Recap of the 2nd Day of January 6th Hearings

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do you know ANYTHING about the American judicial system? Yes…most times when the defense doesn’t put on a defense, and isn’t allowed to question witnesses, and where the prosecution is allowed to splice together deposition segments…it makes the defendant look pretty ridiculous and generally pretty guilty. Luckily that’s NOT the system we have. Now it doesn’t always mean that the defense’s case would convince/sway the jury….but for heaven’s sake…calm down.

Why are you acting like someone is saying this is a trail? 

Just pretend we are a big grand jury. That's a better analogy 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

For maybe the hundredth time, this is not a judicial proceeding. There is no prosecution and there is no defense. It is a congressional fact-finding committee. 

I honestly don’t know why this is so difficult for people to grasp.

Trust me sir….EVERYONE understands what’s going on here….but unlike the other 350 million Americans we aren’t hanging on every word of this farce as you appear to be with your color coded detailed rundown of the ‘fact finding’. You honestly don’t know that in every single criminal and civil trial the prosecution tells the jury ‘these are the facts’…honestly? I’m not trying to be mean but let’s not be silly. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You honestly don’t know that in every single criminal and civil trial the prosecution tells the jury ‘these are the facts’…honestly? I’m not trying to be mean but let’s not be silly. 

Ok, I don’t want to be mean because maybe English isn’t your first language or something, but this isn’t a criminal trial and it isn’t a civil trial. It’s not a trial, there isn’t a court, there’s no prosecution, there is no jury and there is no defense.

This is a congressional fact finding committee with sworn testimony from witnesses speaking under the penalty of perjury. 

Please, take a moment and try to recognize that. I know not everybody is familiar with these nuances but it’s not *that* hard to understand. 

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I watched the second day of the Jan 6th hearings and thought I would put a recap here for people who do not have two hours to watch it. Due to the length, I may not be able to include every statement and witness, but will include the main witnesses and important testimony.

When evaluating the testimony, I think it’s important to remember that the witnesses here were sworn in prior to testifying. Which means that if they lie, they expose themselves to perjury charges. I would keep that in mind when comparing it to people on Twitter or podcasts who have no penalty for lying.

Also of note: the committee stated that it will release all of the materials from the hearing, though I have not seen it yet. I imagine they will post it to the Committee's website.

Link to the hearing.

RECAP:

Eric Herschmann (former White House Lawyer):

• Never saw any evidence to sustain the Dominion allegations
  • The claims were nuts and Rudy Giuliani never proved his allegations

Matt Morgan (former Trump Campaign General Counsel):

• Assessed that the stolen election claims were not sufficient to be outcome changing

Chris Stirewalt (Former Fox News Politics Editor):

• After the votes were counted, Joe Biden won the election
  • In the 40-50 years of absentee ballots, Dems prefer early voting & absentee while GOP prefers election day. This is called the Red Mirage: election day results will start better for GOP and then shift as the absentee and early vote is tallied.
    • We knew this was going to be more pronounced due to the pandemic and problematic because the Trump campaign was clear they wanted to exploit it.
  • Fox News partnered with the Associated Press and the University of Chicago to build a better election forecasting device.
    • As votes come in, they compare them to their model and the Arizona tallies matched their forecast exactly
    • Calling Arizona was a unanimous decision by their team and they are proud for getting it right and beating the competition
  • As of November 7th (four days after Election Day), there was essentially no chance that Trump could win

Jason Miller (Trump Campaign Senior Advisor):

• Team was aware of the red mirage and was discussing it as the results started coming in
  • The atmosphere in the room changed when Fox called Arizona
  • While Giuliani wanted Trump to declare victory, Miller did not think it was appropriate given the results

Bill Stepien (Trump Campaign Manager):

• Told Trump the early numbers would be good but would change during the night (red mirage).
  • Tried to convince Trump that mail-in voting was a good thing. They can lock in votes early and not leave it to chance on election day
    • The GOP had an advantage on the grassroots level that would give them an edge on getting the votes in
  • Assigned Alex Cannon to look at the Arizona claims: baseless (claims of illegal voters were just people overseas voting legally)

Bill Barr (Attorney General):

