Bills minicamp Day 1 &2 observations: James Cook flashes in pass game

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Not  Jake Kumerow (correct spelling). 

He is seen as a key special teams player who can do spot play as WR and who is a good blocker as a WR.

Bills do not USUALLY ask for a restructure to save money and then cut the player the same year so his spot is safe as long as a player does not out perform him on special teams and can handle the spot plays Bills use him in. 

If a team offers Bills a pick or player they can use (not one cut in training camp) more likely.

image.png

Very valid points. I dont see Kumerov’s resigning equaling his roster spot to he secure as Austin can play teams but he definitely plays a different role on teams. We shall see for sure my friend 😊

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe… all three are scrubs.

Time will tell I suppose 

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I think it’s actually pretty easy to understand why we have 3 slots. Crowder is on a one year deal and McKenzie is not an every down player. Shakir will most likely be the slot starting next year. 

Ill specify.. don’t understand why we have 3 slot WR’s and only 3 outside WR’s, one of which is Jake Kumerow. 

I get the forward thinking in roster building, but we have some strange depth right now (on the surface) behind a strong 3 wide in Diggs-Davis-Crowder. 

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ill specify.. don’t understand why we have 3 slot WR’s and only 3 outside WR’s, one of which is Jake Kumerow. 

There's been some implication that they'll be using McKenzie more on the outside this year. Matt Parrino said on his minicamp recap podcast, after watching both minicamp practices, that he thinks McKenzie is ready to take more outside snaps this year. Hard to think he didn't see something there that gave him that idea. Then there was this:

It's very possible they're giving McKenzie the hybrid outside/slot WR role that Davis had last year, with Shakir (or Austin?) backing him up in that role. He performed well when called on last year. I think they're ready to elevate him beyond a gadget player only role.

The Bills 100% have a plan at outside WR if Diggs or Davis go down for an extended period of time, and I highly doubt Kumerow is the entire plan. More likely they would let some combination of McKenzie and Shakir and Austin take that spot, and start funneling more passes to the TEs and RBs to make up for some of the lost production. In a real emergency situation you keep a player like Julio Jones or TY Hilton on speed dial.

There's a pervasive idea on this board that if the Bills don't have a true #2 outside WR waiting in the wings behind Davis that means that they aren't prepared in case of injury. I don't think that's true at all. Like any other team that falls into that position we would find a way to make it work.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's been some implication that they'll be using McKenzie more on the outside this year. Matt Parrino said on his minicamp recap podcast, after watching both minicamp practices, that he thinks McKenzie is ready to take more outside snaps this year. Hard to think he didn't see something there that gave him that idea. Then there was this:

It's very possible they're giving McKenzie the hybrid outside/slot WR role that Davis had last year, with Shakir (or Austin?) backing him up in that role. He performed well when called on last year. I think they're ready to elevate him beyond a gadget player only role.

The Bills 100% have a plan at outside WR if Diggs or Davis go down for an extended period of time, and I highly doubt Kumerow is the entire plan. More likely they would let some combination of McKenzie and Shakir and Austin take that spot, and start funneling more passes to the TEs and RBs to make up for some of the lost production. In a real emergency situation you keep a player like Julio Jones or TY Hilton on speed dial.

There's a pervasive idea on this board that if the Bills don't have a true #2 outside WR waiting in the wings behind Davis that means that they aren't prepared in case of injury. I don't think that's true at all. Like any other team that falls into that position we would find a way to make it work.

There is a "pervasive idea" that Jake Kumerow is not a good 3rd option outside............and that the next 3-4 other options are small targets.......including the short-armed  rookie Shakir.

How invested are you in this idea that the Bills are going to use a 5'7" and 28 7/8" arm McKenzie as a replacement for the 6'2" 32 1/4" armed Davis on the outside? (combine measurements, fwiw)

Seems ridiculous, to be honest.

Do you understand why teams don't use small target receivers outside the hashes?

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How invested are you in this idea that the Bills are going to use a 5'7" and 28 7/8" arm McKenzie as a replacement for the 6'2" 32 1/4" armed Davis on the outside? (combine measurements, fwiw)

Not invested in it as our primary option, but we're talking about a potential injury to Diggs or Davis. There isn't going to be a perfect solution. And based on everything we've heard this offseason it sounds like they plan on McKenzie taking some snaps outside so they must feel somewhat comfortable with him in that role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.