Bills minicamp Day 1 &2 observations: James Cook flashes in pass game

2 hours ago, Tanoros said:

Shakir is going to play an important part of the rock/paper/scissors game on offense, even as a rookie. 

Check out this analysis of Shakir. I didn’t realize he could do some work from the backfield. With him and Cook (plus the other weapons), our offense will be very hard to stop, because we will have counter moves all over, plus we have guys who can win 1v1 as it is. 

Highly doubt it.  The kid has a huge learning curve to begin with coming from a very weak conference.  He also fell to the 5th round for a reason.  Can late round picks make it?!  Absolutely, but it usually takes a very long time.

There is 0.1% chance that plays are even being made for him.  If he makes the team, he won't even be dressed without injuries.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Highly doubt it.  The kid has a huge learning curve to begin with coming from a very weak conference.  He also fell to the 5th round for a reason.  Can late round picks make it?!  Absolutely, but it usually takes a very long time.

There is 0.1% chance that plays are even being made for him.  If he makes the team, he won't even be dressed without injuries.

Did you watch the video? It honestly sounds like you didn’t. There is a couple VERY specific examples of how him and Cook together can change how the defense defends our offense, you know, things that defenses did last season, that we know have two counters for. 

Also, Shakir opening things up for our offense doesn’t mean he is going to have a monster season, in fact, in the video Brett mentioned that a good year would be around 500 yards or so, but his value would be more so in relation to the rock/papers/scissors games that defenses and offenses play. 

Look how our offense evolved during the season last year. With Shakir we have someone who excellent at alot of different things, which means, it’s very possible our offense evolves during this up coming season in ways that incorporate Shakir, while keeping defenses on their heels. 

Lastly about late picks taking a long time to do anything, I’ll references Gabe’s rookie season. He contributed quite well, and right off the bat. If Shakir can provide something close to Gabe Davis year 1 production, while providing our offense with more versatility/counters, that’s good boost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Buffalo716 said:

PS Chad Hall is definitely a rising star in the coaching ranks 

His enthusiasm and way he connects with players is on another level 

Also a service academy graduate!

You say that, and I do like him…. But why is our secondary coach the passing game coordinator?

Am i the only person that finds that weird with a rookie OC?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

You say that, and I do like him…. But why is our secondary coach the passing game coordinator?

Am i the only person that finds that weird with a rookie OC?

People read passing game coordinator and see defensive backs and are like what the hell 

Being around the game of football for 30 plus years in every capacity... I can guarantee you it's defensive passing game coordinator...

They didn't think two Bills drive would have a tizzy and they would have to specify lol 

Im 100% certain

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

I think we go with the same mindset as last year when we kept 7. As much as I like McKenzie, Austin is a better punt returner. I’m the even that we only keep 7, that would likely mean a cut between McKenzie, Crowder,’and Shakir. Because I’m not sure either of those guys can play ST as well as Kumerow, but maybe I’m wrong. Those 3 WRs are just to good to cut. Which is why I think we roll with 7. 

I will say there is almost no chance that Crowder or Shakir get cut, and McKenzie not likely either.

Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir are all lock or as close to locks as you can get in the current WR room.  They likely keep McKenzie too given they just signed him back.  

That leaves one spot maybe 2 spots for a dedicated returner and possible ST player if they want.  I think it will be Tavon as the returner.  

I’m not sold they keep 7 WRs.  It’s gonna be real hard to keep 7 this year.  

My final prediction:  Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir, McKenzie, Austin.

15 hours ago, Tanoros said:

Shakir is going to play an important part of the rock/paper/scissors game on offense, even as a rookie. 

Check out this analysis of Shakir. I didn’t realize he could do some work from the backfield. With him and Cook (plus the other weapons), our offense will be very hard to stop, because we will have counter moves all over, plus we have guys who can win 1v1 as it is. 

He is not a only a near lock for the roster, he’s gonna get plenty of touches as a rookie

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m not sold they keep 7 WRs.  It’s gonna be real hard to keep 7 this year.  

I think it'll be easier as we won't have the same gluttiny on the defensive line.  It was surprising we kept 11 d-lineman but we did last year.  I think we only keep nine this year (five DE's and four DT's).  Ankou goes to practice squad.  That would open up a 7th WR spot and a spot elsewhere.

