Bruce Smith trashes Tony Boselli's HOF Induction

Big Turk

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I will say this...........there was no love lost between Boselli and Bruce.    I saw every snap of #78's career and never saw any LT matchup as well against Bruce as Boselli.   Boselli was also an extremely mean SOB and big time trash talker.   He was incredibly unlikeable...........but I gotta' say, as much as I hated seeing him lined up across from Bruce....... Boselli passed the eye test as a HOF'er to me.    Because when healthy he was a top 10 ever LT, IMO.    Webb and Armstrong were outstanding but just good enough that they really NEEDED to play for a long time to separate themselves from the Hall of Very Good.    Boselli was notably better IMO.    

What about Jumbo?

Embarrassing, really. What's the point? You just created an eternal beef over a trivial situation that most people, myself included, are totally unaware of. Boselli's induction will always be questioned because of the duration of his career, but he was the dominant player at his position pretty much the entire time he played. Even if Bruce is 'right', there's no point in going this route.

Edited by skibum
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bruce didn't play a lot against him so probably didn't come to mind as readily.   He did whip Jumbo for a sack/safety in SBXXV that Hostetler somehow didn't fumble.     

That was an amazing play! I saw that huge hand grabbing his arm and was CERTAIN he would fumble. I still have no idea how Hostetler held the ball. 😒 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but longevity makes a huge difference as well.  He was All-Pro for 3 years out of 5 good seasons.  

Roger Maris was arguably the best player in the game for at least 3 years, realized a landmark achievement and won’t make the Hall. I don’t know about Boselli’s personality but I’d bet he was good with sportswriters. Maris was born surly. Stengel used to say you could ask him a question and he’d stare at you for a week before giving you an answer. The sportswriters hated him. 

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Both are true, sure. But I don't think he came off as egotistical in his letter at all. Everything is super fair and not filled with emotions. Boselli is a weird admittance to the HoF. I don't get it. 

I don't know about that.  

Resorting to underhanded tactics, like targeting a HOFer and hyping a one game matchup to bolster a nominee’s merit"

"Tony’s advocates have slid headlong down this slippery slope and dragged me unwillingly along"

Then, with absolutely no indication he understands irony:

"It also invites otherwise unnecessary commentary and scrutiny around that candidate’s worthiness of becoming a member of the HOF."

You mean...from guys like Bruce Smith??  lol. That's gold!

Maybe this is the best part:

“The HOF is an exclusive fraternity that follows a tacit code of conduct which fosters respect and brotherhood between its members."

"So I'm writing to take a huge dump on another guy's enshrinement as part of this strict code of conduct"

LOL WTF?

He's out of his mind starting a beef about another guy who got into the HOF.  Who does this?  

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 2

Reading what he said, I agree completely. Sounds like he is a little offended, but everything he says makes a lot of sense. A single game performance should not be the lynchpin for a hall of fame induction. You should need years of elite play.

So whether or not Smith is just sour grapes about this or not doesn't matter. Smith makes good points.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Reading what he said, I agree completely. Sounds like he is a little offended, but everything he says makes a lot of sense. A single game performance should not be the lynchpin for a hall of fame induction. You should need years of elite play.

So whether or not Smith is just sour grapes about this or not doesn't matter. Smith makes good points.

where is he getting that Boselli only got into the HOF because of one game vs Bruce Smith?

I watched most of Bruce's career & there was only 1 player that i watched him go against that ever just stone walled him & that was Boselli he was a great tackle which i think should be in the HOF but not sure he should be a first ballad HOFer .

He of course due to injury only player from 95 to 01 which is 8 yrs so did he do enough in that time to be on the 1st ballad ??? 

But Bruce always had his hands full when he played him i don't know if he ever really had a good game against Boselli so i guess if you can stop someone like Bruce more than not when they played you can be considered a 1st Ballad HOFer & that could be why Bruce is so POed ...

On 6/14/2022 at 1:15 PM, benderbender said:

Both are true. Bruce is highly egotistical AND Boselli doesn't deserve the HOF. There are more deserving OL who had much longer careers. You really have to wonder why he got special treatment. To get JAX players in the hall?

I wondered if he would be inducted. To me he is the best OL I've ever seen. But his career was pretty short. But as talent goes, no doubt he deserves it.

Edit: weird the "one game" comments. Boselli dominated in his career, period. Of course, Bruce got handled that one playoff game and it's Boselli's highlight, but it's not just for that ONE game! BTW, why do coaches let players ego get in the way? Boselli would remain LT in all plays, but Bruce could be moved along the line!

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.