Final Roster Predictions WRs

Milanos Milano

33 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'll repost the stats that I posted above just in case you missed it. I want you to explain how anyone would think this guy is a good player.

Tavon Austin 2013-2017  158 returns 1324 yards 8.4 return avg and 3 TDS. The guy I am referring to is Tavon Austin 2018-present  32 returns 159 yards 4.9 avg return 0 TDs. I won't bother getting into his #'s as a WR because they are just plain embarrassing. His high career yardage is 509 yards in a season and he's had a total of 597 yards in the last 5 years.

That's not my point. You feel he's not the right guy for the job, is terrible, and has no business being here. And that's fine.

My point is that feeling is trumped by the Bills brass' feelings. They signed him and brought him in. They obviously don't concur with those thoughts. It's him or Stevenson. And if you've looked at the job Stevenson did last season, I don't know how you can be positive he gives them a better shot.

Austin hasn't been doing much in the way of Returns over the past few years, as evidenced by your numbers of 158 returns in his first 5 years compared to 32 over the past 4. He was used more as a gadget player over that time. He feels he's healthier now than he's been over that time and feels confident doing it again.

I'm not saying he's going to be an All Pro. But it boils down to him or Stevenson. I think you'd be foolhardy to say Stevenson is head and shoulders above him and has a 2/3 chance of winning the job.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me your list predictions. Let’s see what the consensus is. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Hodgins/Kumerow  the 7th WR battle imo. 

Maiden, if they throw Kumerow on the PS, with Green Bay light on WR’s, you know with Rodgers new increased

power, they’ll pick him up in a heartbeat.

Allen was on a whole other planet towards the end of the year. He hasn’t even hit his ceiling. I honestly think he ends up beating the passing yard seasonal record when his career is all set and done. He’s now just beginning to figure out the game completely and his numbers will reflect that this year. 

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Maiden, if they throw Kumerow on the PS, with Green Bay light on WR’s, you know with Rodgers new increased

power, they’ll pick him up in a heartbeat.

We likely keep Kumerow as the 7th WR as he is good in STs. Hodgins probably goes back to PS. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Allen was on a whole other planet towards the end of the year. He hasn’t even hit his ceiling. I honestly think he ends up beating the passing yard seasonal record when his career is all set and done. He’s now just beginning to figure out the game completely and his numbers will reflect that this year. 

We likely keep Kumerow as the 7th WR as he is good in STs. Hodgins probably goes back to PS. 

probably true.  Someone else write after you Kumerow to PS.  If we keep him inactive, but on the 53, then you’re right.

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's not my point. You feel he's not the right guy for the job, is terrible, and has no business being here. And that's fine.

My point is that feeling is trumped by the Bills brass' feelings. They signed him and brought him in. They obviously don't concur with those thoughts. It's him or Stevenson. And if you've looked at the job Stevenson did last season, I don't know how you can be positive he gives them a better shot.

Austin hasn't been doing much in the way of Returns over the past few years, as evidenced by your numbers of 158 returns in his first 5 years compared to 32 over the past 4. He was used more as a gadget player over that time. He feels he's healthier now than he's been over that time and feels confident doing it again.

I'm not saying he's going to be an All Pro. But it boils down to him or Stevenson. I think you'd be foolhardy to say Stevenson is head and shoulders above him and has a 2/3 chance of winning the job.

I'm saying they both suck. Hence why I said an upgrade is needed. His claim of being unhealthy for 5 years is kind of a stretch. He may be telling the truth cause he's a small guy in the sport. He was never that good to begin with. I doubt 9 years later after being just OK and then sucking, that something is going to change his ability to play football. 

5 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm saying they both suck. Hence why I said an upgrade is needed. His claim of being unhealthy for 5 years is kind of a stretch. He may be telling the truth cause he's a small guy in the sport. He was never that good to begin with. I doubt 9 years later after being just OK and then sucking, that something is going to change his ability to play football. 

It's not going to happen. People wanted another Returner. They looked over who was available and decided on Tavon Austin. They're not going to bring in another WR/KR just because you don't like the guy they chose. The roster is at 89/90. If someone else is brought in, it will be at another position. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

He also didn’t have Josh Allen as his QB. His 4.34 speed still looks close and I have to imagine he has some ability left. Look what people said about Jerry Hughes. I’m not going to write off Austin just yet. If he can’t do anything with Josh Allen, then yeah, basically he will never be good. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not going to happen. People wanted another Returner. They looked over who was available and decided on Tavon Austin. They're not going to bring in another WR/KR just because you don't like the guy they chose.

I never said I didn't like him and they would switch the player cause of me. What I said was that he's not good. I'd like you to say otherwise

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He also didn’t have Josh Allen as his QB. His 4.34 speed still looks close and I have to imagine he has some ability left. Look what people said about Jerry Hughes. I’m not going to right off Austin just yet. If he can’t do anything with Josh Allen, then yeah, basically he will never be good. 

