Have we given up on Isaiah Hodgins?

Allen2Diggs

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Some of it is him and I think some of it is slow cooking him. For a team to keep a player around for this long they definitely see something in him.

I agree with this.  He has been hurt, but, I think the Bills have been stashing him.  I expect without an injury he will be on the 53 and get reps.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He was basically a 7th Round Draft Pick. We cut him after Training Camp last season. Any team could have picked him up after we released him. Any team could have signed him off the Practice Squad. He's imo the 9th WR on a roster that will carry 6 or 7 tops.

He'll be lucky to be on the Practice Squad again this season and has no chance to make the 53. Why anyone would be having hope for him is completely beyond me at this point.

Agree to disagree.  I think he will surprise people this year.  Hope so.  If not, no worries, we have great depth with playmaking receivers.  Whoever, the best 6 or 7 are....we are very strong at this position!  I think we take 7 WRs on the 53.

Go Bills!

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

I still have hope for Kolby Listenbee......and Greg Salas..dam it......lol

Well played.....haha, great burner!

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

He was at the mandatory practice last week, standing on the sideline, not participating because of injury.

For real?

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As someone else stated Kumerow plays ST, Hodgins doesn't, giving Kumerow a big leg up.  I also like Kumerow as he can on occasion sub in a WR where as Jones very, very rarely ever gets a snap at RB.  For that reason I have little use personally for Jones on the roster.  Same with Austin, as you said he may make the 53 for return reason, but I feel confident he could take snaps a WR too if needed. Jones and Tyler M are two guys who take up 2 roster spots for nothing but ST.  To me that's one too many, would be happy if one of them is gone, maybe Tyler as he making more the big bucks!

I think Kumerow is absolutely one of the 7 WR's on the 53 for the reasons you mention.

13 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Yeah it's weird having this much depth at the wr position after an era where we couldn't lure any decent receivers to sign with us. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Kumerow or Gentry gets poached from our practice squad and becomes an instant contributer for another team.

Kumerow?  LOL.  The guy is 30 years old and hasn't done much in his career.  What makes you think he is going to contribute now?  

Hodgins had shoulder surgery ending his 2020 rookie season.

He jammed his knee real bad in the 1st preseason game to start the 2021 season.

He is on the sidelines this week with an "undisclosed" injury to start his 2022 season.

IMO "if" this new injury keeps him out of most of camp/preseason he is cooked.

But, if by some miracle he gets healthy for the summer I personally think he has some decent talent.

So only time will tell, but it doesn't look good.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

He is yet to catch a pass for the Bills in the regular season, but he's still only 23. He is buried on the depth chart and I have not heard his name spoken since his rookie year. I honestly had to check to make sure he is still on the Bills roster. Does he really exist or was this a Deuce Dominguez situation where we drafted a fake prospect?

If he doesn't make the final roster this year (and I don't believe he will) than yes I think he's cut and won't be brought back to PS squad either if Beane/McD/etc feel he's just not going to pan out here.

By all accounts he was really showing something in camp the past two years, but he either has the worst luck in the world or he's made of glass.  Haven't completely given up on him, but he'll have to be healthy and stay healthy when camp opens, and he'll really need to flash when compared to Kumerow, Stevenson and the other 6-9 receivers on the depth chart to have a chance to stick.

• Agree 2

The fans are mostly done with him, but that means absolutely nothing, what counts is what his employers think, I would not be surprised if he ends up making the team, nor would i be surprised if he is cut / PS / gone, the coaches and GM see something, otherwise he would be gone already, maybe Beane is playing 3D chess and the kid turns into a solid contributor, here’s hoping he kicks ass and plays well for us,  optimism requires less energy than pessimism, so there’s that…,

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Manther said:

Well played.....haha, great burner!

For real?

I think Kumerow is absolutely one of the 7 WR's on the 53 for the reasons you mention.

After reading the thread this morning I decided to look up his injuries and it mentioned him sitting out with an injury but it didn't go into what it may be. It was dated 6/7/22

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As someone else stated Kumerow plays ST, Hodgins doesn't, giving Kumerow a big leg up.  I also like Kumerow as he can on occasion sub in a WR where as Jones very, very rarely ever gets a snap at RB.  For that reason I have little use personally for Jones on the roster.  Same with Austin, as you said he may make the 53 for return reason, but I feel confident he could take snaps a WR too if needed. Jones and Tyler M are two guys who take up 2 roster spots for nothing but ST.  To me that's one too many, would be happy if one of them is gone, maybe Tyler as he making more the big bucks!

This is has been something fans of this board have been saying essentially every offseason since Sean McDermott came in. It's just time to accept this is how he operates.

He has said on multiple occasions and his actions prove it - that he feels you need to have a core of guys that's focus is exclusively Special Teams. Guys that are known commodities there. That when you put too much emphasis on what else they offer, you're going to slight the Special Teams and set yourself up for problems there.

I tend to agree. When we're talking about the core Special Teams, we're talking about less than a handful of players. Saying three players who have that role is one too many is seriously dismissing that aspect of the game.

Matakevitch is paid what he's paid because he's really good at his role. If they wanted to replace him or felt he was too much, they'd have released him or made him take a paycut when we were doing everything we could to create cap space. The fact that they didn't do either speaks volumes. He's not going anywhere.

And if they felt Jones could no longer fill the role he's had with this team, they wouldn't have given him a new contract and brought him back. He's not going anywhere either. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

After reading the thread this morning I decided to look up his injuries and it mentioned him sitting out with an injury but it didn't go into what it may be. It was dated 6/7/22

Do you think we might have a chance to give up on him more than once? That would be AWESOME!  😋

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Some of it is him and I think some of it is slow cooking him. For a team to keep a player around for this long they definitely see something in him.

I can't help but have the feeling he could turn into a Gabe Davis type so I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.