• Trump claimed fraud without evidence because the results were changing as the night went on. Barr was not concerned as they knew this would happen (red mirage)
  • Trump’s claim that the election was stolen was “bull####”
  • Barr had his team look into any allegations of fraud they received and determined they were without merit, bogus, and based on misinformation.
  • Barr told Trump that the DoJ was looking into the claims but found them to be without merit
  • Mark Meadows and Jared Kushner told Barr they were working to turn Trump around
  • On Trump’s claims about Detroit: Instead of counting precincts, Detroit brings all of the ballots to a central location for tallying; meaning there would be trucks bringing in ballots from around the city at all hours
    • Also, Trump did better in Detroit than they had expected
  • On Dominion claims: idiotic and disturbing. Absolutely zero basis for the allegations
  • Trump had a report that he claimed proved he won. Barr read it and found it to be amateurish and lacked supporting evidence for its claims. Barr: “If he really believes this stuff, he’s become detached from reality”
  • Barr’s opinion is that the election was not stolen and there was no evidence that it was
  • On 2,000 Mules: “In a nutshell, we were unimpressed with it.” The cellphone data was unimpressive. Mentioned that a contractor said their truck alone probably accounted for 6 of the “mules” since their work route took them by a drop box regularly
    • Even if the ballots were harvested, courts would not throw away legitimate votes. They would still open the ballots, do the verification process and tabulate the legal votes
  • On Philadelphia claims: Turnout was in line with the rest of PA. Trump actually ran weaker than other GOP candidates on the ballot (behind 2 of the statewide candidates and the congressional delegation). That does not suggest fraud
  • On allegations that more people voted absentee in PA than requested ballots: They compared apples to oranges: took the requested absentee ballots for the primary and compared to the absentee votes in the general. When looking at apples to apples, there was no discrepancy

Jeffrey Rosen (Acting Attorney General):

• “There were instances where the president would say ‘I heard this, etc.’ and we were in position to say we have looked at that and you’re getting bad information. It’s not correct. It’s been debunked”

Derek Lyons (Counselor to the President):

• Campaign told Trump that the claims of fraud were unsubstantiated and could not be the basis for challenging the election

Alex Cannon (Trump Campaign Lawyer):

• Told Peter Navarro that the hand recount in Georgia would resolve any issues with the technology or Dominion, and that Chris Krebbs (CISA) had released report that the technology was secure.
    • Navarro told him that he and Krebbs were part of the Deep State working against Trump
  • Had brief conversation with Mike Pence in November. Pence asked if he was finding anything with voter fraud. Cannon told him he was not finding anything sufficient to alter the course of the election. Pence thanked him

Richard Donoghue (Acting Deputy Attorney General):

• Tried to be clear to Trump that after dozens of investigations and hundreds of interviews, the claims of fraud were not supported by the evidence. The info Trump was getting was false
  • There were so many claims of fraud that when you debunked one, Trump would accept it but then ask about another one
  • Claim of 68% error rate in Michigan: was actually 0.00063%
  • Claim by PA truck driver of shipping ballots: Investigated who loaded and unloaded the truck, no evidence to support claim
  • Claims about Georgia suitcase: Talked to the witnesses, there was no suitcase. If you watch the video closely, it’s an official lockbox
  • Claims about scanning ballots multiple times: No evidence
  • Claims that Native Americans were being paid to vote: No evidence

BJ Pak (US Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia):

• Bill Barr asked him to look into a video from State Farm Arena that purported to prove fraud. Pak found the alleged suitcase was an official lockbox
    • There was a mistake where they thought they were done counting for the night, so they sent the election watchers home and packed up. The Secretary of State corrected them and told them to continue counting
  • There was no evidence to support the claim of widespread fraud in Georgia
  • Pak left his position and was replaced by someone handpicked by Trump. They continued the investigations and found no evidence to support the claims

Al Schmidt (City Commissioner of Philadelphia):

• On Claim of 8,000 dead voters: could not find evidence of even 8
  • They took every claim seriously, no matter how absurd it appeared
  • When Trump tweeted about Schmidt by name, his family received threats that included the names and ages of his family as well as his home address and other personal details

Ben Ginsburg (Leading GOP election lawyer for GOP presidential candidates since 2000):

• Normal course of action after an election is to analyze the precinct results to look for abnormalities and send people to ask questions
    • Check with poll workers and observers to see if they found any irregularities (Trump campaign stated they had 50,000 observers)
  • The problem for the Trump campaign was that the election was not close. In Arizona, they were down by ~10,000 votes. When Ginsburg argued Bush v Gore, the difference was 537 votes in 2000
    • That kind of gap is not made up in a recount
  • The claim that the Trump campaign was not given the opportunity to provide evidence in court was false: about half of the 62 cases, there were discussions on the merits and in no instance did the court find the claim to be real
  • There were post-election reviews in the battleground states that found no evidence of fraud

