Final Roster Predictions WRs

Milanos Milano

I'm more willing to bet that we're only keeping 6 WR's and utilizing TE's & RB's more often in traditional WR sets.

So it will much more likely come down to which of the marginal guys have ST skills & roles than in previous years where we keep 7 WR's and have 1 in just a return role (like Andre Roberts, etc)

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

Kumerow

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs, 

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

I am going to suggest that maybe Stevenson gets one more shot..

When I think of Kumerow and and Hodgins over the past 2 years and the highlights...well none come to mind .(outside of the TD Jake caught in Denver) If we go with 7..Kumerow I guess

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

I've been vacillating on the notion of keeping seven WRs. Its was a luxury last season, and I started leaning towards seven when they acquired Austin. But, I don't think it's going to happen. 

IMO, the Bills have committed to improving the run game. They have signed a TE (Howard), and drafted a RB (Cook) that they hope will be receiving threats. If Howard continues to struggle, it increases the chance they hold onto Sweeney. They may very well carry ten O-linesmen. They may carry five RBs-- (four minimum if they hold onto Jones).

With an increased priority on the run game, and more receiving threats in the RB, and TE rooms, carrying seven WRs becomes a luxury they won't want to afford.

My prediction stands at:

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

Kumerow

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me your list predictions. Let’s see what the consensus is. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Hodgins/Kumerow  the 7th WR battle imo. 

I agree with your list here in the event they keep 7.

I think Stevenson and Hodgins are the odd ones out

They will only keep 7 if Austin flat out wins the return job. If not it is 6. 

Agree the last spot probably comes down to Kumerow or Hodgins (Stevenson already seems down and out even this early in the summer). I would think ties go to Kumerow for teams ability so Hodgins has to flat out win the job which I still see as a bit of a long shot. If Kumerow loses out that probably guarantees Taiwan Jones's spot on the 53 - they are in competition for the second gunner spot opposite Siran Neal.

• Like (+1) 3

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

Austin

Shakir

Kumerow

McKenzie gets traded.  We have a glut of slot WRs, and Cook can also serve in that capacity.  Shakir can play inside or outside.  Austin stretches the field and returns kicks.

Hodgins and Stevenson to the practice squad.

Edited by atomicpwrd
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree the last spot probably comes down to Kumerow or Hodgins (Stevenson already seems down and out even this early in the summer). I would think ties go to Kumerow for teams ability so Hodgins has to flat out win the job which I still see as a bit of a long shot. If Kumerow loses out that probably guarantees Taiwan Jones's spot on the 53 - they are in competition for the second gunner spot opposite Siran Neal.

If Hodgins can't beat out a guy like Kumerow, then he is not NFL material.  Hopefully he stays healthy and that allows the talent that he showed at Oregon State to come out.  

• Agree 2

Diggs

Davis

Crowder
Shakir

McKenzie

Kumerow

I think Hodgins or Stevenson could be a 7th WR if they earn it but I don’t think they’ll keep 7 just for the sake of it. I also just don’t see a path for Austin making the team.

Edited by gobills404

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm more willing to bet that we're only keeping 6 WR's and utilizing TE's & RB's more often in traditional WR sets.

So it will much more likely come down to which of the marginal guys have ST skills & roles than in previous years where we keep 7 WR's and have 1 in just a return role (like Andre Roberts, etc)

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

Kumerow

What he said

49 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've been vacillating on the notion of keeping seven WRs. Its was a luxury last season, and I started leaning towards seven when they acquired Austin. But, I don't think it's going to happen. 

IMO, the Bills have committed to improving the run game. They have signed a TE (Howard), and drafted a RB (Cook) that they hope will be receiving threats. If Howard continues to struggle, it increases the chance they hold onto Sweeney. They may very well carry ten O-linesmen. They may carry five RBs-- (four minimum if they hold onto Jones).

With an increased priority on the run game, and more receiving threats in the RB, and TE rooms, carrying seven WRs becomes a luxury they won't want to afford.

My prediction stands at:

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

Kumerow

I don't think there is any way they are going to have "an increased priority on the run game."  I think they want to be more productive when they choose to run, but to take the ball out of Allen's hands more often than about 12-15 plays per game is nuts.  They're going to do that.  Howard and Cook are here to catch passes, and also participate in the run game.  Not the other way around.

I think the Bills will keep 6 WRs and then 6 Special Teamers (K, P, LS, 3 Dudes).  If one of those ST Dudes happens to be a "WR" then so be it.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Does this mean you think McKittrick is our return man?

Just now, Gugny said:

Does this mean you think McKittrick is our return man?

Well kinda looks like either him or Austin as it sits for now I believe. Unless one feels that Stevenson makes the amount of improvement to leap in front. Which would be shocking 

1 minute ago, GustheDog33 said:

I don't think there is any way they are going to have "an increased priority on the run game."  I think they want to be more productive when they choose to run, but to take the ball out of Allen's hands more often than about 12-15 plays per game is nuts.  They're going to do that.  Howard and Cook are here to catch passes, and also participate in the run game.  Not the other way around.

I think the Bills will keep 6 WRs and then 6 Special Teamers (K, P, LS, 3 Dudes).  If one of those ST Dudes happens to be a "WR" then so be it.

IMO, the Bills started increasing their focus on the run in the second half of last season. They started '21 without an effective run game, and were exposed as a spread-offense-only team. I also think that the improvement we saw in the run game by the end of the season had little to do with Singletary's play, and everything to do with the O-line. And then in the offseason, they continued this trend with the addition of Saffold, and hiring Kromer. They went after McKissic, and then acquired Duke Johnson, and drafted Cook in the second.

And I'm not even saying that we're going to see more run plays, and fewer pass plays. We're certainly not going to stop being a spread offense. But, the offensive moves they made in the off-season point to improving the run. I think that is especially true wrt the O-line. And If they acquired receivers who can "participate in the run game," as you suggest, then as a spread offense, they have increased their priority on the run game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.