Condolences to the TSW New England sports fans.........Golden State wins NBA title @ Celtics expense

BADOLBILZ

4th title in 8 years for the GSW dynasty.   Great defensive basketball series by the Warriors.     

Steph Curry was brilliant in the series..........it's being said that he has knocked Larry Bird from the top 10 all-time players list. :beer: 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not a New England sports fan, only a Celtics fan. It was a great season, especially considering how it started. Golden State was obviously the superior team...it wasn't really in doubt after game 4.  

Curry is maybe the best shooter in the history of the league. Props to him. He carried his team to another championship.

As for Larry Bird's status as a top 10 player... who cares? He was a great player. Two very different eras of NBA basketball.  As Charles Barkley said after game 2, "in the era I played, Steph Curry would have been laid out on his ass". He's right. But Curry doesn't play in that era....he's as good an offensive player (and not terrible defensively either) as there is over the last 20 years. 

Bird is one of my favorite players of all time, but sure, somebody could probably make an argument that there were 20 players better than him in NBA history. It does not upset me at all. It's not something that is provable.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Not a New England sports fan, only a Celtics fan. It was a great season, especially considering how it started. Golden State was obviously the superior team...it wasn't really in doubt after game 4.  

Curry is maybe the best shooter in the history of the league. Props to him. He carried his team to another championship.

As for Larry Bird's status as a top 10 player... who cares? He was a great player. Two very different eras of NBA basketball.  As Charles Barkley said after game 2, "in the era I played, Steph Curry would have been laid out on his ass". He's right. But Curry doesn't play in that era....he's as good an offensive player (and not terrible defensively either) as there is over the last 20 years. 

Bird is one of my favorite players of all time, but sure, somebody could probably make an argument that there were 20 players better than him in NBA history. It does not upset me at all. It's not something that is provable.

I think any current player would've adjusted to how the game was played back then. It's not like Curry is that small or weak. I'm sure Larry Legend would've gotten into his head though.

All in all, this was a pretty physical series and fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

I know you're a Celtics fan... But I could never understand how a BFLo fan could root for the Celtics.  The Celtics single-handedly doomed the Braves in Buffalo.  It should have been the Celtics that moved to the West Coast. 

Braves and BFLo fans should have never been the patsy for Celtics ownership. 

Celtics can rot in hell...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

That game yesterday was so great to watch, pure entertainment.

***** Boston, ***** the Celtics, and ***** all those chowderheads at the arena yesterday who had to sit thru that humiliation.

Congrats to the legendary Warriors and especially the great Stef Curry, maybe the most exciting team in NBA history. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Process said:

That had to be one of the worst playoffs in nba history. Two months of blowouts, seems like every single game was won by 10+ points. 

Any playoffs without “King” James is a winner in my book. :thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, Process said:

That had to be one of the worst playoffs in nba history. Two months of blowouts, seems like every single game was won by 10+ points. 

I love the shooting..........it is literally UNREAL how much better the shooters are than in the 80's, 90's and 00's...........but the NBA has a scoring problem.    It's too easy to go on 15 point unanswered scoring runs and it allows games to get out of hand.    

I always thought that the court would get too small because the players were getting taller and longer limbed.........if you ever attend an NBA game you realize there is almost no room for the players to move on the court IRL as opposed to the perception on TV.     But what has made the court too small is the shooting ability.     The court needs to get bigger so they can move the 3 point line back about 8 feet. :lol:

Interested to see how the NBA adjusts..........it really was probably the worst playoffs ever in terms of competitive games.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I love the shooting..........it is literally UNREAL how much better the shooters are than in the 80's, 90's and 00's...........but the NBA has a scoring problem.    It's too easy to go on 15 point unanswered scoring runs and it allows games to get out of hand.    

I always thought that the court would get too small because the players were getting taller and longer limbed.........if you ever attend an NBA game you realize there is almost no room for the players to move on the court IRL as opposed to the perception on TV.     But what has made the court too small is the shooting ability.     The court needs to get bigger so they can move the 3 point line back about 8 feet. :lol:

Interested to see how the NBA adjusts..........it really was probably the worst playoffs ever in terms of competitive games.

That's because players don't know how to make free throws.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is a very legit point you bring up...in today's game, what used to be a 10-0 run, is more like an 18-0 run.  A struggling team can fall behind by 20 in a flash, and unless they start draining threes, the game is close to over.  The opponent is hitting 3's, while the team that is down is either struggling, and gasing themselves out to catch up scoring 2 pt baskets, or falling further into the abyss because they keep missing 3's.

I love the playoffs, because my team was in the finals, I was pretty glued to them... but it really wasn't a great playoff season for the NBA.  I think one game went into OT with Phoenix and Dallas (?), and the Celtics beat the Nets on a buzzer beater...but there really weren't many fantastic  T finishes.  The western conference games were really dull.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Screw everything Boston sports.  I am so glad they lost.

