Baker Mayfield to Carolina rumors heating up...

eball

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Always liked Baker, Panthers are a more stable organization than Browns for sure. 

I wonder if they’d release Darnold? 

If released, I wonder if Beane would be tempted to add another one of Josh’s besties. 

lol...say what??

Look at the mess they made just at QB the past 2 years.  

2020: Cut Newton, bring in Bridgewater:  $31 million paid for the year

2021: trade Bridgewater, trade a 2nd for Darnold, AND pick up his option for 2022:  $24 million committed

2021:  IR Darnold, sign..........Cam Newton!!:   $4.5+1.5 mil roster bonus, $6million

so,  25 games after they dumped him, it has cost this franchise over $60 million ($2.6 million per passing TD) and this year's 2nd round pick,  to end up with Newton as their starter again. 

Then benched him after 1 complete game for.....PJ ("who am I ??") Walker! 

Plus the trillion dollars they gave McCaffrey.

Solid organization!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol...say what??

Look at the mess they made just at QB the past 2 years.  

2020: Cut Newton, bring in Bridgewater:  $31 million paid for the year

2021: trade Bridgewater, trade a 2nd for Darnold, AND pick up his option for 2022:  $24 million committed

2021:  IR Darnold, sign..........Cam Newton!!:   $4.5+1.5 mil roster bonus, $6million

so,  25 games after they dumped him, it has cost this franchise over $60 million ($2.6 million per passing TD) and this year's 2nd round pick,  to end up with Newton as their starter again. 

Then benched him after 1 complete game for.....PJ ("who am I ??") Walker! 

Plus the trillion dollars they gave McCaffrey.

Solid organization!

I think that's the point. The Panthers are far from great, but still better than the Browns.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sounds like a Brock Osweiler style trade could be in the  realm of possibility, if Carolina wants to use cap cash to obtain another QB and some draft picks.  I can picture Cleveland offering a deal of this nature to get Baker out of the building and not paying him the full $18.9 M.  If it happens, it seems ironic that Cleveland would be on the other end of this kind of unusual deal.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Wonder if they just swap Darnold and Baker? Cleveland needs a qb. 

Not a bad idea. Darnold might do well in Cleveland. Browns aren't void of offensive talent and I think Darnold would be ok if given a shot. He's never really had much of a supporting cast in NY or Carolina. Unfortunately their team structure from ownership to coaching is a dumpster fire.

Of course it's JMO....

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is confusing to me. I've seen a lot of robbie living down here, and he's had a heckuva resurgence with mostly Teddy B and some Darnold. Bakers an upgrade over either of those.

He hasn't said he wants out, just doesn't like baker? Maybe a personality thing he doesn't like baker

51 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Only thing that saddens me about this, is that if they are willing to deal Baker they know they will have Watson on field by week 7. 

Can't prove anything but man, I don't think he's clean.

Baker was going to move regardless. Doesn’t matter if I was no suspension or 2 years. Baker and the Browns were done when he sat out week 18

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

So should Josh Allen.

Agreed, as great as he is, I don’t think Josh would have progressed to his current level in Cleveland and Baker would have probably looked better than he currently is showing if he had come here.

Edited by UKBillFan

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Agreed, as great as he is, I don’t think Josh would have progressed to his current level in Cleveland and Baker would have probably looked better than he currently is showing if he had come here.

Consider the example of the owners as well.   When staff told them they wanted to put Josh Allen on short list The Pegulas made their jet available to staff and when they went to interview him with them. Allen stated that Terry had asked a number of good questions when they interviewed him.  Terry has shown to be knowledgeable although more on college football.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Only thing that saddens me about this, is that if they are willing to deal Baker they know they will have Watson on field by week 7. 

Can't prove anything but man, I don't think he's clean.

They have to move Baker regardless.  

Baker won’t play for them, and even if he did.. as weird as it sounds.. the Browns can’t risk having a good season with Baker.  

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Always liked Baker, Panthers are a more stable organization than Browns for sure. 

I wonder if they’d release Darnold? 

If released, I wonder if Beane would be tempted to add another one of Josh’s besties. 

Never liked Baker  !!!!  
what is there to like ?? 

Edited by Putin

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Just watch out there isn't some mutual secret agreement that has the Bills covering some of his salary.  That Buffalo / Carolina pipeline can be a bit too 'simpatico'. 🤨

No, we will just wait until next year and pick up Darnold to back up Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.