Buffalo: Dion Dawkins for the Players Tribune

YoloinOhio

Amazing article.  That was my neighbourhood when I was little.  A long time ago.  I am aware of the differences now.  But I bet it still has a lot of the same character.  Best thing about it then was it was a walking neighbourhood - you didn't need a car.  Some people didn't have one.  I could picture what Dion said about people walking there for their groceries.  We need to get behind contributing  Let's prove Dion right about all the wonderful things he said about our community.  I will be doing so as soon as leave TwoBillsDrive.  May have to get myself of Dawkins jersey, how can we not love that guy?

Good stuff - really enjoy the stuff Dion puts on there.

Saw and read the Jamarcus Russell piece there - talk about a contrast

Edited by stevewin

Powerful writing and very heartfelt. Every person on this board should “hear” what he has to say. You may choose not to agree. You may even strongly dislike it for some reason. You’re entitled to your opinions. At least if you disagree, Dion’s voice is heard.

However, nobody should simply ignore this voice.

• Thank you (+1) 2

In a press conference soon after that day, Dawkins took a question from a reporter.  They got wind that he went back to the East side and helped a young man celebrate a birthday who was personally impacted by the events of that day.  There were no PR announcements made and no cameras were there to record the event.  He seemed genuinely surprised that the press found out.  He made the statement akin to I just did it because.   The man is genuine.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Dawkins' personality really comes out when he writes.  It's personal for him. 

This piece is no exception.  He tells us what it feels like to be Black when thinks like this happen. 

He can actually write too. If he is writing these pieces himself without a ghost then he does a darn good job. Ol' Jerry Sullivan could learn a thing or two. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He can actually write too. If he is writing these pieces himself without a ghost then he does a darn good job. Ol' Jerry Sullivan could learn a thing or two. 

I think he writes them with an editor.  Still, there's something personal and unique about each of his pieces. I read JaMarcus Russell's, which is interesting, and the writing is much different.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.