Just those close-up shots of the Celtics fans yesterday…. What an obnoxious and gross fan base. Glad they lost.

Re the series as a whole, loved seeing Steph and I love his game. But I thought both teams were just flopping way too much constantly, and the refs conversely would let a lot of physical action go.

I also don’t understand how anyone could like Tatum. The guy just presses way too much at the worst times, and causes the offense to go Into the toilet. Maybe he will get better with more experience. But for all his talent, he is also very self-destructive on the offensive side.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just those close-up shots of the Celtics fans yesterday…. What an obnoxious and gross fan base. Glad they lost.

Re the series as a whole, loved seeing Steph and I love his game. But I thought both teams were just flopping way too much constantly, and the refs conversely would let a lot of physical action go.

I also don’t understand how anyone could like Tatum. The guy just presses way too much at the worst times, and causes the offense to go Into the toilet. Maybe he will get better with more experience. But for all his talent, he is also very self-destructive on the offensive side.

Tatum had a really good playoff, until the finals.  He isn't an elite player, not yet anyways.  I like him a lot, but he just hasn't developed that killer instinct yet. Maybe losing in the finals will help him get to the next level,,,he's still very young. You are correct, he was pressing too hard.  Very young roster, without a ton of consistent scorers.  

I agree on the flopping point...both teams were doing it way too much...I do think Golden State got away with a lot more.  As I said to my friend while watching a Celtcs/Heat game, the NBA is either the worst officiated pro sports league, or it has the dumbest rules.  

Celtics will be back in the thick of it next season. They had a mostly lousy finals, the better team won, no doubt.  But that is a really solid roster, in need of one more legit secondary scorer. Udoka coached his ass off this season.  I keep hearing people say he was "outcoached" by Kerr...perhaps...but I don't think it was coaching.  It was experience and talent.

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know you're a Celtics fan... But I could never understand how a BFLo fan could root for the Celtics.  The Celtics single-handedly doomed the Braves in Buffalo.  It should have been the Celtics that moved to the West Coast. 

Braves and BFLo fans should have never been the patsy for Celtics ownership. 

Celtics can rot in hell...

I feel like I've explained my love for the Celtics too many times on these pages to go through it all again...but in a nut-shell, my family was always more of a basketball family than anything.  Before the Buffalo Braves were even an idea, my father, uncle, older brother were all Celtics fans.  I was born at the right time to be a huge Braves fan. Loved that team, loved the game, and still do.  When the Braves left town, I was crushed, I hated the Celtics then, too.  But, i was suddenly a huge NBA fan, in Buffalo, with no team to root for. It was about two seasons after the Braves left, my family got cable.  All of the sudden I had the choice of A) no basketball, all the B) the terrible Knicks, or C} all the Celtics games.  My brother, who was pretty much my best friend as a lad, was 8 years older than me.  He had been a huge Celtics fan in the 1960's, dropped them for the Braves, and picked them back up when the Braves deserted Buffalo.  It didn't hurt that the Celtics were great then. So, I take a lot of ***** for being a Celtics fan...but it makes perfect sense to me.

For the record, I am not a fan of the city of Boston, or any other sports teams (any level) from that area.  It is purely a basketball thing.  

The ascertain that the Celtics somehow were responsible for the Braves leaving town is silly.  Buffalo (probably every bit as bigoted a town as Boston) didn't support the team like they did the other two teams in town... they would have ended up just folding either way.  The orange section of the Aud was mostly full of big-boned kids who drank a ton of Dairy-lea milk to score those free tickets.

And this situation, as short-lived as it was, didn't hurt anything:

mcadoo.jpg

Edited by Buftex
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Tatum had a really good playoff, until the finals.  He isn't an elite player, not yet anyways.  I like him a lot, but he just hasn't developed that killer instinct yet. Maybe losing in the finals will help him get to the next level,,,he's still very young. You are correct, he was pressing too hard.  Very young roster, without a ton of consistent scorers.  

I agree on the flopping point...both teams were doing it way too much...I do think Golden State got away with a lot more.  As I said to my friend while watching a Celtcs/Heat game, the NBA is either the worst officiated pro sports league, or it has the dumbest rules.  

Celtics will be back in the thick of it next season. They had a mostly lousy finals, the better team won, no doubt.  But that is a really solid roster, in need of one more legit secondary scorer. Udoka coached his ass off this season.  I keep hearing people say he was "outcoached" by Kerr...perhaps...but I don't think it was coaching.  It was experience and talent.

1) Re flopping, it is getting so absurd. Guys are running about 20 feet away from the action and will just stop, so the other guy can plow them over And they can get an offensive foul. Or guys setting a screen will just flail and fall to the ground. There is always a mess of

bodies all over the court. These players and refs should be embarrassed. It is not normal basketball. It reminds me of how Harden’s leg-kick 3’s became a thing. Totally unnatural basketball move.

