Have we given up on Isaiah Hodgins?

Allen2Diggs

On 6/13/2022 at 10:16 AM, Manther said:

Agree to disagree.  I think he will surprise people this year.  Hope so.  If not, no worries, we have great depth with playmaking receivers.  Whoever, the best 6 or 7 are....we are very strong at this position!  I think we take 7 WRs on the 53.

Go Bills!

We lost Cole Beasley (released) and Emmanuel Sanders (Free Agency/Retired?). So what did we do this offseason at WR?

- Re-Signed Isaiah McKenzie

- Re-Signed Jake Kumerow (ST)

- Signed Jamison Crowder

- Signed Tavon Austin

- Drafted Khalil Shakir

If they had any sort of plans for Isaiah Hodgins, first of all they'd have never cut him after Training Camp last season. And lastly, they wouldn't have made so many moves at the position this offseason.

Hodgins absolute ceiling here in Buffalo is making it back on the Practice Squad again. Him making the roster is just as likely as Tanner Gentry or Neil Pau'u making it. Marquez Stevenson made the 53 over a healthy Isaiah Hodgins (who is also not healthy right now btw) last season and I don't even think *he's* making it this year.

6 of the 7 spots are etched in stone and the only reason we keep 7 is for Kumerow's ST's (otherwise we'd just keep 6 as we always have). The other spot will come down to a competition between Austin and Stevenson over the Return job.

The days of an underdog impressing in Training Camp and the Pre-Season and making the 53 is a thing of the past, when we had a weak roster. The WR room is too stacked these days for that to occur. It's more likely he'd make someone else's 53 that had a weaker room and were looking for our castoffs, if he were to impress this Offseason, than our own.

No matter how good he looks this offseason, he's not pushing Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie, or Shakir off the roster, Kumerow is a Special Teams extra who will be here (Hodgins can't do what Kumerow can on teams), and then we need either Austin or Stevenson on returns (which Hodgins can't do).

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, nosejob said:

I can't help but have the feeling he could turn into a Gabe Davis type so I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet.

Yeah they were pretty even. Hodgins has had his moments in camp also. He’s more of a slot guy though and in Buffalo he had no chance at playing time in the slot early on. Especially with the injuries.

On 6/13/2022 at 3:43 AM, TheWeatherMan said:

Meh, I see what you’re saying but why draft him if you expect nothing from him? There has to be some form of expectation for the team to draft him, a progression plan at the very least.  Understand that more 6th round picks don’t pan out than do and that expectations for a 1st and second round pick are different than a 6th, but I’ll argue there are still expectations.  

most 6th round picks don't make it in the nfl. sorry bro. just facts

• Eyeroll 1

Hedging came in with high expectations just as Gabe Davis did but injuries have hurt his development for sure & now with them getting Kalil in camp & all the talk of how good he was in college and his versatility it may be a little to late for Hodgins .

The Bills have got a really good roster & it's hard for even some good players to make it here so given Hodgins history and the fact of the depth already on here with the new draft class it's very likely he will be a casualty unless he has shown something or can show something in camp but i wouldn't bet on him making it.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:47 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

To give up on a person, you have to expect something out of that person in the first place... not just in football, all walks of life. I dont think anyone expected anything out of him thus nothing to give up on.

On 6/13/2022 at 3:43 AM, TheWeatherMan said:

Meh, I see what you’re saying but why draft him if you expect nothing from him? There has to be some form of expectation for the team to draft him, a progression plan at the very least.  Understand that more 6th round picks don’t pan out than do and that expectations for a 1st and second round pick are different than a 6th, but I’ll argue there are still expectations.  

9 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

most 6th round picks don't make it in the nfl. sorry bro. just facts

9 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I literally just said that in the post you responded too….bro.  

5 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

great then we agree. no expectations on 6th round picks

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

If that’s your take away, I conclude that your reading comprehension is suspect.

bro? Read through this... You agree that most 6th rounders don't make it in the NFL and continue to say "there must be some expectation for some progression plan on a 6th rounder" ? Then i basically quote you saying "no expectations from a 6th rounder and you say "I literally just said that in the post you responded to" Then I said "great we agree" and then you say "thats your take"

How can you agree that most 6th rounders dont pan out and then in the same sentence you say "there must be some expectation for some progression plan on a 6th rounder"

how does this even make sense? When someone in the NFL as a starter or even a solid backup everyone highly notes in their surprise that the dude made it in the NFL.  It is highly noted when the player was drafted, even announcers on tv highly note this... and yet you think the team expects 6th round picks make it in the NFL? There is Hope yes...  The team picked a player in the 6th round they hope they can work with to get better and maybe be a depth player... but there is 0 expectations.

Cant have this both ways... im sorry...

Hodgins can’t stay healthy, it’s that simple. He’s made of glass and can’t make it through OTAs let alone a full training camp and season. He’s a camp body this year, and unless he has a stellar camp I doubt he even makes the practice squad.

10 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Hodgins can’t stay healthy, it’s that simple. He’s made of glass and can’t make it through OTAs let alone a full training camp and season. He’s a camp body this year, and unless he has a stellar camp I doubt he even makes the practice squad.

Hodgins actually has been playing pretty well in the mini camps so far. Him and Austin have been a nice surprise. I know I had Kumerow getting the nod over Hodgins, mostly because of ST reps, but it will be a close WR7 battle. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.