Climate Change And Heat Waves

As if we don't have enough problems with GOP coups and Putin's wars, climate change is still going forward 

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/21/heat-wave-records-europe-north-america-summer

Two extraordinary heat waves sent temperatures soaring into uncharted territory in Europe and the U.S. prior to the summer solstice, setting new benchmarks for the month of June in several European countries.

Why it matters: The early season extreme heat is a development meteorologists are calling "unsettling" and "unprecedented." These events are a clear warning sign of global warming's growing influence on day-to-day weather.

Heat waves are deceptively deadly, with heat illnesses striking the most vulnerable among us, from the homeless to the elderly, along with poorer residents who cannot afford air conditioning.

Such events are particularly dangerous when they occur in late spring or early in the summer, before people are accustomed to the high temperatures.

• Haha (+1) 1

Okay but i wonder why here in Tenn. our spring was unseasonably colder longer this year it stayed in the 30's & 40's much longer this season .

But you don't have to worry i read a short thing sent to me that Joe the wing nut is on top of it he said that because of the high rate of increasing fuel prices it is a opportune time to change to alternative clean energy .

Which was the agenda all along stop domestic oil production which will raise the price of all fossil fuels say that it's the energy companies raising prices then Putin pulls his BS which just plays into the agenda & eventually the American people are spending so much more cash to fill their vehicles they have no other choice than to but than to buy electric vehicles .

Which hey that will save a ton of money the Chevy Silverado EV RST is only $105,000 that is would be the equivalent make of the Silverado gas or diesel  version that sells for $80k so with the savings on the electric truck & the monies that will have to be put into upgrading the grid in order to handle all these new electric vehicles it should be a total money saver .

Oh and they will still need to have fossil fuels to produce the amount of electric needed for this wind mills & solar will not be able to do it on there own .

Then another problem with that going forward is last week here when the temps got higher the gov't & electric company's were asking all of their customers to turn their AC up as to not use more electricity & over burden the grid so refer to the 4th paragraph about upgrading the grid .

If this is what they are asking just because of a bit higher than usual out door temp - HOW THE HELL WILL THE GRID HANDLE ANOTHER 200K PLUS ELECTRIC CARS ???

There Old Wing Nut Joe goes implementing his agenda with out a plan with any common sense or reason of how to get there this dude loves to put the cart before the horse all the time .

But it's all to save the planet so he'll run with it ...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

Okay but i wonder why here in Tenn. our spring was unseasonably colder longer this year it stayed in the 30's & 40's much longer this season .

But you don't have to worry i read a short thing sent to me that Joe the wing nut is on top of it he said that because of the high rate of increasing fuel prices it is a opportune time to change to alternative clean energy .

Which was the agenda all along stop domestic oil production which will raise the price of all fossil fuels say that it's the energy companies raising prices then Putin pulls his BS which just plays into the agenda & eventually the American people are spending so much more cash to fill their vehicles they have no other choice than to but than to buy electric vehicles .

Which hey that will save a ton of money the Chevy Silverado EV RST is only $105,000 that is would be the equivalent make of the Silverado gas or diesel  version that sells for $80k so with the savings on the electric truck & the monies that will have to be put into upgrading the grid in order to handle all these new electric vehicles it should be a total money saver .

Oh and they will still need to have fossil fuels to produce the amount of electric needed for this wind mills & solar will not be able to do it on there own .

Then another problem with that going forward is last week here when the temps got higher the gov't & electric company's were asking all of their customers to turn their AC up as to not use more electricity & over burden the grid so refer to the 4th paragraph about upgrading the grid .

If this is what they are asking just because of a bit higher than usual out door temp - HOW THE HELL WILL THE GRID HANDLE ANOTHER 200K PLUS ELECTRIC CARS ???

There Old Wing Nut Joe goes implementing his agenda with out a plan with any common sense or reason of how to get there this dude loves to put the cart before the horse all the time .

But it's all to save the planet so he'll run with it ...

