Jordan Poyer: a guess @ his new contract.

Estro

19 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Well I'm half with you. I just cant see us paying and overpaying Edmunds, but Eddie, he's going to get paid rather handsomely on his next deal from us. I think he's going to have a balls out year and will get rewarded. Edmunds, I'm one of the meh people I guess. I'd keep him at a reasonable deal but that probably isn't what he has in mind. Let him play it out.

Poyer, I can see McBeane trading before the season. Unlike Edmunds with us just letting him play it out, I don't see that with Justin due to his age. I love Poyer but have 100% trust and faith with what McBeane does with his situation. I can honestly admit I'll miss Rachel though.

And McDs scheme is very DB friendly.  But the only way we let a player like him walk, is if we have a great replacement.  We'll see. We got him this year!

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

And McDs scheme is very DB friendly.  But the only way we let a player like him walk, is if we have a great replacement.  We'll see. We got him this year!

Sorry I just can't see us paying Edmunds what the market will pay him. He'd have to give up 30% or something of the market rate and I don't think that's likely. 

Beane's done a masterful job of keeping guys but you can't keep everyone every year. Harry was this years sacrifice. Edmunds is next years. And we need to get used to that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Sorry I just can't see us paying Edmunds what the market will pay him. He'd have to give up 30% or something of the market rate and I don't think that's likely. 

Beane's done a masterful job of keeping guys but you can't keep everyone every year. Harry was this years sacrifice. Edmunds is next years. And we need to get used to that.

Harry couldn't stay on the field, was soft against the run and didn't do much to pressure the QB. He was GREAT for the community, genuine good guy but barely noticeable on gamedays

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

At most I see Poyer extended one year. Really surprised OBD passed on a number of good prospects in what was a deep S draft. Age is catching up with the S position. The great teams tend to let a guy go a year early rather than a year late. Regardless, Poyer is here this year. At worst he is auditioning for a 1-2 yr vet deal to latch on with another contender after a solid 2022.

With a $250M QB, we are going to see shuffling of personnel. OBD has to have a good succession plan in place for these situations. Maybe it is a newer reality for the team and they are starting to prepare for it in upcoming draft/ FA periods?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

It's possible to extend both Poyer and Hide through 2024 and frontload their contracts.  Then you can back load the contracts of whatever young players they wish to keep past their rookie deal (Edmunds, Oliver, Knox) if need be as the salary cap should go up significantly by the time 2024 rolls around.

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's possible to extend both Poyer and Hide through 2024 and frontload their contracts.  Then you can back load the contracts of whatever young players they wish to keep past their rookie deal (Edmunds, Oliver, Knox) if need be as the salary cap should go up significantly by the time 2024 rolls around.

No player wants a back loaded contract. Everyone wants it guaranteed and up front

27 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

No player wants a back loaded contract. Everyone wants it guaranteed and up front

There's ways around that where you can give players a significant amount of money early on while maintaining a minimum cap hit.  Beane better pay his accountants overtime.

• Like (+1) 1

After what the Rams did, I think it's possible to give everyone $20mil/yr contracts.

4 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Players should tie their money to cap inflation. Why hasn't anyone thought about asking for %10 of the cap, rather than $20mil/yr?

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, mjt328 said:

This is exactly the problem.

I'm sure the Bills would love to keep Jordan Poyer, and he certainly deserves the extension.  But the timing on expiring contracts is going to force us into making some really tough decisions.  And no matter which way you look at it, Poyer seems to be one of the odd men out.

Considering age?  Out of the guys coming up, Poyer is the second oldest guy on the list. 

Team value?  Sean McDermott seems to prioritize the D-Line first, and secondary after.

While the other guys were drafted/developed, both of our safeties were found (fairly cheap) in free agency.

Not to mention, based on the agent change and his wife's comments, it really sounds like he's seeking top safety money.  No hometown discounts.

I think you’re right on. The timing won’t work out with all the younger players needing contracts and Josh’s deal kicking in. Would love to keep him but we can’t keep everyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Harry couldn't stay on the field, was soft against the run and didn't do much to pressure the QB. He was GREAT for the community, genuine good guy but barely noticeable on gamedays

Sure, but you can't say his last year wasn't his best and you can't predict the future with guys despite their past. Well, some guys lol.

16 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Sure, but you can't say his last year wasn't his best and you can't predict the future with guys despite their past. Well, some guys lol.

His last year was certainly his best, which wasnt anything special. He was easily replaceable, glad he got pay day with the Vikings, but I wont miss him.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:41 AM, Airseven said:

My guess is no new contract. One more year and done. Best for both parties.

Or they give him a little bump this year to make him happy. 

Hes 31, not exactly ancient for a SS. I think at the end of the day he’ll get a 2 year extension maybe longer to keep his cap hit down.

My guess is he won’t be happy with the Bills final, ‘take it or leave it’ offer. No offense, Jordan, but we’re simply not financially positioned to pay you top $$. You may well get it from another team, but Knox and very likely Tremaine will eat up what FA dollar$ we’ll have..

• Agree 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:41 AM, Airseven said:

My guess is no new contract. One more year and done. Best for both parties.

I agree too. Such are the decisions when you have a premium QB on the team. Let him play this year out and get younger/cheaper next year at that position. 

Further significant spends need to be on the OL and WR. 

• Agree 1

On 6/16/2022 at 6:37 AM, Back2Buff said:

His current deal.  If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to play.

You don't sign a 31 year old safety to top dollar, especially a guy who at one point thought would never play again.

Poyer has one unbelievable year and turns into a diva.  Guy was a straight disaster in that KC game.

Bills need to get younger at safety anyways.  This should be the last year of Hyde and Poyer.  Hyde can mentor Poyers replacement next year.

Hard to argue that- those to great safeties looked like pop Warner against hill and kelce every time we play them in the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.