Most Dominant NFL Player Ever

hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, Rico said:

If hockey was a major sport, I might agree with Gretzky... but it isn't. Might as well ask who was the most dominant Spelling Bee champion.

Looks like Somebody doesn’t like hockey and then decided it wasn’t a sport because of that…

hockey is a major sport, and it has been since the 70s at least. It’s why in American sports there’s considered “the big four” of MLB, NHL, NBA and the NFL.

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Looks like Somebody doesn’t like hockey and then decided it wasn’t a sport because of that…

hockey is a major sport, and it has been since the 70s at least. It’s why in American sports there’s considered “the big four” of MLB, NHL, NBA and the NFL.

SuperBowl Viewers= 112M

World Series Viewers= 11.8M

NBA Finals Viewers= 13.5M

NHL Finals Viewers= 3.5M :lol: 

On 6/21/2022 at 1:04 AM, Starr Almighty said:

There's plenty of players you can pick from but since football is a contact sport, they usually don't dominate for an entire career.

Tom Brady is a 7-time super bowl champion.  I don't think there is any other player in any other sport who has dominated his sport except may be Don Bradman in Cricket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bradman

The great Don average 99.96 runs every time he went to bat.  The next best average is like 60.   

Edited by ganesh

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

Tom Brady is a 7-time super bowl champion.  I don't think there is any other player in any other sport who has dominated his sport except may be Don Bradman in Cricket

The great Don average 99.96 runs every time he went to bat.  The next best average is like 60.   

You are counting his team success, where  I am using his individual stats. He has won 7 times but he didn't do that alone or at least I don't think he did.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:09 AM, ganesh said:

Is Bill Russel the best basketball player of all time then, since he won 11 championships?

The easy NFL answer is obviously Brady.

But you could look at a guy like Barry Sanders and make an argument for him too despite never winning a championship or playing on many good teams during his career. The numbers he put up were simply ridiculous and he could have done a lot more if not for retiring early and/or joining a different team eventually.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:53 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Ruth faced a bunch of ham and Eggers most of the time. He looks like he was taking BP in those old films.  A far superior athlete in Barry Bonds had to subsequently  get jacked on steroids to hit more HRs than Ruth because he was regularly facing far better starters and closers (didn't really exist in Ruth's day) than existed in Ruth's day. Ruth doesn't get 30 HR facing pitchers of Bonds's heyday.  Curt Schilling, Pedro, Glavine, Maddux, Smoltz (on one team!), Clemens......Randy Johnson would have destroyed Ruth.  

Not to dwell on the obvious but Ruth would had to have been at least in his 90's to face those guys.

All right, went for humor first but editing with a few little known facts about the Babe.

Lou Gehrig is the all time Yankee leader in stealing home with 15. Babe is second with 10 (tied for 32nd all time.)

Babe held the record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched in world series for 43 years until Whitey Ford broke it (it's since been broken again at least once.)

Last Boston Red sox pitcher to have back to back 20 game win seasons was Roger Clemens in 86-87.  The last Red Sox pitcher to accomplish the feat before that was Babe Ruth in 16-17. Was a much better trivia question before Clemens won his 20th in 87.

2.28 career ERA is 15th all time

Edited by Steve O

On 7/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, Rico said:

If hockey was a major sport, I might agree with Gretzky... but it isn't. Might as well ask who was the most dominant Spelling Bee champion.

You can't look at individuals since there have been no repeat champions, you need to look at sponsors. The Rocky Mountain News sponsored 7 winners between 1957 and 2002. Or was this a rhetorical analogy? 

On 6/20/2022 at 12:26 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Babe Ruth is the most dominant professional athlete in major American sports history.  When he hit 54 homers in the 1920, the next best guy - a star in his own right - only hit 19.  Babe was hitting at another level: a staggering 184% better than the next greatest long ball hitter that year.  The next year, the story was pretty much the same: Babe was 146% better than the next biggest star.  

But what about football?  The NFL doesn't have a Babe Ruth.  Brady is great because he's been one of the top 5 QBs in the league since our own star QB, Josh Allen, was in kindergarten.  Yet Brady was never - statistically anyway - far and away the best QB in the league in any particular season.   Not the same way Babe was.  

There are, though, two NFL players who do come to mind when I think about dominance.  You've got to go back a few years back to the time when the best athletes became RBs and defenses were designed to stop & destroy those backs.  In 1973, OJ had 75% more yards than the next best RB.  Ten years earlier, Jim Brown had 70% more yards than the #2 guy.  Both these guys were transcendent, mind-boggling talents.  

In Brady's most dominant season, 2007, he only finished with 8.7% yards more than the next best guy.  Brady might be the GOAT.  But in their prime, OJ and Jim Brown were more dominant.  

Babe Ruth was dominant against the players he was allowed to play with/against.   From what I’ve read Willie Mays might be the most dominant as an all around baseball player: hitting for average, hitting for power, fielding, base running, etc. and he did it at a time when his competition wasn’t filtered. 

Jerry Rice is my answer.  He was a machine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.