Jump to content

Baker Mayfield to Carolina rumors heating up...


eball
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/15/2022 at 8:17 AM, The Red King said:

I'm still shaking my head at the price tag.  The Browns paid a steep toll and sold off their future for one guy.  Three 1st?

And a huge guaranteed contract

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 11:36 AM, BarleyNY said:

Robby Anderson being floated in trade for Mayfield.  I don’t know which side that is coming from though.  Carolina just restructured his contract so that would mean the Browns would have to eat a lot more of Mayfield’s contract. 

 

There's another factor here when it comes to a trade: Most players of significance are not going to want to go to Cleveland. Yes, they technically don't have a say, but they have ways to make that known and to make it very unattractive for the team to do (see Eli Manning notes above). Would a player of Anderson quality want to go to that dumpster fire? I highly doubt it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Greg S said:

I live in NJ and I can tell you the local media brings it up once in a while that both the Giants and Jets passed on Allen. Both fanbases (especially the Jets) have to hate watching Allen play like a superstar for the Bills especially since neither team is set at QB.

 

I have a friend who is a big Jets fan.  He was telling me last year how he was lamenting to his son that the Jets didn't take Allen.  His son said to him that if they did, they would have ruined him.  I said to him that I disagree and that Josh's talent would have shown through wherever he went.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

Mayfield threw for 3725 yards (#8 all time) and 27 TDs (#2 all time) in 13 starts his rookie season.  Was PFWA Rookie of the Year. 

 

2 years later, he brought the Browns to their 1st playoff game in 18 years.  11-5 with 26 TD on only 8 ints.  Was injured last year.

 

Voted by his peers as NFL top 100 players in 2019 (50) and 2020 (71).

 

Took Josh 3 seasons t get over 3100 yards per.  Both with 59/60 starts, 14k yards, JA with 10 more TD.  Josh is obviously the better player, but Mayfield came off the bus ready to play.  He is part of an organization run by idiots.  Not sure Carolina will do much for him (Cleveland may have permanently damaged him)--just a different group of idiots down there.

 

I think that Mayfield simply hasn't grown professionally.  He started out at a high level (for a rookie QB) but he really hasn't upped his game significantly since his second season.  Is that on him or on the Browns?   I don't know.   What I do know is that it's not uncommon for highly drafted QBs to fail to improve significantly after their first or second year as a starter.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

 

I think that Mayfield simply hasn't grown professionally.  He started out at a high level (for a rookie QB) but he really hasn't upped his game significantly since his second season.  Is that on him or on the Browns?   I don't know.   What I do know is that it's not uncommon for highly drafted QBs to fail to improve significantly after their first or second year as a starter.

 

 

 

He needs to grow up some, no doubt.  But everything about that Browns org--from it's criminal moron of an owner to the goofy MLB analytics guy team to the worst coaching hires in NFL history certainly didn't help him with that.

 

He would be a better QB if he landed with Andy Reid or Shanahan or McDaniels bringing him along.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

 

There's another factor here when it comes to a trade: Most players of significance are not going to want to go to Cleveland. Yes, they technically don't have a say, but they have ways to make that known and to make it very unattractive for the team to do (see Eli Manning notes above). Would a player of Anderson quality want to go to that dumpster fire? I highly doubt it.

 

Eli Manning's scenario was different as he was a draftee and there were excellent options for SD (nfl.com at the time before the draft reported Chargers were high on RIvers, but settled for the "safe pick" in Manning--not wanting another Leaf fiasco).  Also, Big Ben was available--he, not Rivers, was the Giants #2 choice after Manning).  

 

It was "no Lose" scenario for SD and NYG.  Plus SD got K Kaeding and, a year later, Merriman. 

 

Anyway--that scenario wasn't repeated.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

 

There's another factor here when it comes to a trade: Most players of significance are not going to want to go to Cleveland. Yes, they technically don't have a say, but they have ways to make that known and to make it very unattractive for the team to do (see Eli Manning notes above). Would a player of Anderson quality want to go to that dumpster fire? I highly doubt it.