Rep. Zoe Lofgren lead most of the hearing and also played video testimony from a staffer on the committee as well as some Trump campaign employees discussing the post-election fundraising. The main takeaways:

• Between Election Day and January 6th, the campaign sent millions of emails to supporters (as many as 25 per day)
  • They encouraged supporters to donate to the Election Defense Fund to fight the election results
  • Campaign staffers testified that there was no such fund, it was just a marketing gimmick
    • They raised $250 million after the election
    • Most of the money went to the Save America PAC created by Trump, which then disbursed funds to organizations such as a foundation run by Mark Meadows, a policy institute that employed former Trump campaign staff, the Trump Hotel Collection, and the Jan 6th rally.
    • Lofgren stated that the donors deserve to know where their money went

MY THOUGHTS / TAKEAWAYS:

This is a pretty damning takedown of the election steal claims. As far as I can tell, all of the witnesses were Republicans and/or people hired/appointed by Trump, and despite their investigations, they could not find anything to support the claim that the election was stolen. I do not believe that it will change many minds, but having this on the record in sworn testimony (as opposed to people being able to lie about it on other mediums) is helpful.

It is hard to swallow claims that all of these people were secretly working against Trump and, in fact, that claim would mean that Trump is utterly incompetent in hiring and appointing people if all of them end up working to bring him down. Also, the idea that they would all be lying under oath is difficult to believe as they would be in legal jeopardy should someone provide evidence that they are lying.

For those hoping for an indictment of Trump himself, the testimony underscores the biggest challenge with a charge like seditious conspiracy: proving mens rea (intent). There was not some smoking gun document or testimony from Trump himself stating that he knew the claims of fraud were baseless but he was pushing them anyway. As unbelievable as the claims were, and with his advisors telling him they were false, if Trump truly believed the election was stolen, that would be a significant challenge for potential prosecutors. Were there to ever be a trial, the prosecution could put on evidence like the testimony from this hearing to convince a jury that Trump was willfully ignorant of the facts (which would satisfy the mens rea requirement), but that is obviously very risky.

However, I would like to see more about the post-election fundraising in future hearings. I am not as familiar with the nuances of the law around wire fraud, but if the campaign was soliciting donations for legal expenses and instead funneling the money elsewhere, that would likely result in a lot of potential legal exposure for those involved.

thx for the write up.

most rational people understand he lost the election, and maybe some isolated cases of fraud happened, maybe not, but he was blown out, it wasn’t close. 

most people also know he says bombastic, stupid falsehoods frequently especially when his ego is involved and his cabinet party and staff frequently had difficulty reigning him in and specifically didn’t get through on this one. 

but none of this is new, so what’s the objective?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

thx for the write up.

most rational people understand he lost the election, and maybe some isolated cases of fraud happened, maybe not, but he was blown out, it wasn’t close. 

most people also know he says bombastic, stupid falsehoods frequently especially when his ego is involved and his cabinet party and staff frequently had difficulty reigning him in and specifically didn’t get through on this one. 

but none of this is new, so what’s the objective?

Honestly, I find all of this pretty fascinating and was going to watch the hearing anyway. 

But, there are so many people on this forum who espouse the debunked conspiracies and they would never sit through the hearing, so I figured I would type up some notes while watching it. 

Since the hearing was a solidly thorough debunking of the conspiracies, I was hoping that maybe seeing that Trump’s inner circle knew the claims were false might change a mind or two.

Apparently, that was very naïve of me. I expect there will be little change here at PPP from people still claiming the election was stolen. 

3 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Honestly, I find all of this pretty fascinating and was going to watch the hearing anyway. 

But, there are so many people on this forum who espouse the debunked conspiracies and they would never sit through the hearing, so I figured I would type up some notes while watching it. 

Since the hearing was a solidly thorough debunking of the conspiracies, I was hoping that maybe seeing that Trump’s inner circle knew the claims were false might change a mind or two.

Apparently, that was very naïve of me. I expect there will be little change here at PPP from people still claiming the election was stolen. 