I wish car companies would have kept investing in small combustion engine technology. And clean diesel. You can pump plenty of horsepower out of a 3- or 4-cylinder engine, more than enough for anyone's driving needs, and still get amazing gas mileage. Maybe I'm just old fashioned now.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I wish car companies would have kept investing in small combustion engine technology. And clean diesel. You can pump plenty of horsepower out of a 3- or 4-cylinder engine, more than enough for anyone's driving needs, and still get amazing gas mileage. Maybe I'm just old fashioned now.

No i don't believe so meaning you are not that old fashion . I can remember back in some where around 1979  - 2 guys in NYC had a had a Mercury Capri that had a V-8 in it i assume it was a 302, these guys had been working on a carburetor for quite some time & this was the test run NYC to Miami was the route .

When they got to Miami they figured out how many MPG they got it worked out to be 50 MPG in 1974 from a V-8 after that you never heard another word about those guys or the carburetor they had built .

The new 4 cylinder engines make as much HP as V-8's do and are much cleaner and more efficient than ever before but that's still not good enough & never will be because it's not part of the agenda .

I said that to say this . I drive a Prevost bus on a tour & the new buses & semi's that carry people  & equipment are amoung the cleanest burning engines they have ever built they have a regeneration system that reburns the carbon and they have DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) that also helps to burn off any left overs to be just about as efficient as a motor can be .

Coal on the other hand could be a different story but as far as our use of fossil fuels here in the US the politicians are blowing the left over diesel smoke from the 70's up our asses because the cars, trucks & gas home furnaces, along with anything else that burns fossil fuels are all at about 98% efficiency so there's more to the story than clean air .

China, India, & other countries are the biggest abusers of polluting the air & they don't care anything about it but the US is always the one that has to bear the brunt of making it better instead of holding those other countries feet to the fire why you ask ? Because they own the US and if we start to push in any way they could make life 10 times worse than it is now .

Someone (and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a bunch of politicians) stand to make a S**T ton of cash off of pushing this electric thing not to mention the control they would have over us all ! There would be no mad max running around stealing gas if the world went that way alls they have to do is shut off the power & we would all be screwed !!

So just as it has always been with the US gov't there is a alternative motive but you & i will never know that is ! Then there are those that follow this fool we have in the White House (and this agenda) right now will never have balls enough to question him & will believe & follow what ever he says .

So i don't believe you are old fashion you just see things through a clearer pair of glasses than some & you along with myself won't have to worry a lot about it i know i'll be long gone it's our grand children that will have to live through all of that . 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

Seattle is had a cold and wet spring.  Now that summer is officially here, they are expecting 80 this weekend for the first time this year.

This spring has been bad.

How bad? The worst in a decade, according to Seattle Weather Blog. Since March 1, the mean average temperature at Sea-Tac is a hair north of 48 degrees, the coldest since 2011 and the 13th lowest since the airport started keeping track in 1945. Halfway through this soggy May, we’re already threatening record rain tallies for the entire month, per the National Weather Service.

https://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-city-life/2022/05/bad-spring-weather-seattle-2022-forecast-la-nina

11 hours ago, T master said:

No i don't believe so meaning you are not that old fashion . I can remember back in some where around 1979  - 2 guys in NYC had a had a Mercury Capri that had a V-8 in it i assume it was a 302, these guys had been working on a carburetor for quite some time & this was the test run NYC to Miami was the route .

When they got to Miami they figured out how many MPG they got it worked out to be 50 MPG in 1974 from a V-8 after that you never heard another word about those guys or the carburetor they had built .

The new 4 cylinder engines make as much HP as V-8's do and are much cleaner and more efficient than ever before but that's still not good enough & never will be because it's not part of the agenda .

I said that to say this . I drive a Prevost bus on a tour & the new buses & semi's that carry people  & equipment are amoung the cleanest burning engines they have ever built they have a regeneration system that reburns the carbon and they have DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) that also helps to burn off any left overs to be just about as efficient as a motor can be .

Coal on the other hand could be a different story but as far as our use of fossil fuels here in the US the politicians are blowing the left over diesel smoke from the 70's up our asses because the cars, trucks & gas home furnaces, along with anything else that burns fossil fuels are all at about 98% efficiency so there's more to the story than clean air .

