Trevor Lawrence asked to be paid in Crypto currency

PromoTheRobot

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Is it? Doesn't it get taxed?

it has to get taxed.

if not we all could ask for our paychecks in crypto then immediately convert it to dollars and avoid income TAX 100%. Why would not everyone do this if allowed?

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Taxed twice and fees.  Collect 10M get taxed 3.2M, buy 6.8M in crypto, pay 1% of that in fees and then get taxed on the sale. Or, be paid in crypto before tax, get taxed for it at EOY, hopefully the gains pay for some of the taxes.  Kinda like stocks.  Probably didn’t work out as well in this case.

?? would you not pay tax only on the gains?  over the 6.8 mill you put in. ??

but better question is: this makes no sense. Isn't crytpo just like other currency.

If i convert 1000 USD to Canadian dollars(1000 USD worth) and put them in my wallet to spend when i visit Canada. I don't get taxed when the buying power of those Canadian dollars go up due to exchange rate changes.

Can someone explain this?

56 minutes ago, cba fan said:

?? would you not pay tax only on the gains?  over the 6.8 mill you put in. ??

but better question is: this makes no sense. Isn't crytpo just like other currency.

If i convert 1000 USD to Canadian dollars(1000 USD worth) and put them in my wallet to spend when i visit Canada. I don't get taxed when the buying power of those Canadian dollars go up due to exchange rate changes.

Can someone explain this?

I'm not a CPA (seems like this needs to be stated in todays world). That said, Crypto is not considered currency in the US, it is considered property and is subject to capitol gains taxes if not held for a year. So if you elected to be paid in Crypto you would need to hold for one year and not convert it into fiat currency to avoid paying capitol gains. Further, any additional gains that you accrued from your initial payment, such as the Crypto currency rising, would also be subject to taxes in the same fashion as your initial payment.

So hypothetical, say I'm paid $10,000 in BTC. If I convert that BTC to fiat inside of one year, I will pay standard income tax on the 10k in accordance with my tax bracket and I will pay capitol gains taxes as well. If I wait one year, I will just pay taxes in accordance with my income tax bracket. If my original $10,000 becomes $20,000, it's the exact same process. The additional $10,000 is subject to potentially both income and capital gains should I not wait a full year prior to converting to fiat. That is the event that triggers the tax, the conversion to fiat currency. So if any of these guys flipped the BTC right away and avoided the down turn, they also paid capitol gains to do so. Fortunately you can deduct as much as $3,000 per year in losses, but I don't think that will be very comforting for them to hear.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not my cup of tea but I won't make fun of the man or anyone else who took a chance. Not all investments pan out and scared money don't make money. At least he has plenty of money and can recomp his losses eventually. 

also, crypto in general is up hugely if you stretch the timeline at all. 

ol Trevor hit at a bad timing but most investments look rough over his unfortunate timeline. 

it’s not impossible to see new ATH down the line either. Down now does not mean down forever 

6 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

So many people acted like they were investment geniuses touting crypto for a while.  Everything they said has shown to be false.  Imagine. 

yea those poor suckers that bought Bitcoin 5-10 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

If you are considering investing in cryptocurrency, DON'T. It's a ponzi scheme. The people at the top get a percentage of your investment and you get squat unless you can find enough suckers to offset your loss. Just say "No thanks." and keep your hard earned cash.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

If you are considering investing in cryptocurrency, DON'T. It's a ponzi scheme. The people at the top get a percentage of your investment and you get squat unless you can find enough suckers to offset your loss. Just say "No thanks." and keep your hard earned cash.

I watched that Netflix doc recently about the Canadian fella who ran a crypto exchange that went bust, taking people's savings with it and then died in mysterious circumstances in the far east. I understand basically nothing about crypto but any curiosity I had over it was pretty much extinguished. 

12 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Any investment you make can go up or down. If you are over-leveraged or sell it when it's down then you are an idiot no matter what you are into. Typically you sell when it goes back UP so the fluctuations shouldn't bother you if you are in something long term. Did you think people that owned real estate were dumb in 2008?

When things go down is when you should be buying. Crypto is on sale right now. If you think it's dumb then don't buy it, but I think it's already proven that it has staying power. It's bottomed out like this a few times now and the current lows are the 2017 highs, back when everyone started freaking out about it as a great investment. The next time it bottoms out it might drop under 6 figures and people will be laughing about it again then saying how dumb people were to buy it when a lot of us bought it for pennies on the dollar and are way up either way.

Also, some purists people believe crypto is the $ of the future so if that's the case then it doesn't matter how it correlates to USD because if some day USD doesn't exist or inflation goes so high that it's worthless then you want crypto stashed away either way.

For me it’s not that Bit Coin doesn’t have a place or avenue of you’re well informed, but if you have a finite first career before you move onto you’re lifelong career, and it’s a volume of $ you probably won’t see later in life,  wouldn’t you want to be somewhat risk averse and tap the toe in the waters vs. jumping in head first.  

Ah the youth. To be young and dumb and think you know more than people you’re elders.  He could’ve taken that contract traditionally, done his hw. With hopefully a good advisor, and maybe placed 5% of his contract to then assess the ROI.

Im too old in my early 50’s to take on that risk.

So stupid.  You don’t speculate the majority of your net worth on something highly volatile…that’s investing 101 and not exactly rocket science.  

It’s why (before crypto) when in investing in volatile and high reward yet high risk commodities versus stocks, you only put a max of 5% to 10% of your investment portfolio into commodities, if you even did at all.  

For anyone to put that much of their net worth into crypto is both stupid and shows how naive Millennials really are where they think all they need to know is on Twitter and Reddit when it comes to investment strategies.  

Crypto has made a lot of people wealthy, I mean I have friends, multiple friends, who have Individually made hundreds of millions on bitcoin and especially ethereum.  But they were in very early.  I know a lot of people who did very well even after the values got high, but these were investments using a calculated amount of money.  Not just blindly putting their entire net worth into it while at the highest values it’s seen.  

And now we are seeing a lot of people who got in at the higher values who have now lost a lot of money and it’s a guess on whether they will ever even get back to even or continue to lose.  

Crypto will likely bounce back, but it’s a big question mark how high it will get back to, plus we don’t know how much Trevor sold as it dropped, he may have already realized a lot of those losses or he could have sold very little and can MAYBE claw some value back.  But it’s so volatile, that it’s possible it could keep going down as well.  

Just a foolish move to wager that much money on a highly volatile market.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It turns out if you buy into a new market after watching a celebrity Super Bowl ad, you're not getting in on the ground floor.

Exactly. As soon as they started advertising it, you just know its a ploy to get the last suckers on the Ponzi scheme plane before people sell and tank it. I feel bad for the fools who bought in after seeing those ads. That should have been a red flag.

Blockchain technology is interesting and holds lots of potential, but it really not ready for primetime at all, nor is the crypto associated with it a stable ore reliable investment. To me crypto investment is just like gambling. Don't "invest" more than you can afford to lose in crypto. But maybe you will get lucky. And really, luck is all that is involved at this point.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Sounds a lot like most peoples 401ks right now.  

Crypto is high risk backed by nothing. The market was severely over valued for the last 2 years do to easy money. The market just corrected 20% Bitcoin is down more than 60%

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.