Bruce Smith trashes Tony Boselli's HOF Induction

Big Turk

On 6/14/2022 at 1:34 PM, Utah John said:

Boselli did have a great game against Bruce.  In that game, he seemed like an indomitable mountain that Bruce couldn't scale.  That fact, and the fact that the Bills lost (although perhaps there was a real argument that a fumble shouldn't have counted -- I don't remember that) are probably why Bruce is upset.  Bruce was a very great player and it probably galls him to think about the games where he wasn't at his best.  

Bruce is right that a single playoff game shouldn't be the measuring stick for the HOF.  But, it's not.  Boselli was dominant for a few years.  I personally think his career was too short to warrant the HOF but I can see how sportswriters might think differently.   Maybe Boselli's HOF nomination mentioned the game against the Bills, but that wouldn't have been enough to get him in.  

I can't believe Webb isn't in the HOF.  That's a disgrace.  Year after year, the battle of the 78s was worth the price of admission all by itself.

Yeah, I deserve it. Oh wait, you meant Richmond.... 🥺

On 6/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, Big Turk said:

Is not going over well in the NFL community...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-community-reacts-bruce-smith-000514801.html

"Tony Boselli kicked Bruce Smith’s ass. Tony never talks about that game, just did his job, as usual. Even seems embarrassed when asked about it. He’s one of the best LTs ever. Whether Bruce likes it or not. Truly deserves HOF. That is all. Have a good day."

• Like (+1) 1

I don't necessarily have an issue with Boselli going in, but I have an issue with him going on before players like Sterling Sharpe who were in the same boat as him as players who dominated but had careers cut short due to injury.

Sharpe played 7 seasons, led the NFL in receptions 3 times, yardage once, and TDs twice. 5 of those years were over 1000 yards. The other two were 761 yards in his rookie season and then 961 yards in 1991. 4 time Pro Bowler, 3 time First team all pro in 7 years.

Still the most uncoverable receiver I have ever seen. Dude was triple teamed at times and still got wide open.

Also, is above several other WRs who are in the HOF according to POF Hall of Fame Monitor, which is imperfect, but it shows how he compares in some way at least...right below Biletnikoff who is in and above 6 other WRs who are in.

image.thumb.png.da846510927233d97080b96963e7ccd7.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't necessarily have an issue with Boselli going in, but I have an issue with him going on before players like Sterling Sharpe who were in the same boat as him as players who dominated but had careers cut short due to injury.

Sharpe played 7 seasons, led the NFL in receptions 3 times, yardage once, and TDs twice. 5 of those years were over 1000 yards. The other two were 761 yards in his rookie season and then 961 yards in 1991. 4 time Pro Bowler, 3 time First team all pro in 7 years.

Still the most uncoverable receiver I have ever seen. Dude was triple teamed at times and still got wide open.

Also, is above several other WRs who are in the HOF according to POF Hall of Fame Monitor, which is imperfect, but it shows how he compares in some way at least...right below Biletnikoff who is in and above 6 other WRs who are in.

image.thumb.png.da846510927233d97080b96963e7ccd7.png

IT's all about the yards for WR.  A guy in his era with under 9000 won't get him in.  7 year career hurts him too.  e wasn't the Barry Sanders of WR..

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

IT's all about the yards for WR.  A guy in his era with under 9000 won't get him in.  7 year career hurts him too.  e wasn't the Barry Sanders of WR..

3rd during that time to Jerry Rice and Henry Ellard...2nd in TD's

How the hell is Ellard not in the HOF??

image.thumb.png.0047ceb029b1547f9ec1a36f422bccb8.png

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

3rd during that time to Jerry Rice and Henry Ellard...2nd in TD's

How the hell is Ellard not in the HOF??

image.thumb.png.0047ceb029b1547f9ec1a36f422bccb8.png

He played a lot more games and got to 14,000 yards.  Sharpe didn't play long enough.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He played a lot more games and got to 14,000 yards.  Sharpe didn't play long enough.

Yes, I know...That is only showing the stats from the time Sharpe played from 1988-1994

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Seems like part of Bruce's comments are to bolster the case for Will Wolford.

And others like Richmond Webb, Bruce Armstrong, etc. Also the fact that Boselli didn't protect Brunell's blind side. Brunell's athleticism was beneficial to Boselli much like Josh's is to Spencer Brown. 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

On 6/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Gugny said:

Whether he's right or wrong, I don't understand the need for him to say anything.  If anything, how about picking up the phone and discussing it with Boselli directly?

Bruce is gonna be 59-years-old next week.  I think it's embarrassing that one of the best defensive players in the history of the NFL took to social media to "defend himself."

I'll file this one in my, "grow the f*ck up" folder.

*59 years old

You are getting this mixed up with hyphenation when modifying a noun (for example, "a 59-year-old man")

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

*59 years old

You are getting this mixed up with hyphenation when modifying a noun (for example, "a 59-year-old man")

Good catch on the grammar!

Bruce is doing what has been talked about in barber shops for a long time.   Probably since Curtis Martin.  or Lynn Swann.

But very very few HOF-ers have the standing to go public with it.   It would take

(1) a player of Bruce's unquestionable dominance in the league, and also

(2) a player like Bruce who went head-to-head with the perceived slacker (HOF-worthiness wise)

Who could say for curtis martin:  i'm a first ballot HOF and played against him lots of time and he is only very good?   Everybody.  so, therefore, nobody really.  A fellow rb cant complain about Martin.

For a sketchy WR, for example, it would take somebody like Deion Sanders to be able to say "this has gone too far.  I shut him down ridiculously easy but/for one game." 

The conversation needed to be had.  I think this is the first time a lock first ballot HOF player had the opportunity to do this.  with appropriate Standing.

In fact, i wonder (tin foil) if there was a plan in place to support Bruce's standing ahead of time, just in case they actually let somebody perceived as borderline-at-best, by leaking and fanning the fact that Boselli's camp based its pitch on that one game, or whatever.

(and earlier poster compared to what Reggie White would have done.  Me?  I think Reggie would have had an opinion on the HOF selection for years, woudl have been privy to all the whispered conversations just like Bruce and so many others in and out of football.  Maybe Reggie would have said "okay, its my moment to take a stand, 'cause this shtt is ridiculous now.')

Edited by maddenboy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.