2) Don’t get me wrong about Tatum. He does a lot well— just a gorgeous shooting stroke and very good and smooth finisher. Maybe if he has a really good 1B super star scorer next to him, he wouldn’t press so much. But I noticed this even in the earlier rounds— when they are down a little and it is late in the game, his decision making goes in the toilet; tries to do too much.

3) udoka did a heck of a job. I thought prior to this series that they would be lucky to win 1 game.  They could have easily won this series, if things broke a little differently in game 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

1) Re flopping, it is getting so absurd. Guys are running about 20 feet away from the action and will just stop, so the other guy can plow them over And they can get an offensive foul. Or guys setting a screen will just flail and fall to the ground. There is always a mess of

bodies all over the court. These players and refs should be embarrassed. It is not normal basketball. It reminds me of how Harden’s leg-kick 3’s became a thing. Totally unnatural basketball move.

2) Don’t get me wrong about Tatum. He does a lot well— just a gorgeous shooting stroke and very good and smooth finisher. Maybe if he has a really good 1B super star scorer next to him, he wouldn’t press so much. But I noticed this even in the earlier rounds— when they are down a little and it is late in the game, his decision making goes in the toilet; tries to do too much.

3) udoka did a heck of a job. I thought prior to this series that they would be lucky to win 1 game.  They could have easily won this series, if things broke a little differently in game 5. 

Jalen Brown could be that guy...I think he is a much more intense competitor than Tatum, but he is more of a streak shooter...and his ball handling skills are kinda iffy at times.  He was better in the regular season, but became a turnover machine in the playoffs.

32 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I feel like I've explained my love for the Celtics too many times on these pages to go through it all again...but in a nut-shell, my family was always more of a basketball family than anything.  Before the Buffalo Braves were even an idea, my father, uncle, older brother were all Celtics fans.  I was born at the right time to be a huge Braves fan. Loved that team, loved the game, and still do.  When the Braves left town, I was crushed, I hated the Celtics then, too.  But, i was suddenly a huge NBA fan, in Buffalo, with no team to root for. It was about two seasons after the Braves left, my family got cable.  All of the sudden I had the choice of A) no basketball, all the B) the terrible Knicks, or C} all the Celtics games.  My brother, who was pretty much my best friend as a lad, was 8 years older than me.  He had been a huge Celtics fan in the 1960's, dropped them for the Braves, and picked them back up when the Braves deserted Buffalo.  It didn't hurt that the Celtics were great then. So, I take a lot of ***** for being a Celtics fan...but it makes perfect sense to me.

For the record, I am not a fan of the city of Boston, or any other sports teams (any level) from that area.  It is purely a basketball thing.  

The ascertain that the Celtics somehow were responsible for the Braves leaving town is silly.  Buffalo (probably every bit as bigoted a town as Boston) didn't support the team like they did the other two teams in town... they would have ended up just folding either way.  The orange section of the Aud was mostly full of big-boned kids who drank a ton of Dairy-lea milk to score those free tickets.

And this situation, as short-lived as it was, didn't hurt anything:

mcadoo.jpg

Yes... I was big boned. 😞 

Interesting note.  I work with a guy here, a year older than me... He claims Bob McAdoo is his cousin... 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:08 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

4th title in 8 years for the GSW dynasty.   Great defensive basketball series by the Warriors.     

Steph Curry was brilliant in the series..........it's being said that he has knocked Larry Bird from the top 10 all-time players list. :beer: 

Well that's a purely non objective opinion LOL

I think Larry Bird is closer to the top five Than the top 10 so I don't think he could be bumped by one guy 

He had a shorter career but he was absolutely dominant.. three times straight MVP

And he was King of the East before Michael Jordan.. Michael Jordan couldn't get by him till he was retiring

Edited by Buffalo716

8 hours ago, Buftex said:

This is a very legit point you bring up...in today's game, what used to be a 10-0 run, is more like an 18-0 run.  A struggling team can fall behind by 20 in a flash, and unless they start draining threes, the game is close to over.  The opponent is hitting 3's, while the team that is down is either struggling, and gasing themselves out to catch up scoring 2 pt baskets, or falling further into the abyss because they keep missing 3's.

I love the playoffs, because my team was in the finals, I was pretty glued to them... but it really wasn't a great playoff season for the NBA.  I think one game went into OT with Phoenix and Dallas (?), and the Celtics beat the Nets on a buzzer beater...but there really weren't many fantastic  T finishes.  The western conference games were really dull.

I think it’s far worse in the college game where you’re one-and-done, and great teams are upset by BS teams. Most people love it (the more upsets the better) but it’s watered-down basketball to me…. I want to see the very best at the end, not some feel-good Cinderellas.  I may be the only one, but if was up to me, I would either move the 3-point line WAY back or dump 3-pointers all together.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.