It’s Hell Month on the NFL calendar

Chandler#81

Free Agency, the Draft, Rookie Minicamp, OTA’s and mandatory Minicamp are now behind us. Ahead, the 5 week break before Training Camp begins is the unsupervised phase where ‘boys will be boys’. Accounts of DUI’s, Drunk & Disorderly’s, bar fights, high speed races and crashes, illegal firearm registrations, carrying firearms onto planes, unlawful discharge of firearms, Domestic Abuse, Battery and illegal drug possession will color the news. Thefts, shootings and murder have also occurred. The Bills certainly aren’t immune to these episodes either, over the years. But it’s worth noting the McBeane era has been steadfast in acquiring mostly high character, mature and responsible players -if not choirboys.

Heres to hoping everyone arrives at St. John Fisher campus alive, in great shape and without charges pending.. 🍻

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Free Agency, the Draft, Rookie Minicamp, OTA’s and mandatory Minicamp are now behind us. Ahead, the 5 week break before Training Camp begins is the unsupervised phase where ‘boys will be boys’. Accounts of DUI’s, Drunk & Disorderly’s, bar fights, high speed races and crashes, illegal firearm registrations, carrying firearms onto planes, unlawful discharge of firearms, Domestic Abuse, Battery and illegal drug possession will color the news. Thefts, shootings and murder have also occurred. The Bills certainly aren’t immune to these episodes either, over the years. But it’s worth noting the McBeane era has been steadfast in acquiring mostly high character, mature and responsible players -if not choirboys.

Heres to hoping everyone arrives at St. John Fisher campus alive, in great shape and without charges pending.. 🍻

Isaiah McKenzie's ears perked up at "choirboy"

• Haha (+1) 2

I remember the olden days (the 80's for me):

Training camps started early July, around July 5, so you weren't bored that entire month like now.

Sessions were every day, twice a day ("two-a-days").

Players were tougher back then (you had to be).

All teams went to remote campuses. (I remember our local paper showing a pic of Bruce Smith moving into his dorm room at Fredonia carrying an air conditioner.)

You could go to training camp sessions without a ticket.

They once had a free scrimmage at Fredonia: Green Bay vs. Buffalo. I was a kid. I sat in the bleachers, but decided to ride my bike home before the game started since the sun was beting down on me and I had no money to buy a drink. When I got home, I drank the entire gallon of Kool-Aid in the refrigerator, lol.

There were an annual scrimmage of Buffalo vs. Cleveland at Edinboro, PA.

Cutdowns were to 70, then 60, then 50, then 45 players after each week of pre-season games.

The Hall of Fame Game was always between the AFC and NFC and on ABC.

The regular season always started Labor Day weekend, the way it should be.

Then school always started for us the Wednesday after Labor Day. Week 1 was already completed.

The AFC was on NBC and the NFC was on CBS. Fox didn't exist.

Bob Costas hosted the pre-game show on NBC (later 80s).

MNF was with Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford, and Don Meredith (early 80's). This was the premier game each week.

The draft was on a Tuesday in the daytime. (I was jealous of my friend, whose parents let him stay home from school to watch it).

There was no pansy bye week.

The Wild Card round was often in late December. The Super Bowl was in January, when it should be. The NFL even scheduled just one week between the Conference Campionship Games and the SB some years to make sure it was in January (this affected the Bills twice).

Football...the way it should be.

[Yeah, I know...times have changed and players come into camp in better shape and want to minimize the risk of injury, etc. But it is still fond for me to remember the olden days, a more innocent time.]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, chongli said:

Training camps started early July, around July 5, so you weren't bored that entire month like now.

All teams went to remote campuses. (I remember our local paper showing a pic of Bruce Smith moving into his dorm room at Fredonia carrying an air conditioner.)

They once had a free scrimmage at Fredonia: Green Bay vs. Buffalo. I was a kid. I sat in the bleachers, but decided to ride my bike home before the game started since the sun was beting down on me and I had no money to buy a drink. When I got home, I drank the entire gallon of Kool-Aid in the refrigerator, lol.

Cutdowns were to 70, then 60, then 50, then 45 players after each week of pre-season games.

Then school always started for us the Wednesday after Labor Day. Week 1 was already completed.

MNF was with Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford, and Don Meredith (early 80's). This was the premier game each week.

The draft was on a Tuesday in the daytime. (I was jealous of my friend, whose parents let him stay home from school to watch it).

The Wild Card round was often in late December. The Super Bowl was in January, when it should be. The NFL even scheduled just one week between the Conference Campionship Games and the SB some years to make sure it was in January (this affected the Bills twice).

[Yeah, I know...times have changed and players come into camp in better shape and want to minimize the risk of injury, etc. But it is still fond for me to remember the olden days, a more innocent time.]

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

• Haha (+1) 7

4 hours ago, chongli said:

IMO, those have been GOOD changes. Did you notice a lowering of the quality of players and plays? This was just player abuse by coaches from an ingrained culture that caused way more concussions and shortened careers. For not much upside if any.

It's like the people complaining how "soft" the game has become because defensive players can't clothesline and aim for the head anymore. Oh yeah, it's such a gentle sport now...

Do I like all the changes? Nope. But I agree with most of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

On 6/16/2022 at 12:43 PM, chongli said:

Must have been the only year Bruce went to training camp 😃

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nothing can change the fact that it is also the most boring month of the season for fans.  No practices that media can observe and report on.  Few if any high profile free agents that teams are likely to sign.  As you note, Chandler, most of the small potential for news in this four weeks is for bad news: driving while impaired, assault, domestic violence, substance abuse.  And as you also note, that potential is especially small for the high character Bills.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.