I’m not claiming the election was stolen. I’m just not falling for this politically motivated sideshow. There’s a difference. (And for what it’s worth…it doesn’t matter whether everyone around the President was giving him different advice. He is/was the President. Not following the advice of your staff is neither a crime nor the sign of a bad leader.)

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not claiming the election was stolen. I’m just not falling for this politically motivated sideshow. There’s a difference. (And for what it’s worth…it doesn’t matter whether everyone around the President was giving him different advice. He is/was the President. Not following the advice of your staff is neither a crime nor the sign of a bad leader.)

Lol. Good one Deek.  Quite the reach though if you are serious

Having to sort through difficult issues and sometimes bucking the crowd to make a tough leadership call may indeed be a sign of a good leader.  To somehow equate that with Trump ignoring truth in order to further his self serving scheme to override the vote is just wishful fantasy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So you learned nothing, thank you for admitting that.

Attempted political coup? You are funny dude.

We're learning exactly what happened from direct sources. You don't find value in that? In an age where everyone is complaining about false claims from MSM and social media, I certainly do.

• Like (+1) 1

What else can we expect to hear?  We have a Committee 100% comprised of Washington establishment Trump haters.  Political party representation is irrelevant.  Not a single witness or piece of evidence or question is allowed that might contradict their preconceived conclusions.  Any Representative that might have been "friendly" to Trump was vetoed and excluded from the Committee by Pelosi, in violation of the committee charter.  Since when does the majority leader dictate to the minority who they can appoint on a House committee?  That tells you all you need to know as the fix was in from the start.  That's one reason many have fought subpoenas.  As the Committee itself violates the rules governing its existence it is therefore illegitimate so how can their subpoenas be anything but illegitimate too?  It's a reasonable legal argument. 

But the objective isn't legitimacy, or to gather evidence, uncover the truth, and forward information to the DOJ for potential prosecution.  Its to discredit Trump and eliminate him from the political scene.  What they don't want are a lot of "America first" candidates winning elections in November 2022 in the House or Senate, or in contests at the State level.  In 2016 Trump, by accident, crashed their party and became President.  Without ever holding any other political office and without any "grassroots" political support system in place with elected officials at lower levels of government holding the same objectives.  That made it easy for the establishment, comprised of both major political parties to obstruct and block almost everything.  In 2022 the America First movement, and Trump, are out to correct that problem.  That's the threat the Committee is worried about, not 1/6. 

The intent of the committee is to use the insurrection narrative to discredit any and all 2022 American first type candidates and label them as supporters of the insurrection.  Dangers to democracy.  The biggest threat to our nation.  For the Democrats its going to be one of the only themes they can run as as the administration's record to date has been nothing but horrendous.  Polling numbers reflect their desperation which will only grow as November approaches and conditions in the country worsen.  The last thing the Washington establishment wants are representatives of the people coming to Washington to put the interests of America and American's in general ahead of their agenda.  

I should add my conclusion that from all the current and coming chaos that neither political party is going to survive in their current form and "moderates" disenchanted with their respective political party affiliation will form together into a 3rd party that will eventually take charge. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

What else can we expect to hear?  We have a Committee 100% comprised of Washington establishment Trump haters.  Political party representation is irrelevant.  Not a single witness or piece of evidence or question is allowed that might contradict their preconceived conclusions.  Any Representative that might have been "friendly" to Trump was vetoed and excluded from the Committee by Pelosi, in violation of the committee charter.  Since when does the majority leader dictate to the minority who they can appoint on a House committee?  That tells you all you need to know as the fix was in from the start.  That's one reason many have fought subpoenas.  As the Committee itself violates the rules governing its existence it is therefore illegitimate so how can their subpoenas be anything but illegitimate too?  It's a reasonable legal argument. 

But the objective isn't legitimacy, or to gather evidence, uncover the truth, and forward information to the DOJ for potential prosecution.  Its to discredit Trump and eliminate him from the political scene.  What they don't want are a lot of "America first" candidates winning elections in November 2022 in the House or Senate, or in contests at the State level.  In 2016 Trump, by accident, crashed their party and became President.  Without ever holding any other political office and without any "grassroots" political support system in place with elected officials at lower levels of government holding the same objectives.  That made it easy for the establishment, comprised of both major political parties to obstruct and block almost everything.  In 2022 the America First movement, and Trump, are out to correct that problem.  That's the threat the Committee is worried about, not 1/6. 

