Bruce Smith trashes Tony Boselli's HOF Induction

Big Turk

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Bruce isn't wrong.

Boselli started 90 games in the NFL, that's only 5.6 seasons. He was a great player when healthy, and was certainly on a HOF trajectory. But based on current HOF members, there's no way somebody with that few games should be in Canton. All of the pro sports are littered with players who would've become hall of famers if not for injury, that's part of sports.

Sterling Sharpe was arguably a more dominant player than Boselli, and similarly had his career cut short. Sharpe can't get a HOF sniff despite playing in 22 more games than Boselli. How does Boselli have a better case?

Sterling Sharpe might have been the greatest WR I ever have watched. Dude would be triple teamed at times and still get open

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Making All-Pro just 3 times for a HOF seems way too low.  And his career was essentially 7 years (his 8th was spent on IR) and only the middle 5 were good.

First team all pro honors aren't easy to come by.  For example, Randy Moss was 1st team all pro 4x, Tom Brady has 3.  

He was well spoken and made a lot of valid points. It did not seem at all as sour grapes about a one time great performance as it did calling out the fact that if that is the standard to get in then it opens the door for other players to get in under the same merit. I remember that performance, Boselli got the better of an aging Bruce Smith. It was a good performance but so what...I agree with Bruce the induction should be based on the players whole body of work. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

First team all pro honors aren't easy to come by.  For example, Randy Moss was 1st team all pro 4x, Tom Brady has 3.  

Yeah but longevity makes a huge difference as well.  He was All-Pro for 3 years out of 5 good seasons.  

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, Bruce looks like a petulant douche, here.

I completely disagree.  I think Bruce actually comes off with several cogent and respectful points.  Primary among them, is that a players entire body of work and not one game should get attention relative to HOF inclusion.  I also hear him rightfully calling for civility amongst member of the HOF and even candidates.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, turftoe said:

Anthony Munoz was the left tackle that pretty much owned Bruce Smith.

Over the course of their career matchups, neither owned the other; it was a draw if anything. In the ‘89 game at Rich Bruce had a play where he gained leverage and tossed Munoz aside like a rag doll. I don’t recall anyone else ever doing that against Munoz. 

Edited by K-9

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, Bruce looks like a petulant douche, here.

Bruce was an amazing talent and player for sure, worthy of all the football accolades one can throw at him. He's also a total douche off the field. If I cared more, id look up some of the old press about him. I've run into Bruce several times during his playing days and I don't ever recall being a part of one or witnessing a positive interaction with Bruce. That said, I'm not hating on him, but i think people need to remember who he has always been. Don't be blinded by his blazing stats.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Boselli did have a great game against Bruce.  In that game, he seemed like an indomitable mountain that Bruce couldn't scale.  That fact, and the fact that the Bills lost (although perhaps there was a real argument that a fumble shouldn't have counted -- I don't remember that) are probably why Bruce is upset.  Bruce was a very great player and it probably galls him to think about the games where he wasn't at his best.  

Bruce is right that a single playoff game shouldn't be the measuring stick for the HOF.  But, it's not.  Boselli was dominant for a few years.  I personally think his career was too short to warrant the HOF but I can see how sportswriters might think differently.   Maybe Boselli's HOF nomination mentioned the game against the Bills, but that wouldn't have been enough to get him in.  

I can't believe Webb isn't in the HOF.  That's a disgrace.  Year after year, the battle of the 78s was worth the price of admission all by itself.

Bruce vs Bruce Armstrong were always great battles also.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I find it VERY odd that he didn't mention Orlando Pace, who was at least as good as anyone he did mention, or even Jumbo Elliot (who also had some decent games against Bruce). 

On November 20, 2000.......as a Redskin.......Bruce put up 3 sacks(including a safety) against Orlando Pace.    It would be a bit self-serving to talk up Pace after he had done that to him. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Both are true. Bruce is highly egotistical AND Boselli doesn't deserve the HOF. There are more deserving OL who had much longer careers. You really have to wonder why he got special treatment. To get JAX players in the hall?

Disagree on both.  Bruce Smith is one of the top D Lineman of all time.  He can say whatever he likes.  You can say the same about LT, and Ray Lewis.  As for Boselli he was a bad ass left tackle.  One of the best ever as well.  If Terrell Davis got in with 4 great seasons, why shouldn't Boselli get in?  

Football just like life has changed so much over the years.  The game used to be played by gladiators.  Big mean tough dudes with bad intentions.  (Think Oakland Raiders, circa 1970's or Darryl Talley circa every day, Steve Atwater, etc)  Now we read nonsense about a kicker and a long snapper sitting on the sidelines at halftime of the Super Bowl watching the halftime show.  How would that have gone over with Charles Haley or Ronnie Lott on those great 49ers teams?  LOL.  And the head coach of the Washington whatever you call them calling out and fining his D Coordinator for giving his opinion on US politics because it may have offended some people!!  Wa Wa Wa!!

If Bruce has something to say.  You had better listen.  

I will say this...........there was no love lost between Boselli and Bruce.    I saw every snap of #78's career and never saw any LT matchup as well against Bruce as Boselli.   Boselli was also an extremely mean SOB and big time trash talker.   He was incredibly unlikeable...........but I gotta' say, as much as I hated seeing him lined up across from Bruce....... Boselli passed the eye test as a HOF'er to me.    Because when healthy he was a top 10 ever LT, IMO.    Webb and Armstrong were outstanding but just good enough that they really NEEDED to play for a long time to separate themselves from the Hall of Very Good.    Boselli was notably better IMO.    

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 947 said:

Bruce isn't wrong.

Boselli started 90 games in the NFL, that's only 5.6 seasons. He was a great player when healthy, and was certainly on a HOF trajectory. But based on current HOF members, there's no way somebody with that few games should be in Canton. All of the pro sports are littered with players who would've become hall of famers if not for injury, that's part of sports.

Sterling Sharpe was arguably a more dominant player than Boselli, and similarly had his career cut short. Sharpe can't get a HOF sniff despite playing in 22 more games than Boselli. How does Boselli have a better case?

Yep. One game shouldn’t get anyone in the HOF. If that was the case Gabe Davis is a lock. But he’s not. It’s about a career. Boswell had the talent, for sure, but I’m not sure the injuries didn’t shorten his time to make him borderline, at best. It happens. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.