Jordan Poyer: a guess @ his new contract.

Estro

31 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I agree too. Such are the decisions when you have a premium QB on the team. Let him play this year out and get younger/cheaper next year at that position. 

Further significant spends need to be on the OL and WR. 

^^^

This. With championship caliber rosters come tough decisions. As has been stated previously by others, there are a lot of young, talented players coming due for new contracts soon. Poyer is at the bottom or near the bottom of the money list, IMO. Have loved his play over the years but it's not prudent to pay him what he wants at this point. Get your ring and then try to get your money elsewhere next year, Jordan.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Agree 3

On 6/18/2022 at 2:55 PM, uticaclub said:

His last year was certainly his best, which wasnt anything special. He was easily replaceable, glad he got pay day with the Vikings, but I wont miss him.

I think Settle is going to do what they wanted Harrison Phillips to do on a more regular footing.

Horrible Harry is a heck of a teammate and good guy in general from all accounts. Just hard to slate him for x productivity over y games. I hope he does well in Minnesota.

4 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I might be in the minority and haven't read all the responses but I'm good with him playing this year and going our separate ways. He's been a stud but I don't want to get into the habit of paying top$ to 30+ safeties. Love his game and what he brings

Poyer to me is Five Guys 2022. I love Five Guys. I was more than willing to pay $22 for two people at Five Guys which was expensive at the time. I am not willing to pay $35 for two burgers, a fry, and a drink. Doesn't mean I don't love Five Guys. Not pleased to look for other options, but they're not going to give us a discount. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

My feeling is Poyer wants what several have stated as in 35$ mil. pver

two years or long deal.  

My guess is Beane offers $45 mil. over 3 years, and 17 guaranteed, but the third is easy to void so it’s really over 2 maybe $22.  They’ll say no and he walks.  He probably wants a contract more than a ring so he’ll be playing for the huge deal for the ring this year.  That’s fine with me  as I’m fine with him one more year.  He won’t be easy at all to replace.  

It’s so easy to say let’s just get younger.  It’s not just the athleticism, it’s the skill and knowledge that tandem that makes them if not the best, one of the best safety tandems in the league.

some people seem to think it’s just so easy to be the best secondary in the league.  We are the best secondary if you look at the numbers in the league.  By talent, Miami should be better than us but they weren’t.  Now with Elam, Taron, Tre once healthy and the Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde are a force.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Guess we will be without poyer next year.  Wow. 

19.1M a season(for Derwin James).  Poyer will want way too much. 

James is only 26. Totally different approaches.

It may have a small affect on what Poyer is looking for, but I dont think he'll try to get comparative compensation.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Guess we will be without poyer next year.  Wow. 

19.1M a season(for Derwin James).  Poyer will want way too much. 

Derwin James is 26 years old and in the prime of his career.    Think he will be looking around the average of what Harrison Smith and Quandre Diggs signed for as they are closer to his age at signing.   Given the normalization for the higher cap, that still puts his salary around 15-16 Million a year.   Love Poyer but no way I am signing a 31 or 32 year old safety for that type of money on the cap. 

• Agree 3

I think we need to come to terms with the likely outcome that Poyer plays out this year and walks in the offseason.  

We can't pay him anywhere close to what some of these guys are getting, and keep Oliver/Knox.  I don't even know if we can keep Edmunds, let alone Poyer.  

I get that James situation is different than Poyer's due to age, but I just don't see how we can give him much of any bump in pay and still manage the cap effectively. 

I saw a mock draft this morning that had us taking Jordan Battle (S) Alabama in RD1 and an IOL from Georgia in RD2.  Makes perfect sense to me..  Draft Poyer and Saffold's replacements and get Bernard ready to take over for either Edmunds leaving in FA or a trade of Milano to afford Edmunds. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Another season of we can't keep so and so... then all the sudden we keep them.

Josh Allen cap hit '22 = $16M

Josh Allen cap hit '23 = $40M

Von Miller cap hit '22 = $5M

Von Miller cap hit '23 = $18M

Stefon Diggs cap hit '22 = $12M

Stefon Diggs cap hit '23 = $20M

Superstars cost money

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Josh Allen cap hit '22 = $16M

Josh Allen cap hit '23 = $40M

Von Miller cap hit '22 = $5M

Von Miller cap hit '23 = $18M

Stefon Diggs cap hit '22 = $12M

Stefon Diggs cap hit '23 = $20M

Superstars cost money

The good news is that Apple and Amazon money will be hitting soon and bumping up the cap bigly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I don't think the Bills have a strong desire to do anything with his contract, and they probably won't do anything with it. 

They will run out the clock until the season stars and say "our focus is on football, we'll discuss this after the season concludes."

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The good news is that Apple and Amazon money will be hitting soon and bumping up the cap bigly.

Agreed.. that will help for sure.  We also have Oliver and Davis long term deals coming up as well.  

Great news is that the Bills FO kills it in the middle-late rounds of the draft.  The track record is becoming undeniable.  Getting guys like Davis, Benford, Shakir etc., on Day 3, is how you stay a contender while keeping most of your stars.  

I'd love to keep Poyer and Edmunds, but I just don't know how a team with the talent we have, and the QB we have, is able to allocate so much money positionally to the linebacker and safety positions.  Maybe I'm wrong and they re-sign everyone, but I'm prepared to have this be the last season we see Poyer in a Bills uniform.  I legitimately have no idea what we will do with Edmunds in the offseason and/or how that may relate to Milano, if at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dawk, I’m glad you said it first as we can’t imagine what the cap is going to over the next poem of years.  It’s eye popping.

I hate losing Poyer, but I don’t see other teams next year paying him$16+ mil. At 32 at Safety.

Bernard was drafted to take over Edmunds next year.  Bedford is a surprise depth CB.  We have some solid backup safeties and we’ll probably use a high pick next year at Safety.  It wouldn’t surprise me.

The Guy most likely over the next 2 years are Knox, Davis, and Oliver.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.