 or the bye is Week 11. I'm advocating for two byes.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-george-kittle-advocates-for-two-bye-weeks-says-he-spends-a-couple-hundred-thousand-on-body-upkeep/amp/

Absolutely going to be a necessary addition, especially when the owners go to 18 regular season games. It’s needed even now with 17.

Wonder what the “upkeep” costs are that aren’t covered by the team / insurance….

League year went into mid-February and the sky did not fall, interest did not decline, over-saturation was not a thing.

Even during the Kelly years there used to be two bye weeks. Time to go back to that.

57E7DCEC-E1B9-4C93-AD4D-F49F5A92F9D2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, UConn James said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-george-kittle-advocates-for-two-bye-weeks-says-he-spends-a-couple-hundred-thousand-on-body-upkeep/amp/

Absolutely going to be a necessary addition, especially when the owners go to 18 regular season games. It’s needed even now with 17.

Wonder what the “upkeep” costs are that aren’t covered by the team / insurance….

League year went into mid-February and the sky did not fall, interest did not decline, over-saturation was not a thing.

Even during the Kelly years there used to be two bye weeks. Time to go back to that.

The owners should be all in! An extra week of content and advertising. Make the season last longer, make more money. If it happens to be good for the players too? All the better! Just make the players feel like the owners did it for them, and file that “public chip”. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The owners should be all in! An extra week of content and advertising. Make the season last longer, make more money. If it happens to be good for the players too? All the better! Just make the players feel like the owners did it for them, and file that “public chip”. 

I get the sense that the owners are saving the second bye to introduce in conjunction with the 18th game, as a ‘favor’ / trade off to the players.

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

18 games, 2 bye weeks, and no preseason games

My guess is it’ll be one preseason game, two teams get a second for the Hall of Fame game, and leave it up to teams to conduct joint practices.

Then again, we saw what the lack of all but like 5 minutes of preseason vs Packers last season did for Josh as he seemed pretty rusty to start the season.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

18 games, 2 bye weeks, and no preseason games

18 and 2 byes..........but 2 preseason games are going to happen.

The NFL has been playing 20 games since back in the 14 regular season game days when they had 6 preseason games.............20 was collectively bargained long ago and the owners aren't giving up 3 preseason games just to add 1 regular season game.

The starters don't need to play in those games but the owners want the ticket revenue and tv money for those preseason games.........and teams need to evaluate the depth..........and yeah, they  get a lot of ticket revenue because us season ticket holders have to pay for them.    

• Agree 6

The additional week would mean more primetime games. Which I think would translate to more revenue even if the number of games for each team stays at 17. But eventually it will go to 18. At that point we will likely see 2 pre season games, 18 regular season games and 2 bye weeks. Throw in future expansion and we might get up to 8 playoff teams per conference. That could get us back to bye weeks for both the 1st and 2nd teams which I like over the current format of only the 1st seed receiving a bye. But that is a wash for me because I don't really like the idea of 8 playoffs teams per conference. But if the league expands by 2 teams per conference we are at least still < 50% of teams making the playoffs. 

Perhaps the 4 total expansion teams end up all being international teams. England, Germany, Canada and Mexico. Not sure how you divvy up the commences though. Would hate to change the current conference formats of 4 teams per division and 4 divisions per conference. Maybe the 4 international teams form their own division and rotate conferences every year. Basically guaranteeing a international team to make the playoffs every year. 

37 minutes ago, UConn James said:

I get the sense that the owners are saving the second bye to introduce in conjunction with the 18th game, as a ‘favor’ / trade off to the players.

My guess is it’ll be one preseason game, two teams get a second for the Hall of Fame game, and leave it up to teams to conduct joint practices.

Agree, we won't see the second bye week till we get 18 games. But that's probably not too far off. Maybe within 3-5 seasons. I think they will have 2 pre-season games. It's not just a warm up game for the players and coaches but also for the broadcast crews and everyone working the stadiums. Each stadium will want to make sure everything is running smoothly; broadcast, security, concessions, parking etc. That will require two preseason games. 

26 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Baseball players have no “Bye” weeks. This is preposterous. Baseball is probably the most arduous and physically grueling sport known to man. @Gugny votes “Hell no!”

It's just a bit more grueling than golf. Unless you are first basemen. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

I haven’t read you’re article yet, but this was tried in 1993.  The owners didn’t like it, but was collectively bargained with the first free agency.

They discussed this interview on MTC last week.  Kirwan stated he was in Mgmt for the Jets during that time.  Those two guys purported it most likely won’t happen until the next CBA which I thought they referenced 2032.

Pat’s position is this is inevitable in the next CBA, they will push hard for an 18 game season, and their concession will be two bye weeks, and they will be dropping

It was an interesting premise, and as you guys who listen to the show in the afternoons, they bring up very interesting topics and usually prior to the show do some prep work on these topics.

They convinced me this will happen.  It’s one more way the league can negotiate for more streaming options, and even higher TV contracts.  The owners will only hear the following this…

Never gets old.

This will be Rog Goodell in his NYC office with all his minions around evil laughing.

Edited by machine gun kelly

Every time there was talk about adding weeks to the schedule, I always said why not throw another bye in. That way the nfl can technically stretch the season another whole week without even adding a game and the players association would take it to counter the safety issues of playing another game. I’m not sure why there already isn’t two. It’s a win-win for the league and the players.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.