Have we given up on Isaiah Hodgins?

Allen2Diggs

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

To give up on a person, you have to expect something out of that person in the first place... not just in football, all walks of life. I dont think anyone expected anything out of him thus nothing to give up on.

Meh, I see what you’re saying but why draft him if you expect nothing from him? There has to be some form of expectation for the team to draft him, a progression plan at the very least.  Understand that more 6th round picks don’t pan out than do and that expectations for a 1st and second round pick are different than a 6th, but I’ll argue there are still expectations.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Eyeroll 1

Honestly if he hadn't gotten hurt he probably would have been cut by now. 

I guess the only spot he is really competing for would be Kumerow's. And I say that because those are two guys with size. Both are listed at 6'4" though many sites also say he is 6'3". Davis is 6'2.  I just can't see him making the roster for the rare red-zone opportunity.  His only shot would be if Kumerow got hurt and even then I'm not sure he would make the roster.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Honestly if he hadn't gotten hurt he probably would have been cut by now. 

I guess the only spot he is really competing for would be Kumerow's. And I say that because those are two guys with size. Both are listed at 6'4" though many sites also say he is 6'3". Davis is 6'2.  I just can't see him making the roster for the rare red-zone opportunity.  His only shot would be if Kumerow got hurt and even then I'm not sure he would make the roster.

Jake Kumerow was one of our core Special Teams players last season and was re-signed almost exclusively for that reason. Much like Taiwan Jones at RB, I don't even really look at Jake Kumerow as a WR on this team. Kumerow's going to be here regardless.

And obviously, Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir, and McKenzie will as well. Most likely also Austin for Returns. We kept 7 last season and that's your 7. And I didn't even mention Marquez Stevenson, who I also don't see making the roster, but I'd put as having a better shot at it than Hodgins.

Long story short, Hodgins has zero chance of making the 53 outside of catastrophic injuries in Camp. Even then, odds are they'd bring others in off the street first. He was cut last season and he'll be cut this season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Personally, I have not given up on him, but agree he is probably a long shot to make the 53. After Diggs & Davis, there isn't much size in the next 3-4 guys in line, so he brings something that's missing and could be very valuable. I understand that he has played mostly in the slot, but we don't have much depth outside. So if he can show anything there he has a chance, but staying healthy and finding a way to contribute on ST's will be required.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

He is yet to catch a pass for the Bills in the regular season, but he's still only 23. He is buried on the depth chart and I have not heard his name spoken since his rookie year. I honestly had to check to make sure he is still on the Bills roster. Does he really exist or was this a Deuce Dominguez situation where we drafted a fake prospect?

He was at the mandatory practice last week, standing on the sideline, not participating because of injury.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, eball said:

Hodgins is a poster child for the NFL truism “the biggest part of ability is availability.”

Dude just can’t keep himself in the mix.  It’s a shame, really.

He was injured his rookie season and I know he’s been on the sideline recently, although was he injured last year at all?  Just wondering if even when healthy, he isn’t showing anything unique to justify playing time.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jake Kumerow was one of our core Special Teams players last season and was re-signed almost exclusively for that reason. Much like Taiwan Jones at RB, I don't even really look at Jake Kumerow as a WR on this team. Kumerow's going to be here regardless.

And obviously, Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir, and McKenzie will as well. Most likely also Austin for Returns. We kept 7 last season and that's your 7. And I didn't even mention Marquez Stevenson, who I also don't see making the roster, but I'd put as having a better shot at it than Hodgins.

Long story short, Hodgins has zero chance of making the 53 outside of catastrophic injuries in Camp. Even then, odds are they'd bring others in off the street first. He was cut last season and he'll be cut this season.

As someone else stated Kumerow plays ST, Hodgins doesn't, giving Kumerow a big leg up.  I also like Kumerow as he can on occasion sub in a WR where as Jones very, very rarely ever gets a snap at RB.  For that reason I have little use personally for Jones on the roster.  Same with Austin, as you said he may make the 53 for return reason, but I feel confident he could take snaps a WR too if needed. Jones and Tyler M are two guys who take up 2 roster spots for nothing but ST.  To me that's one too many, would be happy if one of them is gone, maybe Tyler as he making more the big bucks!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.