Jordan Poyer: a guess @ his new contract.

Estro

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

His current deal.  If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to play.

You don't sign a 31 year old safety to top dollar, especially a guy who at one point thought would never play again.

Poyer has one unbelievable year and turns into a diva.  Guy was a straight disaster in that KC game.

Bills need to get younger at safety anyways.  This should be the last year of Hyde and Poyer.  Hyde can mentor Poyers replacement next year.

Agree completely. And he was garbage in the Texans playoff game too. These games get conveniently overlooked by fans and the media 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

If this doesn't get resolved, then that's probably his move - either “retiring” or sitting out with an “injury”.  If he says “pay me or trade me to a team that will or I’m retiring” then what’s the Bills play?  Moving from Jordan Poyer to Jaquan Johnson or Siran Neal isn’t going to help this team win a championship.

Jordan Poyer isn’t the difference between a Super Bowl run or not.  

Good player, but not that guy and not that position.  

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2 years $30 million in new money. Guaranteed around $20 million.

Add in his 2022 money and it’s about a 3 year $40 million deal. $13.3 million average. Puts him in the top 10 for safety contracts. He’d be the 2nd highest paid safety over 30 years old.

Technically he’d be the highest paid over 30 because Harrison Smith’s deal isn’t as scary as it looks. It was basically a 2 year $26 million deal. Originally I was thinking 2 years $24 million for Poyer.

This sounds about right to me. I was going to post the same thing: 2 yrs, 30 million. They could guarantee a bit more given the low risk with this player. 

I wonder if Poyer  would be more interested in guaranteed $ or total value. Maybe an extension of 2 years, 27 million but fully guaranteed gets it done. 

Then again, if it comes down to Davis, Knox and Poyer and you can only pay 2, then I would sadly let Poyer walk. I think we should be able to pay Knox and Poyer, then Poyer would be off the books by the time Davis is ready for his big contract. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Jordan Poyer isn’t the difference between a Super Bowl run or not.  

Good player, but not that guy and not that position.  

Really?  Having an All Pro at safety isn’t going to help the Bills make a Super Bowl run?  What other players and positions do you think don’t matter?

• Like (+1) 1

I think Poyer is gone after this year. He might be a product of the scheme based on his college and Cleveland career. They aren't breaking the bank for him. I get he had an all pro year but we played TERRIBLE offenses all year and he got smoked in KC in the playoffs

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I think Poyer is gone after this year. He might be a product of the scheme based on his college and Cleveland career. They aren't breaking the bank for him. I get he had an all pro year but we played TERRIBLE offenses all year and he got smoked in KC in the playoffs

We played terrible offenses ALL YEAR?  You are exaggerating a lot to make your point.

12 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Seems rich to me for a 31 year old safety.  I mean JC Jackson, a top 5 CB in his prime just got a 5 year 16.5AAV / $40M guaranteed during FA.  Tyrann Mathieu and Justin Reed both got 3/$33M.  If Poyer makes anything north of that, Bills played their hand wrong.  Could have got JC, traded Poyer (picked up Mathieu), and used your #1 on BPA and not forced to take a CB out of need (Bean admitted this during post draft press conference).  Most of this is Monday Morning QBing…I know.

Not when he is playing at a high level and integral to hoist the Lombardi- all chips are in, right now.

8 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Not when he is playing at a high level and integral to hoist the Lombardi- all chips are in, right now.

We likely win the Super Bowl if the defense wasn’t a paper tiger last year.  

Poyer was out there against KC.  Didn’t do much of anything to stop them.  

I’d have zero issue trading him before the season, if it comes to worst case scenario and he won’t play out his contract.  

Having Von Miller, Tre White and Kaiir Elam out there this year will more than offset the loss of Poyer. 

Having a Safety like him is a luxury for a Super Bowl run, not a necessity.  

QB’s, Pass Rushers, Corners and Wide Receivers are necessities.  

Cinci beat KC with Burrow, pass rush and WR’s.  LA then beat Cinci with Stafford, pass rush and Kupp.  

31 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

We played terrible offenses ALL YEAR?  You are exaggerating a lot to make your point.

Dolphins x2

Jets x2

Texans

Washington

New England didn't throw the ball an entire game

Panthers

Jacksonville 

Saints with Trevor Siemian

Pretty weak teams. I like Poyer but he got his biggest payday from the Bills already

Edited by uticaclub
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We likely win the Super Bowl if the defense wasn’t a paper tiger last year.  

Poyer was out there against KC.  Didn’t do much of anything to stop them.  

I’d have zero issue trading him before the season, if it comes to worst case scenario and he won’t play out his contract.  

Having Von Miller, Tre White and Kaiir Elam out there this year will more than offset the loss of Poyer. 

Having a Safety like him is a luxury for a Super Bowl run, not a necessity.  

QB’s, Pass Rushers, Corners and Wide Receivers are necessities.  

Cinci beat KC with Burrow, pass rush and WR’s.  LA then beat Cinci with Stafford, pass rush and Kupp.  

Our D has been in the top 5 I believe the past 4-5 seasons. We added some pieces, so im hinging my bets they will continue to play in that range.

That game was not on Poyer- Hill and company were very difficult to put it kindly. The touchdown that happened in OT was a result of not having 3 down lineman and a dime package in. Wrong D all day.

2 of the 3 you mention are corners, Poyer is a safety. We do not want our corners on TE’s and big RBs. 

Anyways, it is going to be a fun season, and we are just a few guys that cannot change anything lol…Go Bills!

9 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I'd let him play out the year and walk. 

I get paying to keep your guys, but I think we can find a safety in the draft next year.

Cannot become the team of geeatrics, and I don't think Poyer is worth that big contract right now.

But some defense needy team will get him paid.

I love Poyer n everything he has done for the team but I agree. We just can't pay everyone, that's the problem when you have a great GM. 

I'd rather pay Oliver/Edmunds

I really think Hamlin could replace him. 

21 hours ago, Estro said:

I dont think Beane will want to go north of a 2 year - 26.5M extension. Id expect that to be the magic #, although it wouldnt surprise me to find out Rosenhaus is asking for $16M per, in which I dont think youll see a deal worked out

He's going to want more than a 2 year term (and he'll probably get it with another team). Paying a safety big money at his age simply isn't an astute move. Odds are this is the last season you'll see Poyer in a Bills uniform.

15 hours ago, Beast said:

Let some other team pay him. Time to get younger on the back end.

Agree 100% !!! We’ve put so much money and and draft picks in to this defense enough already , it’s time to get younger and cheaper, 

I’d rather we invest in the OL and more weapons for Allen !!! 

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I love Poyer n everything he has done for the team but I agree. We just can't pay everyone, that's the problem when you have a great GM. 

I'd rather pay Oliver/Edmunds

I really think Hamlin could replace him. 

Well I'm half with you. I just cant see us paying and overpaying Edmunds, but Eddie, he's going to get paid rather handsomely on his next deal from us. I think he's going to have a balls out year and will get rewarded. Edmunds, I'm one of the meh people I guess. I'd keep him at a reasonable deal but that probably isn't what he has in mind. Let him play it out.

Poyer, I can see McBeane trading before the season. Unlike Edmunds with us just letting him play it out, I don't see that with Justin due to his age. I love Poyer but have 100% trust and faith with what McBeane does with his situation. I can honestly admit I'll miss Rachel though.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.