I disagree with that.  Carolina has had 5 wins in each of the last 3 seasons.  Their best case at QB this season is Baker Mayfield.  WRs would much rather play with Watson than Mayfield.  While Jacoby Brissett is a step down from Mayfield’, that’s not long term.  Also Anderson isn’t really a WR “of significance”.  He’s more of a competent WR2.  He also said he doesn’t want to play with Mayfield so Carolina might want to ship him out for that reason alone.  If that happens, what’s he going to do?  Try to force the Panthers to keep him so he can play with a QB he publicly ripped?

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Greg S said:

 

I live in NJ and I can tell you the local media brings it up once in a while that both the Giants and Jets passed on Allen. Both fanbases (especially the Jets) have to hate watching Allen play like a superstar for the Bills especially since neither team is set at QB.

Just like we all got to watch Brady own the division for 20 years and pine for what might have been his draft year. That said, having Allen as our QB makes football so fun to watch, even more electric at times than our no-huddle days…

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, Greg S said:

 

Didn't know that. Forget Darnold then.

 

Just my opinion, but the QB swap basically offsets the money. No QB egos are hurt by their old team having to 'eat their salary' or a portion of it.

 

Could be a trade of Darnold and Anderson (who apparently does not want to play with Mayfield) for Mayfield and a conditional pick/ D Peoples-Jones.

 

Darnold and Mayfield get new starts. Anderson is not a headache. Browns have plenty of space to absorb everyone's contract $.

 

Messy situations avoided. Both teams could get better as a result.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:


I disagree with that.  Carolina has had 5 wins in each of the last 3 seasons.  Their best case at QB this season is Baker Mayfield.  WRs would much rather play with Watson than Mayfield.  While Jacoby Brissett is a step down from Mayfield’, that’s not long term.  Also Anderson isn’t really a WR “of significance”.  He’s more of a competent WR2.  He also said he doesn’t want to play with Mayfield so Carolina might want to ship him out for that reason alone.  If that happens, what’s he going to do?  Try to force the Panthers to keep him so he can play with a QB he publicly ripped?

Anderson did clarify the tweet wasn't anti Baker but it was pro Darnold.  I wouldn't include Anderson in the trade as Baker will need all the weapons he can get.  You can't rely on just DJ Moore and CMC as your only capable receiving options.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut says he would be better off in Seattle.  Some like Carroll and some don’t, but Carolina’s coach is on the hot seat.  Carroll is in no jeapordy with ownership of getting fired with ownership and Mgmt.  They also have two incredible WR’s and are perpetually trying to improve in their running game.  The key is whether Seattle or Carolina is willing to take on $5 or $6 of the $18.8 mil. as no one is absorbing all of it.  It’s obvious they are waiting for his release, but can you imagine the financial hit to Cleveland if they have to eat Mayfield and Watson’s first year contract.

 

Those idiots deserve it.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

 

Just my opinion, but the QB swap basically offsets the money. No QB egos are hurt by their old team having to 'eat their salary' or a portion of it.

 

Could be a trade of Darnold and Anderson (who apparently does not want to play with Mayfield) for Mayfield and a conditional pick/ D Peoples-Jones.

 

Darnold and Mayfield get new starts. Anderson is not a headache. Browns have plenty of space to absorb everyone's contract $.

 

Messy situations avoided. Both teams could get better as a result.

 

This will be "fresh start" #3 for Darnold. If he isn't considered a bust then I would say backup/poor man's starter. Darnold isn't a FQB and never will be.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

 

Just my opinion, but the QB swap basically offsets the money. No QB egos are hurt by their old team having to 'eat their salary' or a portion of it.

 

Could be a trade of Darnold and Anderson (who apparently does not want to play with Mayfield) for Mayfield and a conditional pick/ D Peoples-Jones.

 

Darnold and Mayfield get new starts. Anderson is not a headache. Browns have plenty of space to absorb everyone's contract $.

 

Messy situations avoided. Both teams could get better as a result.

     Word on local Clt radio ( can’t remember who was reporting it) was that Cleveland had no interest in a swap.

     Darnold is trash. 
     If Tepper had any football business acumen he starts Darnold till they are out of playoffs. Then move onto Corral and see what he has. 
    Most likely they end up with a top ten pick next year in a draft that is purportedly good a QB.

