Buffalo food suggestions? (I know, I know...people have strong opinions)

Logic

Planning to come up for the Titans game and spend a couple days in Buffalo beforehand. Grew up in Rochester, though I have lived on the west coast for about 17 years now. Have never spent a ton of time in Buffalo, usually only in Orchard Park for Bills games.

So, I know this question elicits strong opinions, but I'm just curious as to everyone's favorite spots for:

Wings:
Pizza:
Subs/Deli:

For wings, I always seem to hear the same contenders: Bar Bill, Elmo's, 9-11, Gabriels's Gate.

For Pizza, I always seem to hear Bocce's, Imperial, La Nova, Macy's.

Problem is, I'll only be in Buffalo for a day or two. Can't eat 'em all. What are your favorites?

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Planning to come up for the Titans game and spend a couple days in Buffalo beforehand. Grew up in Rochester, though I have lived on the west coast for about 17 years now. Have never spent a ton of time in Buffalo, usually only in Orchard Park for Bills games.

So, I know this question elicits strong opinions, but I'm just curious as to everyone's favorite spots for:

Wings:
Pizza:
Subs/Deli:

For wings, I always seem to hear the same contenders: Bar Bill, Elmo's, 9-11, Gabriels's Gate.

Problem is, I'll only be in Buffalo for a day or two. Can't eat 'em all. What are your favorites?

I'd add Blasdell Pizza to the pizza list ... https://www.blasdellpizza.com/

I'm a Bar Bill guy, all the way, for wings and beef on weck.  But I've heard nothing but great stuff about the other places you listed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd add Blasdell Pizza to the pizza list ... https://www.blasdellpizza.com/

I'm a Bar Bill guy, all the way, for wings and beef on weck.  But I've heard nothing but great stuff about the other places you listed.

I will see you and raise you a "Lovejoy Pizza."

http://www.lovejoypizza.com/home.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

Duffs has a place a few miles NE of the stadium. At  the 5 corners where Southwestern (US20) Union Road/Orchard Park Rd (Rte 240) and Lake Avenue meet.  Almost across the street is a Ted's  Hot Dogs.If you want some slime dogs, there is a Louie's Texas Red Hots  right at the corner of Southwestern and Abbot.

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Draconator said:

For wings - Bar Bill. No question.

For pizza - I favor Picasso's. A lot more really good pizza for the same price as the other well known pizza places who serves the standard large pizza. 

Beef on Weck - I love Schwabl's. 

I know the reason for this one! 😏  because only gravy belongs on a beef on week. It's the nectar of the working-man.  What bougie snob decided to bastardize it with au jus? Probably some superior do-gooder from Up Upstate New York! It's why the Germans fight the French. 

Wings: Nine-Eleven Tavern. Yeah it can be questioned.   Bar Bill is going corporate, expanding... Welcome to suckitude (see Duff's)

Pizza/Hot Subs: Roz's (S.Cheektowaga)... Lovejoy up there too...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know the reason for this one! 😏  because only gravy belongs on a beef on week. It's the nectar of the working-man.  What bougie snob decided to bastardize it with au jus? Probably some superior do-gooder from Up Upstate New York! It's why the Germans fight the French. 

Wings: Nine-Eleven Tavern. Yeah it can be questioned.   Bar Bill is going corporate, expanding... Welcome to suckitude (see Duff's)

Pizza/Hot Subs: Roz's (S.Cheektowaga)... Lovejoy up there too...

Since when did Schwabl's start putting gravy on beef on weck? You thinking about Bailo's?

18 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Since when did Schwabl's start putting gravy on beef on weck? You thinking about Bailo's?

Bailo's too.  

Since the menu says so and that's how they serve it:

https://www.schwabls.com/menu/

They serve turkey w/gravy too:

"Hand Carved Roast Beef

robust 1/2lb. serving of our in-house roasted beef, hand-carved to your liking. served on your choice of kümmelweck, bread with gravy or without.

Hand Carved Roasted Turkey

robust 1/2lb. serving of our in-house roasted turkey breast, hand-carved to your liking. served on your choice of kümmelweck, bread with gravy or without."

Bailo's and Schwabl's invented, perfected that sammich...

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND don't say Schwabl's don't know the difference between gravy & au jus... They do.  They serve the chicken finger sandwich with either:

"Fried Chicken Finger Sandwich With Au Jus Or Gravy

Lightly breaded, white breast chicken, served on a fresh roll with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise."

What kind of gravy are we talking about here?

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You the stuff thickened with flour or corn starch.  I prefer corn starch,  less clumping. 😏 

And nobody likes lumpy gravy.

Gravy on a turkey sandwich sounds great but but leave my beef on WICK alone.

As far as lumpy gravy... I love it. Unique and one of a kind. I'll dial you in to it on another thread.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Gravy on a turkey sandwich sounds great but but leave my beef on WICK alone.

As far as lumpy gravy... I love it. Unique and one of a kind. I'll dial you in to it on another thread.

Leave your WICK alone. I have been on my soapbox saying same thing.  It was invented with gravy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks to all who have replied so far. 

i pull up the menus and websites for these places and start reading, but I get too hungry, and I go poking around my kitchen, and nothing I have on hand here at the house can compare to the mouth watering, gut busting delicacies I'm seeing and reading about.

September can't come soon enough. The Bills game is obviously the main attraction, but I'm not gonna lie....the food is a very close second place.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Leave your WICK alone. I have been on my soapbox saying same thing.  It was invented with gravy. 

Amazing how many people call it that really. Left your lumpy gravy on the music thread.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks to all who have replied so far. 

i pull up the menus and websites for these places and start reading, but I get too hungry, and I go poking around my kitchen, and nothing I have on hand here at the house can compare to the mouth watering, gut busting delicacies I'm seeing and reading about.

September can't come soon enough. The Bills game is obviously the main attraction, but I'm not gonna lie....the food is a very close second place.

If you like different kinds of mac-n-cheese... Go with Mooney's Sports Bar in W.Seneca across from The 400 on Union.  They even do a "beef on weck" mac-n-cheese 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Wings:
Pizza:
Subs/Deli:

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Wings:
Pizza:
Subs/Deli:

That is not a “problem”, it is a “challenge”.  There’s a difference!   :)

I feel your pain, there are not enough meal slots to do it all in just a few days. I was always a Bocce’s guy, but I’ve been gone a long time and I’m not sure if that is just nostalgia or truly the best option. Enjoy that trip and I hope you hit a home run at every meal. 

EDIT: If you go to Schwabl’s for beef on weck (which I HIGHLY recommend!) I would suggest the German potato salad. I had forgotten how delicious that is! I went there straight from the airport on one trip because it’s nearby and AMAZING! 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.