Final Roster Predictions WRs

Milanos Milano

If it was up to me (thank god it is not) but I would keep 7 WR's and 3 TE's rather then 4/5 RB's.  Keep Touchdown Jesus on the roster for Gunner on ST and another threat when they go 5 wide. Have T. Jones and R. Gilliam battle it out for the #4 RB/ST player.  We get more value with an extra WR then we do a RB.  

42 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Diggs

Davis

Crowder
Shakir

McKenzie

Kumerow

I think Hodgins or Stevenson could be a 7th WR if they earn it but I don’t think they’ll keep 7 just for the sake of it. I also just don’t see a path for Austin making the team.

I see Austin's path as a returner at minimum.  Who else is returning????

6 minutes ago, eball said:

I think this is the year Kumerow's number is up.  They'll find another backup who can take his ST duties, and they'll keep another speed WR instead.

This is kind of how I feel. I think Austin will take returns and he makes the team. Right now, I feel it’s between Kumerow and Hodgins for 7WR if they keep 7. 

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

It will for sure be Austin, he has great return ability. 

He still has this speed. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Austin only returns punts and McKenzie, Hyde, and Crowder all have a better career yards per punt return. Also, Shakir was very good returning kicks (28.5 ypr) and punts (12.8 ypr) at Boise State.

Edited by gobills404

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

If Hodgins can't beat out a guy like Kumerow, then he is not NFL material.  Hopefully he stays healthy and that allows the talent that he showed at Oregon State to come out.  

He is at best a fringe NFL player.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Does this mean you think McKittrick is our return man?

I think Austin has a shot at the job. If he doesn't win it I think McKittrick is most likely. Stevenson hasn't caught a cold yet this spring.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is at best a fringe NFL player.

I think Austin has a shot at the job. If he doesn't win it I think McKittrick is most likely. Stevenson hasn't caught a cold yet this spring.

I used to think this, until I gave it some further thought. Hodgins has been hurt and hasn’t done much. But why would McB keep him around if they thought he was marginal at best? They must see something in him and are just waiting for him to get healthy. By all accounts he has been flashing in OTAs. Hodgins and Austin’s stock has been up. 

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me your list predictions. Let’s see what the consensus is. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Hodgins/Kumerow  the 7th WR battle imo. 

Nope. Kumerow is only technically a WR. Much like Taiwan Jones is only technically a RB, Kumerow was re-signed pretty much exclusively for his Special Teams prowess. He will be here. If they felt he was replaceable on Special Teams, they just would have moved on from him instead of re-signing him.

The 7th spot comes down to Austin and Stevenson over who shows more as a returner in Camp and Pre-Season.

Hodgins is a non-factor. He was cut last offseason (when he was healthy btw which he hasn't been thus far this offseason) and sat on the Practice Squad in favor of 5 players who are still here. And we've since brought in Jamison Crowder, Khalil Shakir, and Tavon Austin.

He's an unknown commodity in regular season Special Teams and not a returner. He's not making the 53 regardless of what he shows this Summer. His ceiling here is being signed back to the Practice Squad. If he shows something, maybe he ends up on someone else's 53 that has a weaker roster.

I truly don't understand why he's such a fan favorite amongst fans. We essentially washed our hands of him last season when we cut him and made him available to be signed by teams on the PS. If they had any belief in him at all, we wouldn't have done as much as we did at the position this offseason.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, eball said:

I think this is the year Kumerow's number is up.  They'll find another backup who can take his ST duties, and they'll keep another speed WR instead.

This popular fan idea of McDermott's core Special Teams players like Taiwan Jones, Tyler Matakevitch, and Jake Kumerow as being a job anyone can do and valuing what they bring at their "true position" over what they've shown on Special Teams comes up every year. 

Every year Taiwan Jones is replaceable. And every year he's here. McDermott values guys who he feels excels at Special Teams. Kumerow has become one of those guys. If they felt he was as replaceable there as you think, they wouldn't have bothered to give him a new contract.

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This popular fan idea of McDermott's core Special Teams players like Taiwan Jones, Tyler Matakevitch, and Jake Kumerow as being a job anyone can do and valuing what they bring at their "true position" over what they've shown on Special Teams comes up every year. 

Every year Taiwan Jones is replaceable. And every year he's here. McDermott values guys who he feels excels at Special Teams. Kumerow has become one of those guys. If they felt he was as replaceable there as you think, they wouldn't have bothered to give him a new contract.

This is the only thing that makes me think that Kumerow is WR7. It’s between him and Hodgins imo. 

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir 

Austin/Stevenson (Only if Austin has a bad summer as a PR/KR)

Hodgins/Kumerow

Bills keep 7 WRs even if that means 2TEs on the 53 with another on PS.

This looks about right to me.  The last 2 decisions will be made based on special teams.  I don't think Stevenson will make it, but I do think the return duties are between him and Austin.  I would also give Kumerow the edge over Hodgins, as he's a very good ST player and seems to be a process guy.  He was well-liked by Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay and I think the Bills like him too.  Stevenson and Hodgins are candidates for the Practice Squad, although neither has a track record of staying healthy. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is the only thing that makes me think that Kumerow is WR7. It’s between him and Hodgins imo. 

How? Kumerow was specifically re-signed this offseason as a core Special Teamer. He has years of real game experience there and they valued him enough to give him a new contract. Hodgins has shown zero Special Teams prowess and has no regular season experience, regardless of what he shows in TC and Pre-Season.

Combined with Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie, and Shakir who are etched in stone and a battle between Austin and Stevenson for the return job - there is no place for Hodgins. None. Zero. Zilch. I don't even know what makes you think Hodgins has even a remote chance after we cut him last season where there was more of an opportunity to make it and he was healthy as opposed to now.

I am completely BAFFLED by there being more belief and support in Isaiah Hodgins this year than last year when we flat out cut him out of Camp. What is all this faith based off of? The one game we elevated him from the Practice Squad where he had zero catches? A media reported impressive mini-camp in 2019? I just don't get it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is kind of how I feel. I think Austin will take returns and he makes the team. Right now, I feel it’s between Kumerow and Hodgins for 7WR if they keep 7. 

It will for sure be Austin, he has great return ability. 

He still has this speed. 

So you show his longest PR ever of 98 yards from his rookie year in STL.  Truth is in last 5 years he has had only 44 punt returns for 213 yards and no TDs.  That is less than 5 yards per return!  Couple that with 7 KO returns in last 8 years and no TDs and Imho you do not have a returner that can impact a game.   I give him a 1/3 chance of making the roster 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.