China, India, & other countries are the biggest abusers of polluting the air & they don't care anything about it but the US is always the one that has to bear the brunt of making it better instead of holding those other countries feet to the fire why you ask ? Because they own the US and if we start to push in any way they could make life 10 times worse than it is now .

Someone (and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a bunch of politicians) stand to make a S**T ton of cash off of pushing this electric thing not to mention the control they would have over us all ! There would be no mad max running around stealing gas if the world went that way alls they have to do is shut off the power & we would all be screwed !!

So just as it has always been with the US gov't there is a alternative motive but you & i will never know that is ! Then there are those that follow this fool we have in the White House (and this agenda) right now will never have balls enough to question him & will believe & follow what ever he says .

So i don't believe you are old fashion you just see things through a clearer pair of glasses than some & you along with myself won't have to worry a lot about it i know i'll be long gone it's our grand children that will have to live through all of that . 

There's another aspect that I know ties into the push for EVs: automation.

Electric vehicles can be integrated so easily into their plans for a national, and eventually global, automated system. Automated vehicles can easily charge themselves with electricity and if there is a malfunction, then the consequences aren't as dangerous.

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm entertained by our futile attempts to stop climate change. This is a cyclacle planet process that's been going on for millions of years, but sure ... let's try to control it. 🙄

More carbon in air traps more heat. It’s that simple. Yes, other factors are invading lived and the climate changes on its own, also. If you leave an ice cube on a table, it will melt. If you pour salt on it it will melt faster. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

More carbon in air traps more heat. It’s that simple. Yes, other factors are invading lived and the climate changes on its own, also. If you leave an ice cube on a table, it will melt. If you pour salt on it it will melt faster. 

Yah that may be true but they being the people pushing for this stuff only tell you what they want us to here to make their point they don't include the fact that they are cutting down trees at a record pace & they take the carbon out of the air & there are other components that contribute but they leave that out & it's only about the cars & fossil fuels .

10 minutes ago, T master said:

Yah that may be true but they being the people pushing for this stuff only tell you what they want us to here to make their point they don't include the fact that they are cutting down trees at a record pace & they take the carbon out of the air & there are other components that contribute but they leave that out & it's only about the cars & fossil fuels .

we still have lots of trees man 

I find this chart from The Economist to be helpful when trying to gauge some of the macro trends of climate change.

It's not that all places will always be warmer all of the time; it's that, on average, places will generally be warmer. Additionally, our current extreme heat events will become more common and we will begin to experience even worse heat events.

Sure, there will still be snow in the winter (though there may be less) and we will still have some nice weather in the spring and fall, but overall we are going to see more droughts, wildfires, heatwaves and other events that will negatively impact our crops, wildlife, and our lives.

Economist Climate Change.webp

17 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I find this chart from The Economist to be helpful when trying to gauge some of the macro trends of climate change.

It's not that all places will always be warmer all of the time; it's that, on average, places will generally be warmer. Additionally, our current extreme heat events will become more common and we will begin to experience even worse heat events.

Sure, there will still be snow in the winter (though there may be less) and we will still have some nice weather in the spring and fall, but overall we are going to see more droughts, wildfires, heatwaves and other events that will negatively impact our crops, wildlife, and our lives.

Economist Climate Change.webp

Seems like more rain in some areas, also. Warmer air holds more moisture and that means larger rain and snow events 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Seems like more rain in some areas, also. Warmer air holds more moisture and that means larger rain and snow events 

From what I've seen, the Great Lakes basin will be least affected while the west will have more frequent wildfires and the south will have reduced crop yields.

There are some informative maps here: https://projects.propublica.org/climate-migration/

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Humans are the salt, my man. 8 billion grains of salt all over this cube and rising.

The only thing we can do to help the Earth now is to leave it. That's why we're trying to find other habitable planets. Time to spread out again.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Humans are the salt, my man. 8 billion grains of salt all over this cube and rising.

The only thing we can do to help the Earth now is to leave it. That's why we're trying to find other habitable planets. Time to spread out again.

Again?