Jordan Poyer: a guess @ his new contract.

Estro

27 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Another season of we can't keep so and so... then all the sudden we keep them.

It's not happening especially with JA's new contract kicking in next year. Same reason why Chiefs had to let honey badger walk and they traded Hill to the Dolphins.

Poyer is a good player and will be missed but he's on the wrong side of 30 and definitely nowhere close to the caliber of safety James is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

On 6/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, ExWNYer said:

^^^

This. With championship caliber rosters come tough decisions. As has been stated previously by others, there are a lot of young, talented players coming due for new contracts soon. Poyer is at the bottom or near the bottom of the money list, IMO. Have loved his play over the years but it's not prudent to pay him what he wants at this point. Get your ring and then try to get your money elsewhere next year, Jordan.

Double this.  Don’t break the bank on secondary.  Both of these will get big bucks elsewhere.  Need to save bucks for pass rush.  Only Bolts and Chiefs can go turbo offense on us, and our QB can match +1 or more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

It's not happening especially with JA's new contract kicking in next year. Same reason why Chiefs had to let honey badger walk and they traded Hill to the Dolphins.

Poyer is a good player and will be missed but he's on the wrong side of 30 and definitely nowhere close to the caliber of safety James is.

Yup, we're basically a year behind them on the QB timeline.  

Poyer walking would be our honey badger, and while we don't have a Tyreek Hill situation, we'll have expiring contracts in Edmunds / Saffold / Singletary as our tough decisions to be made.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think you forgot that the salary cap is going to be increasing 20-30+ million a year for like 4 years now due to new TV deals kicking in.

Allen's contract will look like one of the best bargain in all of sports within a few years.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think safety should ever be a priority. And with this staff, a dropoff in DB talent isn't going hit as hard as other positions.

These are the guys who closed the season for the number one defense in the NFL last year:

Jordan Poyer (7th) terrible in Cleveland.
Mikah Hyde (5th) backup safety/slot in GB. Great playoff run his last year.
Taron Johnson (4th)
Dane Jackson (7th)
Levi Wallace (UDFA)

That's three studs and two competent backs, all from pretty humble beginnings.

Given the supposed attention other front offices are giving Benford (6th), I don't think McDermott is just finding diamonds in the rough. He's polishing whatever rocks he finds into gems and he can keep on doing it for a lot less money than Poyer is asking. He can't turn Dane into Reevis, but they won't be totally exposed with a mid round pick. Ehem, Josh Norman.

This isn't really the case at any other position, so I'd rather see money spent on skill positions or even o-line, the latter being filled with turds that can't be polished. (I'm holding out hope that Kromer changes this.)

On the other hand, be a witch Mr. Bean and keep him here. (at 2/32M)

Edited by mbs
Forgot to guess.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If you say it isn't happening it probably will.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Trade him for a young starting Guard with a decent contract. Jaquan Johnson is ready and more then capable to fill that spot.  

I am not quite there but I don't hate it. If you are trading him a young guard on a cheap deal who you might have two years before you have to pay makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not quite there but I don't hate it. If you are trading him a young guard on a cheap deal who you might have two years before you have to pay makes sense. 

It does makes sense at this point especially with the contracts in Ed, Knox and Tremaine coming up. I really like Poyer but the smart business decision is to trade him especially with a high quality back in  Jaquan Johnson ready to be a quality starter. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think you forgot that the salary cap is going to be increasing 20-30+ million a year for like 4 years now due to new TV deals kicking in.

Allen's contract will look like one of the best bargain in all of sports within a few years.

None of these people understand and every year they end up being wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, wppete said:

It does makes sense at this point especially with the contracts in Ed, Knox and Tremaine coming up. I really like Poyer but the smart business decision is to trade him especially with a high quality back in  Jaquan Johnson ready to be a quality starter. 

For Quenton Nelson, maybe. Look, Poyer is at the top of his game right now. Give him a short-term deal, or one that make it easy to part ways after a couple years. Forget his age, there's been zero drop-off yet. You don't get rid of your top guys in their prime.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, TBBills said:

None of these people understand and every year they end up being wrong.

I mean if there was ever a time teams can keep players they normally would not be able to due to cap limitations, the next 3-4 years is that time.

The cap is going to be going up stupid dollars every year for 3-4 years and players that already have signed will be locked into lower contracts relative to the cap so it will free up extra money.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, wppete said:

I disagree with your timetable. While getting value for the aging player the season BEFORE he hits FA is generally the best long-term value play, I don't think volunteering to lose Poyer NOW makes sense unless he forces their hand. The Bills should want the roster as stacked as possible for a championship run THIS YEAR. IMHO if Poyer is willing to play out his deal, then that's the best arrangement for everyone involved.

While there are a lot of good points here back and fourth, I believe the evolution of Poyer, Hyde, and every other DB not named Tre White in Buffalo, including departed Levi Wallace show that this front office, and I believe this is at sean and Beane’s level can find back up/depth corners league wide that make excellent safeties. 

Part of this includes scheme where smart players that don’t have elite corner hips or speed but can keep the play in front of them and tackle well overachieve. 

Additionally Johnson and Neal have even flashed in relief duty. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I disagree with your timetable. While getting value for the aging player the season BEFORE he hits FA is generally the best long-term value play, I don't think volunteering to lose Poyer NOW makes sense unless he forces their hand. The Bills should want the roster as stacked as possible for a championship run THIS YEAR. IMHO if Poyer is willing to play out his deal, then that's the best arrangement for everyone involved.

yeah I agree. Just hope Poyer doesn’t sit out if we don’t offer a new deal this year. If he does then trade him, we don’t have time to waste. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.