Jordan Poyer: a guess @ his new contract.

Estro

23 hours ago, mbs said:

I don't think safety should ever be a priority. And with this staff, a dropoff in DB talent isn't going hit as hard as other positions.

These are the guys who closed the season for the number one defense in the NFL last year:

Jordan Poyer (7th) terrible in Cleveland.
Mikah Hyde (5th) backup safety/slot in GB. Great playoff run his last year.
Taron Johnson (4th)
Dane Jackson (7th)
Levi Wallace (UDFA)

That's three studs and two competent backs, all from pretty humble beginnings.

Given the supposed attention other front offices are giving Benford (6th), I don't think McDermott is just finding diamonds in the rough. He's polishing whatever rocks he finds into gems and he can keep on doing it for a lot less money than Poyer is asking. He can't turn Dane into Reevis, but they won't be totally exposed with a mid round pick. Ehem, Josh Norman.

This isn't really the case at any other position, so I'd rather see money spent on skill positions or even o-line, the latter being filled with turds that can't be polished. (I'm holding out hope that Kromer changes this.)

On the other hand, be a witch Mr. Bean and keep him here. (at 2/32M)

Poyer wasn't terrible in Cleveland.  Definitely not what he became in Buffalo, but when given consistent playing time, he performed pretty well.  They just changed coaches so often that he got passed over a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/16/2022 at 11:16 AM, Heavy Kevi said:

I'd let him play out the year and walk. 

I get paying to keep your guys, but I think we can find a safety in the draft next year.

It's also possible that Jaquon Johnson, Damar Hamlin, or even Nick McCloud is ready to replace Poyer next year. 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

yeah I agree. Just hope Poyer doesn’t sit out if we don’t offer a new deal this year. If he does then trade him, we don’t have time to waste. 

You don't come to camp and compete to then sit out.

37 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Poyer wasn't terrible in Cleveland.  Definitely not what he became in Buffalo, but when given consistent playing time, he performed pretty well.  They just changed coaches so often that he got passed over a lot.

And he had injuries didn't he? Especially the final year when if memory serves he had won a starting job coming out of camp but then only played a few games because of injuries. He was untapped potential but he had flashed in Cleveland for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I shouldn't have said "terrible."  It's pointlessly inflammatory.

I watched some YouTube vids that didn't make me anywhere near as excited as I was about Hyde and Hyde was himself a backup. I'm not a coach or scout but he looked to me like he struggled. Lots of those vids misrepresent promising players. I stopped watching film on Josh Allen at Wyoming after a single dumb vid.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You don't come to camp and compete to then sit out.

And he had injuries didn't he? Especially the final year when if memory serves he had won a starting job coming out of camp but then only played a few games because of injuries. He was untapped potential but he had flashed in Cleveland for sure.

The torn kidney was the one that completely freaked me out. I just can't imagine tearing an inside bit. Shudder.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.