Any sports championships the team you rooted for you feel differently about the outcome?

Another Fan

As a teenager two stand out with me:

The 1st Super Bowl Brady and the Patriots were in I rooted for them along the way.  I didn't like Oakland and Pittsburgh.  Super Bowls I usually root for the underdog.  Plus I was tired of hearing about the Rams offense at the time.  I think a lot to do as well it was right after 9/11 and the name Patriots.  Plus the red, white, and blue.  Brady's story sounded appealing at the time.  Needless to say it wasnt a good idea.  

Other side to that I rooted for the Jazz in 98 against the Bulls in the NBA Finals.  I liked the Knicks in the 90's and didn't want to see that group affect someone else's chances to win a championship.  Like they did to Cleveland as well.  But over time as a fan of that era of basketball I thought it was a fitting end.  I'm not much for comparing sports athletes from different generations but that does help Michael's case vs Lebron.   

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The 1st Super Bowl Brady and the Patriots were in I rooted for them along the way.  I didn't like Oakland and Pittsburgh.  Super Bowls I usually root for the underdog.  Plus I was tired of hearing about the Rams offense at the time.  I think a lot to do as well it was right after 9/11 and the name Patriots.  Plus the red, white, and blue.  Brady's story sounded appealing at the time.  Needless to say it wasnt a good idea.  

Ditto. Same reason, same regrets.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think most of America was rooting for the Patriots in that first Super Bowl win against the Rams.  Little did we know....

As a kid who grew up loving the Bulls in the 90s, I hated the Kobe Lakers teams.  It just felt like a cheap imitation but by the end of his career I had come around on Kobe and especially after he passed I really started going back and learning/studying him more.  I wish I would have appreciated those Lakers teams more.  I hope they get a 30 for 30 on those teams someday.  

• Like (+1) 1

As a junior in college in 1980 we won the intramural flag football championship at Xavier University, the Harvard of the Midwest. I caught the winning PAT. I knew it was big at the time, and I fully expected a 30 for 30 on ESPN by now. Ugh….just one more complaint against ESPN!  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Augie said:

As a junior in college in 1980 we won the intramural flag football championship at Xavier University, the Harvard of the Midwest. I caught the winning PAT. I knew it was big at the time, and I fully expected a 30 for 30 on ESPN by now. Ugh….just one more complaint against ESPN!  🤷‍♂️

How is this relevant in any way, shape or form to the original post?

• Haha (+1) 5

Agreed on the Patriots one.  At that time I had empathy for Boston sports fans and always knew the Patriots as an underdog.

I regret never really getting into and savoring the Bulls/Jordan run.  I didnt like the NBA due to some phony macho "hockey is better/tougher" thing.  Also couldnt stand anyone front-runner who wore Bulls gear, had posters in their locker, etc.  

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This thread might have the worst written headline I've ever seen here, which is saying something.

I still don't know what it is supposed to mean.

What didn’t you understand about it?

The other posters on the picked up on it.  

On 6/14/2022 at 11:37 PM, Gugny said:

How is this relevant in any way, shape or form to the original post?

Even I am confused @ this

The "Harvard of the Midwest?"

Buff State is the "Harvard on the Scajaquada."  Take that Xavier! 

Anyway... I thought that honor went to Notre Dame or Northwestern... 

Sorry. I digress too... 

On 6/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, Another Fan said:

What didn’t you understand about it?

The other posters on the picked up on it.  

I rooted for the Jazz and every team that played the Bulls during their two 3-Peats.  My old-timer boss from St.Louis loved to call Jordan: "Michael 'Walk' Jordan." 😆   I just wanted the fireworks and street riots to stop every June.  I don't regret that. The town was insufferable.  I love peace☮️✌️😌.

Anyway... You're sick and demented 😉 😜 if you didn't root for the Raiders or Rams over The Cheaters.  Don't you remember the "Just Give It to them Game?"  Yeah Ralph's money to keep the Pats* afloat years ago too.  That organization should have went belly up with the Celtics years ago.  That would have been the true "Massachusetts Miracle!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.