Buffalo food suggestions? (I know, I know...people have strong opinions)

Logic

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I've never had BoW with gravy.   It's generally believed to have been brought over from German immigrants and I grew up in predominantly German WNY town where most of the grandparents didn't speak much english and BoW was had at a lot of gatherings and I've never seen this gravy thing being done. :lol:

In my experience most places around Buffalo that serve BoW are pretty good.   Even had a couple good sandwiches at the Charlie the Butcher that's inside the convenient store in East Aurora.:lol:    I like going to Swiston's though.   Just BoW and chili.   That's all they make and both are excellent.     

I haven't been to Swiston's in years, but always had a great beef there.

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But it's not the dark side... Bailo's was an originalist... They made it that way.  So did others.  We agree to disagree.  A beef on week isn't a French dip with a salted roll.   Horseradish also plays a part in it's uniqueness.  

It's nothing like a  French dip!  Beef on Weck is served with au jus and quality horseradish.  And don't forget about the caraway seeds on that salted roll! 

If you use gravy, then you just made yourself a hot roast beef sandwich.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It's nothing like a  French dip!  Beef on Weck is served with au jus and quality horseradish.  And don't forget about the caraway seeds on that salted roll! 

Without the caraway seeds, it’s something else entirely. Something less. 

Both my sisters are in town currently. Today I have a beat the heat menu with gazpacho, cucumber/tomato salad, black bean and corn salad, ice cream cake, etc. Oh, and I’ll sweat my tail off with some chicken on the grill. 

TOMORROW will be leftovers and BEEF ON WECK DAY! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Beef on weck is a hot roast beef sandwich! 😆   /smdh... Outsiders.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The people that put ketchup on scrambled eggs will never understand this.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Dean said:

😕Mr . Sizzle?

Newish?

2 years or so? On Connecticut.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lots of people think Allentown burger venture is better

You know what looks amazing? Britesmith Brewing in Williamsville.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/18/2022 at 1:36 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Beef on weck is a hot roast beef sandwich! 😆   /smdh... Outsiders.

Open face with mash potatoes and gravy is another meal entirely! The “weck” is critical to the deliciousness! There is a new crisis to be aware of. I went to two Publix locations, one Kroger and an Asian “Farmers Market” looking for caraway seeds…..with NONE to be found. My sister stopped at one store with no luck before realizing her daughters had some in their kitchen. WTF is up with the elusive caraway seed??? 

I have I believe 15 people coming for “beef on weck night”, and without the caraway seeds we were going to have to give it a new name! 

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

Open face with mash potatoes and gravy is another meal entirely! The “weck” is critical to the deliciousness! There is a new crisis to be aware of. I went to two Publix locations, one Kroger and an Asian “Farmers Market” looking for caraway seeds…..with NONE to be found. My sister stopped at one store with no luck before realizing her daughters had some in their kitchen. WTF is up with the elusive caraway seed??? 

I have I believe 15 people coming for “beef on weck night”, and without the caraway seeds we were going to have to give it a new name! 

Too wet in Northern Europe.   Not enough sun in Poland.   Too close to Ukraine. 

😆 

That's the best I got!

@Augie You do the math... 😉 

"It is widely established as a cultivated plant. The Netherlands, Poland and Germany are the top caraway producers. Finland supplies about 28% (2011) of the world's caraway production from some 1500 farms, the high output occurring possibly from its favorable climate and latitudes, which ensure long summer hours of sunlight."

What's going on in Finland... 😏 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

The Publix across the way will make kummelweck rolls if you give them a few days notice. Ask them.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

The Publix across the way will make kummelweck rolls if you give them a few days notice. Ask them.

The one in Sarasota used to do that and I used them. Unfortunately, they give it to you in a plastic bag and the salt would melt away fairly quickly. Not sure if the bag or the product was faulty. I did it a few times, and it was super easy, but I now find I get a better product if I make it myself when needed. It’s very simple, to the point that I feel like I got out of cooking today for our crowd of 15. Publix sold me a boatload of Boar’s Head roast beef and some chips, wife got some sides from Whole Foods, and we have a meal! 

Charlie the Butcher’s website used to recommend a corn starch slurry I believe to get the salt and caraway seeds to adhere, but now I’m seeing an egg wash, so I’ll try that for the first time today. 

26 minutes ago, T&C said:

Yeah... They dry out fast.   Keep them in paper... Probably only a day... IF that!

Even in BFLo... The few days ahead head's up you give them get you into same day baking queue.  If you can find them on demand, probably a high volume place in BFLo area? Costanza's in Cheektowaga?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Ours used to as well. Still might. But they were pretty bad. Making my own from a decent kaiser roll proved much better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.