Josh Allen is Rob Johnson's doppelgänger

Einstein

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he list his staring job after he was injured falling on a football. 

there were no Rob Johnson “buttons” except “OFF”

Rojo took a mostly self inflicted beating because he liked to hold the ball forever like it was the NFL of the 2020's when it was still 1998..............but Rob Gronkowski and Tony Romo have gotten broken ribs(and punctured lungs) falling on a football.........in itself it's not a sign of exceptional weakness.

If the highlights didn't exist there would be people who claim there WERE NO Rob Johnson highlights...........there were though..........as there were 4th quarter comebacks for Rojo.    Most notably in Tennessee.......but there were others.   He could look like a zombie for 3 quarters and look like a star QB for the last few series.    He was erratic but when he was into the fight he did the kind of things you saw in those highlights.   

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rojo took a mostly self inflicted beating because he liked to hold the ball forever like it was the NFL of the 2020's when it was still 1998..............but Rob Gronkowski and Tony Romo have gotten broken ribs(and punctured lungs) falling on a football.........in itself it's not a sign of exceptional weakness.

If the highlights didn't exist there would be people who claim there WERE NO Rob Johnson highlights...........there were though..........as there were 4th quarter comebacks for Rojo.    Most notably in Tennessee.......but there were others.   He could look like a zombie for 3 quarters and look like a star QB for the last few series.    He was erratic but when he was into the fight he did the kind of things you saw in those highlights.   

Maybe you are thinking of a different Rob Johnson?  The one who played for the Bills had 4 in his career—same number as Trent Edwards and half as many as…Doug Flutie

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

he list his staring job after he was injured falling on a football. 

there were no Rob Johnson “buttons” except “OFF”

And yet, he completed a pass on the run without a shoe on to put the team in FG position that should have won the game, on the road, against a really good Titans team. 

• Agree 1

I HATED Rob Johnson during the '98-00 seasons and was a Flutie guy all the way, but I gained a measure of respect for him after attending the Bills loss at San Diego in 2001.  The guy got KILLED all game long, but continued to lead us back with score after score in the second half to keep us in the game despite what seemed to be an endless stream of special teams gaffes.  We ultimately lost because of a late game kickoff return by the Bolts and a blocked field goal when we were attempting to tie it at the end (the Jake Arians era...haha).  But man, Johnson was electric that day, used every ounce of his athleticism getting us down the field and took a hell of a beating in the process.  I still never liked him, but I respected him after that.  Even though that turned out to be the last decent game he ever played as an NFL QB.  Ultimately, he just didn't have a great feel for the game - kinda like Losman in that regard - some have "it" and some don't.

Edited by TheBrownBear

That one highlight of RJ diving for the pile-on brings back some good memories. That was a huge road win at KC. And that was such a tough and gutsy play.  It really felt that RJ’s and the Bills’ fortunes were going to change with that win. 

(And then they dropped like 4 in a row and missed the playoffs).

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Rob was a traits guy. Just didn't have it as a leader, as a contender, etc.

or as a football player

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That one highlight of RJ diving for the pile-on brings back some good memories.

"Pile-on"?

Really?

And using "RJ" for anything other than the Sabres is blasphemy.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Rob Johnson was and always will be a gutless wonder.  

No class, no leadership, no winning.

Please Me thinks thou protests too much 

Robbery Johnson didn’t work out.  To say no winning is a stretch IMO. 

RJ took the Bills to the lead with 16 seconds to go to get to the AFC Wild Card playoff game.  

it was akin to Tua and Fitz

RJ and DF.  

with Flutie in the wings…. you never knew when the change was coming 

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

Just watched this again on YouTube and had a good laugh. Its uncanny how similar some of the plays are. 

The major difference is that Allen isn’t injured every time he does something on the field, unlike ole “glass boy” Johnson, (as my wife called him)

11 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Johnson didn't seem to like or play well in the cold winter games in buffalo.

Sitting in row 23 behind Bills bench one late fall game. Temp was 25/27 degrees. Ball was around 20 years line. Time out called. Coaches walked a few yds onto field as RJ jogged over. 

He went around them to find his coat. He wasted 10 seconds for 15 seconds of personal comfort. His teammates stood in the cold (not real cold for sure, but dull day), his coaches and waited. 

No leadership. He was not concentrating on the game. He should never even been thinking about the weather. It really matter little and had minimal effect. It was just a selfish display. 

I turned to my son and said...he can never be a leader of men. Personal comfort was most important...career over. He had an arm, could run, but the challenge was too much.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Johnson was the most physically gifted QB the Bills had had until Josh Allen.

Great thrower of the ball and WR level athlete.

He was not capable of being a leader and didn't have the desire to be great.........two things that really make a gigantic difference with Josh Allen.

Rojo could sleepwalk thru regular season games and do stupid sh*t for quarters on end.........but could really dial it up as a competitor when just the right buttons were pushed........which is why he had so many fantastic finishes.........and that Flutie vs Johnson matchup in San Diego was one of the best battles of the entire drought.........you will never see two guys who don't want to lose to the other anymore than that game.:lol:  

Would have been interesting to see how Rojo would have fared in a post 2010 NFL.........an era when it's basically illegal to hit QB's.    I wouldn't be astonished to see him be a version of Pad Statford in his Lions days.   It is just far easier to play the position now and athleticism like Rojo had pays higher dividends.   There are guys getting paid handsomely like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray who would have struggled to have a single good game in their career if they played in the late 90's, IMO.

PERFECT post!

When Johnson was in college, I only saw him play 1 game and he was amazing. I couldn't believe that he lasted until round 4. Couldn't believe it!!! Then, when sports bars with Directv were pretty new, I saw him play 1 game for Jax and he was unstoppable. He only had a couple of incompletions and was throwing accurate darts and bullets. Iirc, he did get injured late in the game. 

When the Bills traded for him I was delighted. So was Wade, who called it the beginning of the Rob Johnson era. Flutie was even recorded talking to another QB saying that he was very good and "smart." RJ had all the talent that he needed and then some. I waited for years for him to come around. :( 

The last time I saw him play was after partying with you and the Lot 1 Pole 5 crowd when he was a Redskin. Schobel sacked him a couple of times with brutal hits to the point that I thought he might suffer a very serious injury. 

I really wish that he had a head for the game. His talent was legit. I remember when he competed in the old "Superstars" show. He was in first place until he choked at the very end. :( 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.