Maybe We Should "Pump" The Breaks On Super Bowl Plans?!?!?!

Mooshocker12

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

In the NFL, once you get down to the final 5-6 teams (meaning the Divisional Round), everything is really just a toss-up.

Fans worry too much about who is the "overall best team" in the league -- when in reality the last few games usually come down to specific matchups, injuries, who is on a hot streak, and just a little bit of luck.  That's why the recipe for a championship is... win your division, get at least one home playoff game and hopefully the chips fall the right way.

Think about it.  Add a squib kick, and remove a blocked punt... we easily could have gotten a Buffalo/Green Bay Super Bowl matchup instead of a Los Angeles/Cincinnati.  That's how small the margin of error is.

And if SF catches that INT on the Rams winning drive, Jimmy Garopollo plays in the SB and the Bengals probably win. Living in Cincinnati, I watched the Bengals run closely. To your point, they got so many bounces. The Raiders had 1st and 10 in the red zone at the end of the divisional round and didn't score. The deflection on their game winning INT in Tennessee shot straight up. Something happened at half time in the AFCCG between Mahomes, Hill and the coaches. There is a reason that Hill is not on the Chiefs, and I think it stems from that.

As to the OP. This is my #1 pet peeve in sports fandom. WE AS FANS HAVE ZERO IMPACT ON THE OUTCOMES OF GAMES. The hot topic of the week has been "we can't overlook the Dolphins." I'll overlook them all I want. I'll say it right here: The Dolphins suck. Tua Sucks. Hill without Mahomes will regress and the Fins with that rookie head coach will be lucky to win six games. I'll also say that the Bills won't lose a game this year and will win the next 10 Super Bowls. Are any of those statements true? Probably not, but my saying them have zero impact on the performance of the Buffalo Bills. The players have to take all opponents seriously or you get Jacksonville. McD, Frazier and Dorsey have to game plan week to week, because "any given Sunday." But fans? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mooshocker12 said:

First, I've been a true blue Bills fan since 1980.  I've lived through the highs and the lows. One thing I have come to understand about the game is that it has to be played prior to declaring a winner.  I read throughout a variety of news reports, interviews, story's, updates, etc., that we need to have already made our reservations for the Super Bowl.  This really scares me (maybe I'm more of a frightened, tainted Bills fan these days). There are so many variables that are outside of anyone's control and there are numerous challenges that will arise which may, or may not, contribute to a loss here and there (see Jacksonville from last season).

I suppose my point is this...let's move away from declaring and move towards supporting...through the good and the bad. Never too high and never too low!  Go Bills!

?!?!?!

I am nervous going into every game.  Right now I am hoping we beat the Rams.  I try to look no further than the next game.  

I also want to mention that the drought would have been at least 18 years if not for Andy Dalton's miracle vs. the Ravens.  

I have faith that the Bills will beat the Rams on opening night.  Barring significant injuries, the Bills are the better team.

1-0; that's my personal goal for this team.  

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

You don't want to go to Candy.  A 6'5", 275lb of all muscles guy named Charles will show up and say "Candy" was double booked so she sent him instead. And he is not gentle.  

Unless you're into rough massages.  

'Hotel Korea'

I think it moved

george costanza seinfeld GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mooshocker12 said:

First, I've been a true blue Bills fan since 1980.  I've lived through the highs and the lows. One thing I have come to understand about the game is that it has to be played prior to declaring a winner.  I read throughout a variety of news reports, interviews, story's, updates, etc., that we need to have already made our reservations for the Super Bowl.  This really scares me (maybe I'm more of a frightened, tainted Bills fan these days). There are so many variables that are outside of anyone's control and there are numerous challenges that will arise which may, or may not, contribute to a loss here and there (see Jacksonville from last season).

I suppose my point is this...let's move away from declaring and move towards supporting...through the good and the bad. Never too high and never too low!  Go Bills!

This might bethe most competitive AFCin History 7-8 Super Bowl worthy teams are not going.  Could be the Bills fate.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

There are 32 teams, so - all things being equal - the chance of any team winning the Super Bowl in a given year is 1 in 32, about 3%.

But not all variables are equal.  Some teams have better coaches and better players.

So the very best franchises might have a something like 10% chance of winning the SB, while the worst teams might be under 1%.   

While I really like the team Beane and McD built, I never thought the Lombardi was in the bag.  

Bet the field every time.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe don't be so fragile. The Bills have a great team and are a contender for the super bowl. Those are facts.

Take advantage of this current Bills team because it's not going to be around forever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

While I hate the "pump the brakes" expression, I agree with the OP.  Was just posting in another thread that I love all Bills teams about the same (within a range).  Even when they suck.  Rain or shine, they are our squad.  So I am all with the OP on "let's support this excellent group while we got 'em."  

I want that Super Bowl as much as any fan (I think), but I am going to stay thankful for what we have and support them both when they thrill and when they disappoint.  I am thankful that they are here.  When I was a kid, Ralph threatened repeatedly to move the squad.  So long as the Bills are from Buffalo I can easily support them through anything.  Sometimes it is a bit easier than others, but it is always easy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.