Trevor Lawrence asked to be paid in Crypto currency

PromoTheRobot

39 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Almost 23m in kickbacks though?

No, there's no way it would be enough to offset the losses (assuming he didn't sell it immediately)

19 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Hmm... Interesting opinion...

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

I mean there's no real incentive for them to be paid directly in crypto considering they could just buy it with their signing bonus 

59 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Whats the advantage to being paid in crypto as opposed to being paid in usd and then buying crypto with it? Isnt it taxed as income either way?

Taxed twice and fees.  Collect 10M get taxed 3.2M, buy 6.8M in crypto, pay 1% of that in fees and then get taxed on the sale. Or, be paid in crypto before tax, get taxed for it at EOY, hopefully the gains pay for some of the taxes.  Kinda like stocks.  Probably didn’t work out as well in this case.

48 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ask that question in 2 years.

If you know anything about crypto, you'd know that is nothing new, was expected and will pass.  

1 BTC was $2,000 in May of 2017.

Yep, all about the bitcoin halving & 4 year macro cycle. The downside exacerbated by the greater global macroeconomic situation. When your 'safe' investments in the S&P or Nasdaq tank, you know fake digital ponzi's will tank even more haha. I'm a big investor & crypto-enthusiast but a cleansing was needed. Evidently there's still more downside to go, as Shiba-Inu pumped 30% today. People havent felt enough pain yet if theyre still buying memecoins. I believe its going to take 1-2 years for our current crisis to play out. TLaw's btc value per usd this season will be dirt cheap, but his 2022 salary could 3-5x in the future if/when its USD value goes back to ATH's (like it should).

Tlaw makes millions from endorsements i imagine. Millions in cash so i can see why he took the risk with his salary. Hope it pays off for him bcuz it'd mean we all went to the moon together :P

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, arcane said:

If he was willing to go through with that, I highly doubt he sold and locked in any significant losses. Someone willing to take a paycheck in BTC isn't panicking when price goes down (as it has many ti.es before) in the face of such ***** macro conditions 

And I hope PTR leaves this thread unlocked so we can come back at a future date and see exactly "how that's working out"

Investing in a basket of stocks (ie S&P500) is always a wise idea, providing you dont need the money for 10 years.  Look at any 10 year time-frame in 1900-2000.  Over 10 years, stocks ALWAYS had a positive return, with an average of 8+%.

But crypto is a new animal.  Stocks in IBM, Amazon, and yes,even Blockbuster, had tangible assets backing them.

Crypto has a bunch of electrons backing it.

I read a fascinating article a year ago stating that the author didnt know which Crypto (Bitcoin Etherium, etc) would gain dominance in years to come, but he was confident it wasnt Bitcoin.  Had to do with the expense of mining and/or maintaining the crypto.  That newer cryptos were somehow more efficient.

Bottom line; having a high risk/high reward asset such as crypto isnt a bad idea.  To have 50+% of your assets in crypto is..????

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Any investment you make can go up or down. If you are over-leveraged or sell it when it's down then you are an idiot no matter what you are into. Typically you sell when it goes back UP so the fluctuations shouldn't bother you if you are in something long term. Did you think people that owned real estate were dumb in 2008?

When things go down is when you should be buying. Crypto is on sale right now. If you think it's dumb then don't buy it, but I think it's already proven that it has staying power. It's bottomed out like this a few times now and the current lows are the 2017 highs, back when everyone started freaking out about it as a great investment. The next time it bottoms out it might drop under 6 figures and people will be laughing about it again then saying how dumb people were to buy it when a lot of us bought it for pennies on the dollar and are way up either way.

Also, some purists people believe crypto is the $ of the future so if that's the case then it doesn't matter how it correlates to USD because if some day USD doesn't exist or inflation goes so high that it's worthless then you want crypto stashed away either way.

This is all news to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not all Crypto Currencies are created equal.  Depends which ones you own.

Aren't they all taking on water?

2 hours ago, arcane said:

If he was willing to go through with that, I highly doubt he sold and locked in any significant losses. Someone willing to take a paycheck in BTC isn't panicking when price goes down (as it has many ti.es before) in the face of such ***** macro conditions 

And I hope PTR leaves this thread unlocked so we can come back at a future date and see exactly "how that's working out"

For sure.

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

That's my understanding of it. The advantage would be the crypto company giving the celebrity $$ in a separate deal to promote their product. 

Pretty stupid tweet anyway. We have no idea if Lawrence is still holding crypto or not. It's very believable he dumped his position for a nice gain. 

That's a telling comment. I don't get that a good investment needs promotion, you know? 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It turns out if you buy into a new market after watching a celebrity Super Bowl ad, you're not getting in on the ground floor.

Chivalry may be on the ropes, but diversification is DEAD to some! 

Just imagine that stupidity! You take what you make, THEN you diversify! Sure, get a little crypto if you want to. Don’t take ALL crypto! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How's that working out?

You could do same thing with stock market from a year ago, and nobody would be calling him stupid in 20 years.

Nobody loses anything until they sell at a loss, and he'll be smart enough to not anytime in the next decade or two

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Any investment you make can go up or down. If you are over-leveraged or sell it when it's down then you are an idiot no matter what you are into. Typically you sell when it goes back UP so the fluctuations shouldn't bother you if you are in something long term. Did you think people that owned real estate were dumb in 2008?

When things go down is when you should be buying. Crypto is on sale right now. If you think it's dumb then don't buy it, but I think it's already proven that it has staying power. It's bottomed out like this a few times now and the current lows are the 2017 highs, back when everyone started freaking out about it as a great investment. The next time it bottoms out it might drop under 6 figures and people will be laughing about it again then saying how dumb people were to buy it when a lot of us bought it for pennies on the dollar and are way up either way.

Also, some purists people believe crypto is the $ of the future so if that's the case then it doesn't matter how it correlates to USD because if some day USD doesn't exist or inflation goes so high that it's worthless then you want crypto stashed away either way.

I like you lol we could hang out 😆😆

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.