So you are saying Dak couldn't throw him the ball. I'd take DJax at his old age over this guy.

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

I never said I didn't like him and they would switch the player cause of me. What I said was that he's not good. I'd like you to say otherwise

So you are saying Dak couldn't throw him the ball. I'd take DJax at his old age over this guy.

He was hurt most of his time in Dallas. Even his second year, he didn’t play much as he was overcoming injuries. He also didn’t play in Green Bay. I’m not sure what happened in Jax, but I’m going to take Austin’s word for it. He says he is finally 100% healthy and feels like NFL draft night Austin. Given that he has been lighting it up so far in the offseason, I hold out an ounce of hope for him to actually contribute here. 

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He was hurt most of his time in Dallas. Even his second year, he didn’t play much as he was overcoming injuries. He also didn’t play in Green Bay. I’m not sure what happened in Jax, but I’m going to take Austin’s word for it. He says he is finally 100% healthy and feels like NFL draft night Austin. Given that he has been lighting it up so far in the offseason, I hold out an ounce of hope for him to actually contribute here. 

I will say this. If he makes the team. I hope he produces. Once he puts on the team Uni I'm on his side. But as of now I think he's a really bad player. I wouldn't mind being wrong if it means him returning some to the house for us and getting wins from it.

39 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I never said I didn't like him and they would switch the player cause of me. What I said was that he's not good. I'd like you to say otherwise.

You said "an upgrade is needed". They felt Tavon Austin IS the upgrade or at least the guy for the competition with Marquez Stevenson. There's no point in sh-tting all over him and the position until we see what comes of it in Buffalo.

43 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You said "an upgrade is needed". They felt Tavon Austin IS the upgrade or at least the guy for the competition with Marquez Stevenson. There's no point in sh-tting all over him and the position until we see what comes of it in Buffalo.

Read what I wrote above your post. Also I'm going off of the last 5 seasons of complete nothing shown

On 6/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me your list predictions. Let’s see what the consensus is. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Hodgins/Kumerow  the 7th WR battle imo. 

Stevenson over Austin. 

I'm telling yall, the kid is going to have a role on this team

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I believe you are thinking of Tavon Austin 2013-2017  158 returns 1324 yards 8.4 return avg and 3 TDS. The guy I am referring to is Tavon Austin 2018-present  32 returns 159 yards 4.9 avg return 0 TDs. I won't bother getting into his #'s as a WR because they are just plain embarrassing. His high career yardage is 509 yards in a season and he's had a total of 597 yards in the last 5 years. This man isn't making this roster.

I think what you're missing is WHY did they sign him.  If his return average stinks and he is just plain embarrassing as a WR, then just why did the Bills bring him in?  Bills hierachy just plain stupid?  Or maybe they see very high possibilities, like what he's showing in the workouts now.

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Diggs

Davis

Shakir

Crowder 

McKenzie

Kumerow

Austin

That would be my prediction.  

Shakir, because everything they've said about him makes it seem they won't want to risk losing him by a move to the practice squad.

McKenzie, because every year I predict he'll get cut, and every year I'm wrong.  McDermott likes him, he useful in a lot of roles.  

Kumerow, because of the contract move they just made with him.   Makes me think he's approaching lock-status because of his special teams play.  

Austin because as someone just said, there's a reason the Bills signed him.  I think that reason is that they value his work ethic and attitude, and they think by defining Austin's role properly, they can better play out of him than what the league has seen so far.  They think they can get him to play the best football of his life.  

Shakir, McKenzie, Austin, and Stevenson are in a traffic jam.  From my point of view, I want someone to emerge is a solid return man, someone you can put back there and not have to worry about ball security.  McDermott didn't want to trust Stevenson, a rookie, returning kicks last season, and I doubt he'll want to trust Shakir this season.   McKenzie and Stevenson make me nervous, and that's where I expect Austin has an edge.  He has a lot experience, and if he may offer the ball security the others don't.  That would make him a lock.  (I think the guy you want to return punts is someone (1) who will not lose the ball, and (2) who has the potential to make tacklers miss.  They all have (2) - ball security is paramount).   Unless he shows a lot more than he has, I don't see Stevenson being able to take a spot from any of the others. 

3 hours ago, Deadstroke said:

I think what you're missing is WHY did they sign him.  If his return average stinks and he is just plain embarrassing as a WR, then just why did the Bills bring him in?  Bills hierachy just plain stupid?  Or maybe they see very high possibilities, like what he's showing in the workouts now.

They are far from stupid. BUT there was not much out there and we are in the situation where it couldnt get any worse than it was. So sign a speed guy and hope he shows something. There is nowhere to go but up, thats how bad it was.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.