Baker Mayfield to Carolina rumors heating up...

eball

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

They have to move Baker regardless.  

Baker won’t play for them, and even if he did.. as weird as it sounds.. the Browns can’t risk having a good season with Baker.  

I agree that I can’t see a path to Baker ever suiting up in a Browns uniform again.  That bridge has been burned beyond recognition.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I agree that I can’t see a path to Baker ever suiting up in a Browns uniform again.  That bridge has been burned beyond recognition.

Same here. I can't see Baker playing for the Browns ever again. The problem for the Browns is Watson might not either or at the very least won't in 2022.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, benderbender said:

It's my suspicion that the NFL is waiting until Mayfield is traded before they drop the two year Watson suspension hammer on the Browns. 

That's an interesting thought.  Internally, Goodell & Co. may be fuming over what the Browns did in signing the miscreant Watson to that mega-deal and don't want to give them an "easy" out (i.e., Mayfield).

Not saying that's what is happening, but it isn't a crazy notion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, benderbender said:

It's my suspicion that the NFL is waiting until Mayfield is traded before they drop the two year Watson suspension hammer on the Browns. 

If Mayfield is traded to the Panthers then the Browns should ask for Darnold. Yes he sucks but if Watson is suspended all year then who will they have to play QB?

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If Mayfield is traded to the Panthers then the Browns should ask for Darnold. Yes he sucks but if Watson is suspended all year then who will they have to play QB?

I think it's more the other way around:  If the Panthers are trading for Mayfield, then they will demand that Cleveland takes Darnold, who is going to make the same as Mayfield on the 5th year option. That way there's no need for Cleveland to be paying part of Mayfield's salary like if Mayfield is traded elsewhere.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

They acquired Jacoby Brissett in the offseason. He isn't great, but that Browns team is well built. He should keep them competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think it's more the other way around:  If the Panthers are trading for Mayfield, then they will demand that Cleveland takes Darnold, who is going to make the same as Mayfield on the 5th year option. That way there's no need for Cleveland to be paying part of Mayfield's salary like if Mayfield is traded elsewhere.  

the QB swap of Mayfield and Darnold makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure Browns want more in a trade, but they put themselves in this situation

16 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Agreed, as great as he is, I don’t think Josh would have progressed to his current level in Cleveland and Baker would have probably looked better than he currently is showing if he had come here.

Remember Manning?  Eli Manning and his agent did not want him to go to Chargers and he told them so due to their front office.  Chargers picked him anyways and traded him to Giants.  Baker should have done the same thing with Browns and gotten them to trade him elsewhere.  He would probably have a better football career even though he may not have had as many commercials.  Ironic in that Ryan Leaf did that to go to Chargers and the beach life and his career tanked.

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, ALF said:

Finally the Bills don't have these problems anymore and we can relax, especially since Allen could have been drafted before the 7th pick.

I live in NJ and I can tell you the local media brings it up once in a while that both the Giants and Jets passed on Allen. Both fanbases (especially the Jets) have to hate watching Allen play like a superstar for the Bills especially since neither team is set at QB.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Remember Manning?  Eli Manning and his agent did not want him to go to Chargers and he told them so due to their front office.  Chargers picked him anyways and traded him to Giants.  Baker should have done the same thing with Browns and gotten them to trade him elsewhere.  He would probably have a better football career even though he may not have had as many commercials.  Ironic in that Ryan Leaf did that to go to Chargers and the beach life and his career tanked.

Yeah, and the reason he did that is he was getting advice from his father who was a great quarterback for a terrible Saints team/organization.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Baker wanted to be the #1 pick & play for Cleveland.  He would have never have said no to Cleveland.  The player who there were rumors that he didn't want to be in Cleveland was Josh Rosen & we all know how well he did in Arizona, Miami, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Atlanta & now in his backyard.  

• Agree 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:13 PM, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, and the reason he did that is he was getting advice from his father who was a great quarterback for a terrible Saints team/organization.

Actually read linked article.  While he could be telling a lie he says it was not his father's advice and probably was good decision however the way his career.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, UKBillFan said:

Agreed, as great as he is, I don’t think Josh would have progressed to his current level in Cleveland and Baker would have probably looked better than he currently is showing if he had come here.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Limeaid said:

Mayfield threw for 3725 yards (#8 all time) and 27 TDs (#2 all time) in 13 starts his rookie season.  Was PFWA Rookie of the Year. 

2 years later, he brought the Browns to their 1st playoff game in 18 years.  11-5 with 26 TD on only 8 ints.  Was injured last year.

Voted by his peers as NFL top 100 players in 2019 (50) and 2020 (71).

Took Josh 3 seasons t get over 3100 yards per.  Both with 59/60 starts, 14k yards, JA with 10 more TD.  Josh is obviously the better player, but Mayfield came off the bus ready to play.  He is part of an organization run by idiots.  Not sure Carolina will do much for him (Cleveland may have permanently damaged him)--just a different group of idiots down there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.