• Agree 2

There will be outside packages for Cook, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to take the ball up the middle.  That will remain Singletary’s job.

Shakir barring injuries will have a tough time getting on the field.  He has stiff competition, and it’s not like McKenzie’s going to willingly relinquish the third receiver role, or Crowder.  I just don’t see him moving up from 5th until injuries happen which are inevitable.  He has a real opportunity to get ST action and may shine there his rookie year.

Edited by machine gun kelly

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

That would have to be the smallest group in the league.

So whose the savior in terms of size?  Kumerow who never steps on the field in offense?

They will keep the best players, and if Kumerow proves to be one of them, they will keep him.  But I seriously doubt they cut a better WR to keep Kumerow just because he’s bigger.  They might keep Kumerow for ST, but he isnt getting a free roster spot just because he’s bigger.  

We got size at TE and Diggs and Davis both play big.  

Size won’t be an issue IMO.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Any write ups on Crowder????

I haven’t seen any mention at all on him yet most are banking on he’s gonna be a solid replacement for Beasley.

I mean through all the video thus far, you never see Crowder.

Yes.  There was a report from Day 2 of OTAs that he's settling-in and making big plays here and there.

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

That would have to be the smallest group in the league.

It wasn't any bigger last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's pretty obvious by now the Bills don't go out looking for the big WR. They've signed enough little-ish guys by now that they have a type, and it's smurfs

EDIT Tavon Austin made a comment about it actually but I can't find it

EDIT2: Here it is:

Austin is only 5-foot-8½ inches, the same as Jamison Crowder. Isaiah McKenzie is 5-7½. Marquez Stevenson is a shade more than 5-10. Austin has played about half his snaps in his career on the outside, with the other half in the slot.

“I love it,” Austin said. “A lot of little, small, fast guys. You know what I mean? Everywhere. Just running. Usually in the NFL they want all the big guys. But over here they got the one big guy that's No. 17 and the rest of us little, small guys. So that's what I like about it, all of us are fast and we can do everything.”

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Like (+1) 4

On 6/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Anyone know why this guy is “Flipping” out?

or 

Anyone know why this guy is?!

Looked like our WR coach. Drawing a blank on his name at the moment but 95% sure it's him

On 6/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, Limeaid said:

If a player is being put on IR and does not believe he should be on it he can bring documentation from another doctor and get a hearing with NFL.

I highly doubt we would draft a player that would do this. They could, but Shakir has a place on this team. If they talk to him let him know that, but he's g2 show it consistently and get coached up for first half the season I think he'd play along

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

It's pretty obvious by now the Bills don't go out looking for the big WR. They've signed enough little-ish guys by now that they have a type, and it's smurfs

Our outside guys are 6 footers and Shakir is too…but yeah a lot of slot sized guys

• Disagree 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:42 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Bills minicamp Day 1 observations: James Cook flashes in pass game

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/06/buffalo-bills-minicamp-day-1-observations-james-cook-flashes-in-pass-game-jordan-poyer-practices-in-full.html

Jordan Poyer practices in full

MORE! I Require MORE! lol

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

There will be outside packages for Cook, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to take the ball up the middle.  That will remain Singletary’s job.

Shakir barring injuries will have a tough time getting on the field.  He has stiff competition, and it’s not like McKenzie’s going to willingly relinquish the third receiver role, or Crowder.  I just don’t see him moving up from 5th until injuries happen which are inevitable.  He has a real opportunity to get ST action and may shine there his rookie year.

People every year think McKenzie is going to have a role then barely sees the field all year.  So I think once again people are over estimating how many snaps McKenzie will get.  And I think Shakir will end the season with the 4th most touches at WR and not too far behind Crowder.  Next year, he will fully take over for Crowder and be the full time starting slot WR.  

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People every year think McKenzie is going to have a role then barely sees the field all year.  So I think once again people are over estimating how many snaps McKenzie will get.  And I think Shakir will end the season with the 4th most touches at WR and not too far behind Crowder.  Next year, he will fully take over for Crowder and be the full time starting slot WR.  

That an awful lot to expect out of a 5th round pick right out of the gate.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.