     Carolina is a mess!

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Doc said:

 

I have a friend who is a big Jets fan.  He was telling me last year how he was lamenting to his son that the Jets didn't take Allen.  His son said to him that if they did, they would have ruined him.  I said to him that I disagree and that Josh's talent would have shown through wherever he went.

I tend to agree with your friends son. Who doesn't think that Saint Doug and staff wouldn't have ruined Josh Allen? Contrary to popular belief, EJ Manuel was similar in stature and athletic ability to Josh Allen. His arm may not have been as strong, but strong enough. Both coming out of college were highly erratic throwing the ball with Allen being worse of the two. Manuel was Allen like in that preseason comeback win against Carolina. Using his legs and arm to propel his team to victory. I would've loved to have seen Manuel being developed by Beane, McDermott and staff. Maybe his career would have been viewed differently

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I tend to agree with your friends son. Who doesn't think that Saint Doug and staff wouldn't have ruined Josh Allen? Contrary to popular belief, EJ Manuel was similar in stature and athletic ability to Josh Allen. His arm may not have been as strong, but strong enough. Both coming out of college were highly erratic throwing the ball with Allen being worse of the two. Manuel was Allen like in that preseason comeback win against Carolina. Using his legs and arm to propel his team to victory. I would've loved to have seen Manuel being developed by Beane, McDermott and staff. Maybe his career would have been viewed differently

 

It is unfair to both players to compare them to each other.  They came from completely different football backgrounds and aside from both being "tall and big" the similarities end there.  EJ Manuel caught a bad break when he was injured in the preseason his rookie year, but he has readily admitted he was not mentally tough enough to deal with the adversity he experienced.  That, in my opinion, is what really separates Josh from everyone else.  I'll admit I don't know much about EJ's upbringing, but Allen grew up in a tough but supportive environment and nothing was handed to him.  He had to fight for every opportunity he got on the football field and was not going to let anyone or anything stop him.  His rookie season was very tough at times, but he fought through it and the organization put the right people around him.

 

Could EJ Manuel have had a different career in a different organization?  Sure.  But Allen is a freak.  A unicorn.  I do believe he would have risen to the top no matter where he wound up.  He was with Jordan Palmer before he was drafted so that part of his development would not have changed, nor would his immense physical talent.

 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Baker is pretty good and had an unfortunate injury last season that he shouldn’t have played through. If it’s fully healed I’m surprised QB-needy teams aren’t lining up. Maybe they all think the Browns will have to cut him and don’t want to give up assets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think Baker is pretty good and had an unfortunate injury last season that he shouldn’t have played through. If it’s fully healed I’m surprised QB-needy teams aren’t lining up. Maybe they all think the Browns will have to cut him and don’t want to give up assets.

 

Our 3 rivals qualify as QB needy teams. He would be an upgrade over Tua, Jones, and Wilson. If the fish had a QB they could challenge the Bills as their roster is pretty good.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just like we all got to watch Brady own the division for 20 years and pine for what might have been his draft year. That said, having Allen as our QB makes football so fun to watch, even more electric at times than our no-huddle days…

It’s fun to feel like you are never out of it. Used to be third and 12 or more and you could go get another beer bc it was a punt upcoming.  Now there’s no distance I believe they won’t get.  Allen is an absolute super star.

  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 9:08 AM, SoTier said:

 

I think that Mayfield simply hasn't grown professionally.  He started out at a high level (for a rookie QB) but he really hasn't upped his game significantly since his second season.  Is that on him or on the Browns?   I don't know.   What I do know is that it's not uncommon for highly drafted QBs to fail to improve significantly after their first or second year as a starter.

 

 

 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:08 AM, Mr. WEO said:

 

He needs to grow up some, no doubt.  But everything about that Browns org--from it's criminal moron of an owner to the goofy MLB analytics guy team to the worst coaching hires in NFL history certainly didn't help him with that.

 

He would be a better QB if he landed with Andy Reid or Shanahan or McDaniels bringing him along.

 

Yeah, and you guys know more than me because isn't it also three OCs in 4 years?  That can't be really good for your first 4 frames in the league as a QB.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...