The intent of the committee is to use the insurrection narrative to discredit any and all 2022 American first type candidates and label them as supporters of the insurrection.  Dangers to democracy.  The biggest threat to our nation.  For the Democrats its going to be one of the only themes they can run as as the administration's record to date has been nothing but horrendous.  Polling numbers reflect their desperation which will only grow as November approaches and conditions in the country worsen.  The last thing the Washington establishment wants are representatives of the people coming to Washington to put the interests of America and American's in general ahead of their agenda.  

I should add my conclusion that from all the current and coming chaos that neither political party is going to survive in their current form and "moderates" disenchanted with their respective political party affiliation will form together into a 3rd party that will eventually take charge. 

Remember that the committee was originally designed to be bipartisan until the GOP tanked that and the House had to do a select committee instead. 

Also, the founding rules of a committee have no bearing on the authority of Congressional subpoenas. 

To believe all of this is just a made-up witch hunt means you believe that the witnesses all perjured themselves. If that’s true, then the Pro-Trump people should provide proof of that. 

And finally, this whole “establishment hates Trump” thing in regards to this hearing means you must think that Trump is an absolute moron at hiring people. Basically every person who testified was either hired by Trump or appointed by him. He must truly be incompetent if he managed to hire dozens of people who were actually working to bring him down. 

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Remember that the committee was originally designed to be bipartisan until the GOP tanked that and the House had to do a select committee instead.  Pelosi rejected any member appointment to the committee she didn't like.   But you use the term "select" committee.  Selected by who?  In the House the majority and the minority get to name their own committee appointments.  But not here.  The Democratic leadership selected "friendly" Republicans only.

Also, the founding rules of a committee have no bearing on the authority of Congressional subpoenas. See above.  If the committee chair ignores the committee rules how can it be legitimate?  Ironic that a group not following the rules governing the existence of their committee and their investigation is investigating others for not following the rules.  

To believe all of this is just a made-up witch hunt means you believe that the witnesses all perjured themselves. If that’s true, then the Pro-Trump people should provide proof of that.  We're just hearing one side of the story.  In court there are typically witnesses that dispute or contradict the testimony of other witnesses.  The prosecution tells one story, the defense another.  That doesn't by definition imply they're guilty of perjury.  Who would they provide proof to?  The Committee?  The media?  The DOJ?  That's incomprehensible.  Would these witnesses with "proof" be allowed to testify and present contradictory testimony?  We all know the answer to that.  There's your witch hunt.  Judge, jury, and executioner all in one.

And finally, this whole “establishment hates Trump” thing in regards to this hearing means you must think that Trump is an absolute moron at hiring people. Basically every person who testified was either hired by Trump or appointed by him. He must truly be incompetent if he managed to hire dozens of people who were actually working to bring him down.  There's just no support system for an outsider going to Washington and bucking the system.  And the outsiders Trump brought into his original group saw the writing on the wall and mostly resigned or were removed early on.   

Good responses.  I welcome the civil and respectful back and forth.  So see bold above.  Regards..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Good responses.  I welcome the civil and respectful back and forth.  So see bold above.  Regards..

I'll do my best to answer your points, just bear in mind that my answers are based on how things *do* work and not necessarily how they *should* work.

1. House Select Committees

House select committees are created by a resolution. There are no requirements that all select committees must meet certain requirements. They are defined by their resolutions. The original plan was to hold a bipartisan Joint Committee (which is a committee with members from both the Senate and the House) that was negotiated between Bennie Thompson (D) and John Katko (R), but that ended up being filibustered in the Senate.

The Jan 6th committee resolution vested the appointment of members in the Speaker of the House, but 5 would be appointed after consultation with the minority leader. Kevin McCarthy announced the 5 members he wanted, but Pelosi told him she would reject Jim Jordan and Jim Banks. However, she would approve the other three. McCarthy then withdrew all of his nominations.

We can quibble about the specifics of the qualifications of who was appointed and what "after consultation" requires, but those are the facts of how the committee was established.

2. House Subpoenas

People subpoenaed by the committee could challenge the subpoena in court (and some have) but it would be an uphill battle to argue that "after consultation with the Minority leader" means that the minority leader gets to pick the people. As far as I am aware, nobody has successfully challenged a subpoena from the committee.

3. One Side of the Story / Perjury

We need to be careful about comparisons to a trial. This is not a trial or even a judicial proceeding. Trump is not on trial here, and neither are people like Rudy Giuliani. They do not face a loss of liberty through the committee and are not entitled to the due process they would be entitled to at a trial or judicial proceeding.

