MINKAH Fitzpatrick huge contract

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Poyer is a good player.  But he is not an all timer the way a lot of people talk about him on here.  It would be nice if we can keep him for a couple more years on a reasonable deal.  But Beane has to look at the big picture.  And his job is not to break the bank for every player on the team.  That is not how the NFL works.  If Poyer and Drew Rosenhaus are thinking otherwise then he probably won't be here next year.  But it would be pretty foolish of him to hold out during a season that we are a very strong Super Bowl contender.  I can not imagine he would want to miss out on any of that.  Showing up at mandatory mini camp is a good move on his part.  

He’s certainly not an “all-timer” and I don’t think there’s many here saying that he is, as you claim. But he’s definitely at his peak value coming off his first all-pro selection. The only thing working against him is age.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s just not a comparable. He’ll slot in below the top contracts. The example I gave is $15 million a year in new money. Slots him right there with the top safeties, just not at the top. Before this contract I figured something around $12 million per year in new money.  So I did factor in the bump.

He’s signed so the new money would be added on, averaging a little over $13 million per year. That is market value.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

YES. He will not be slotted at the top alongside Fitzpatrick. But Fitzpatrick raised the top end of Safeties deals. Meaning that those underneath him will also raise higher than they were. This happens at all positions. It's called a market reset.

It's why teams lost their mind when they saw what Deshaun Watson got paid. It's why WR numbers got insane, even for the guys that weren't at the top. Even if Poyer wants 65-75% of what Fitzpatrick is being paid - it's still more than 65-75% of what the highest Safety contract was BEFORE Fitzpatrick's deal. To say it has no effect is simply incorrect.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

YES. He will not be slotted at the top alongside Fitzpatrick. But Fitzpatrick raised the top end of Safeties deals. Meaning that those underneath him will also raise higher than they were. This happens at all positions. It's called a market reset.

It's why teams lost their mind when they saw what Deshaun Watson got paid. It's why WR numbers got insane, even for the guys that weren't at the top. Even if Poyer wants 65-75% of what Fitzpatrick is being paid - it's still more than 65-75% of what the highest Safety contract was BEFORE Fitzpatrick's deal. To say it has no effect is simply incorrect.

Do the math then. There are many contracts to study. What do you believe is Poyer’s market? I’m 100% positive you’ll have the same numbers as me if you know what you’re looking at.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Do the math then. There are many contracts to study. What do you believe is Poyer’s market? I’m 100% positive you’ll have the same numbers as me if you know what you’re looking at.

My post that you replied to was saying that it's incorrect to say Fitzpatrick's deal has zero effect on Poyer.

Re-reading your post, you say it's "not comparable". But in the very same post you admit that his number "bumped" from 12 before Fitzpatrick to probably 15 after it.

That would be Fitzpatrick's deal having an effect on Poyer, don't you think?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My post that you replied to was saying that it's incorrect to say Fitzpatrick's deal has zero effect on Poyer.

Re-reading your post, you say it's "not comparable". But in the very same post you admit that his number "bumped" from 12 before Fitzpatrick to probably 15 after it.

That would be Fitzpatrick's deal having an effect on Poyer, don't you think?

Let me change the phrasing then. Affect that would be a deal breaker. Poyer is not going to approach that deal. His deal should be much shorter term.

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Let me change the phrasing then. Affect that would be a deal breaker. Poyer is not going to approach that deal. His deal should be much shorter term.

Well no one was saying the Minkah deal would end up as a Poyer “dealbreaker,” and no one was saying he would get a similar term. It’s affects what Poyer and his people would ask for. That’s it. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I never said this means it wouldn't get done. I simply said this notion that it doesn't effect anything in terms of the negotiations and numbers is false.

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That number would have been based on the top end value of all Safeties before the new top end deal. The market has now been reset. It bumps up every contract underneath it. That's how contracts work in the NFL. It's naive to think a market reset doesn't reset the entire market.

The bumps up come mostly at the high end of the market.

Market resets have less effect the farther down from the top few you go.

It will certainly affect what Poyer's agents are asking. No question. Will it mean much of a jump for the aging Poyer? IMO it's not that clear. And if Poyer insists on a major jump, I'd guess that will really lower the likelihood he spends 2023 in Buffalo.

8 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Hyde’s extension last year was 2 years $19.3 million, so I wouldn’t expect it to be too much more than that. My guess would be around $11 or 12 million per year.

That’s a huge part of it. Mathieu was 1st team All-Pro in 2019 and 2020, a pro bowler this past year, and only got $11 million per year at 30 years old.

But….

but….

Poyer was maybe the only Bills defender with impressive stats across the board…. He was all alone as our second leading tackler… 3 sacks, 5 ints, 9PD, 8 TFL, Hyde had 5 ints too but less everything else…. Though I think Hyde plays deep more often…

They’re both really good…

11 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Whenever the top of the market gets reset it affects everything underneath. You do understand that, right?

Then let him walk. He got run over by Watson in the playoffs and took horrible angle on Hill to lose that playoff game. 

Of course I understand that Mrs. Bush Brown Poyer

Edited by noacls

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.