That being said, the witnesses are testifying under oath, so they are subject to perjury charges should they lie. When we are hearing differing arguments, those being made in the hearings and those being made in the media, it is important to note that people can lie in the media with little recourse whereas people lying to the committee give themselves legal exposure.

It's not perfect by any means, but it is interesting to see at least one person reject a request to testify under oath and then say in the media that they were lied about. If the story the committee is getting is wrong, maybe they should have testified to that.

4. Outsider vs. Establishment

This skirts close to the whole "deep state is after Trump" thing but I want to avoid that discussion because I don't think that was the intention of your point.

Washington is a bureaucratic mess but part of that is because it would be impossible for one person to manage something the size of the US federal government. This definitely makes it hard for an outsider to succeed. On the other hand, someone with little to no experience in government would likely lack the skills and experience to be effective (which is why I did not support Obama - he had so little experience when he ran).

Ultimately, this one probably comes down to opinion, but going by Occam's Razor, I just feel like it is more likely that Trump was looking for any excuse to declare that he won (putting his staff into a difficult position) than there was a web of people across his own campaign and the government invested in bringing him down. Many of the people who testified would benefit greatly from Trump winning, but when they were sworn in to tell the truth, they said that he lost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

ive watched none of this at all... do they look into why security was so light that day?  why cops waved people in? why doors were opened and protesters let in?  why they lied about cops dying? why an unarmed woman was shot?  anything about those?

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

We're learning exactly what happened from direct sources. You don't find value in that? In an age where everyone is complaining about false claims from MSM and social media, I certainly do.

There is some minor value to it but we are not learning anything except minor details. The story is known and we are using a large amount of money to go over it again. I do understand why Dems want to relive it but it is not useful.

5 hours ago, Beach said:

ive watched none of this at all... do they look into why security was so light that day?  why cops waved people in? why doors were opened and protesters let in?  why they lied about cops dying? why an unarmed woman was shot?  anything about those?

No, they just believe that the riot happened only because Trump held a rally and that's all there is to it.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, they just believe that the riot happened only because Trump held a rally and that's all there is to it.

This is a straw man argument and can be disregarded. 

To @Buffalo Timmy’s point: we’ve had two hearings of many. We did learn some new things in the hearing this week, but I would wait until it all plays out before jumping to any conclusions one way or the other. 

46 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Huh?  That's the entire basis for the impeachment and committee.  Trump held a rally and allegedly (and subliminally) told people to break into the Capitol.  What else was this all about?

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Huh?  That's the entire basis for the impeachment and committee.  Trump held a rally and allegedly (and subliminally) told people to break into the Capitol.  What else was this all about?

Much like the Jan 6th committee is not a trial or judicial proceeding, it is also not an impeachment trial.  

The committee exists with the purpose to figure out how and why the events of Jan 6th happened and to potentially recommend legislation to prevent such incidents from happening in the future.

The committee cannot indict Trump. It cannot impeach him. It cannot, in any way, shape, or form, hold him accountable. Its remit actually isn’t targeted at Trump at all, except that as they investigate, he ends up being the central figure.

So as far as he bears any responsibility at all, the only thing the committee can actually do is to expose that and hope that the DoJ takes action. 

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Much like the Jan 6th committee is not a trial or judicial proceeding, it is also not an impeachment trial.  

The committee exists with the purpose to figure out how and why the events of Jan 6th happened and to potentially recommend legislation to prevent such incidents from happening in the future.

The committee cannot indict Trump. It cannot impeach him. It cannot, in any way, shape, or form, hold him accountable. Its remit actually isn’t targeted at Trump at all, except that as they investigate, he ends up being the central figure.

So as far as he bears any responsibility at all, the only thing the committee can actually do is to expose that and hope that the DoJ takes action. 

So they're not blaming Trump at all during the Hearings?  And the panel isn't split on whether Garland should files charges at the end of it? 

And if they truly were interested in preventing it in the future, they'd explore why additional security wasn't provided.  They're not going to be doing that.  Any reason you can see why they aren't?

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

To @Buffalo Timmy’s point: we’ve had two hearings of many. We did learn some new things in the hearing this week, but I would wait until it all plays out before jumping to any conclusions one way or the other. 

Give me the two or three biggest new things just so I understand what you think makes this worthwhile.