Aaron Kromer’s 1st interview since returning to Bills as OL coach

YoloinOhio

On 6/10/2022 at 10:38 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah,  Ford has been awful.   He was bad as a rookie and then cost the team the playoff game with that totally unnecessary dumb personal foul penalty.

Cyrus actually had a really nice 2016 season.......and he started at LT for 5 games in place of Glenn and excelled.  He didn't allow a QB hit that (though he was credited with allowing a sack).    He could only play LT because the nerve damage in his one knee was so bad that he couldn't fire out of his stance on the right side.   

He was a bad draft pick but Ford has been a total bum and trading up for him was brutal........and immortalized by the inaugural "Imbedded" series.  :doh:  

Why choose one play? He easily cost us the game when he and then Dawson Knox decided not to pick up Texans LB Cunningham on the QB sweep who went in untouched and earholed Allen.  If Ford just gets in his way Allen runs into easy FG range or maybe even the endzone.  

Edited by Jauronimo

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Thanks for reminding me of that mea culpa by the NFL.  I knew the call was crap at the time and that blurb by PFT must have been at the back of my mind.

But too little, too late.

Edited by Doc

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct, he missed about 5 games worth of snaps last season going in and out of the lineup with the chronic shoulder issue.

But he's not 32.........he recently turned 34.

I read his age from the article from 2020. Your math skills are better than mine.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:38 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah,  Ford has been awful.   He was bad as a rookie and then cost the team the playoff game with that totally unnecessary dumb personal foul penalty.

Cyrus actually had a really nice 2016 season.......and he started at LT for 5 games in place of Glenn and excelled.  He didn't allow a QB hit that (though he was credited with allowing a sack).    He could only play LT because the nerve damage in his one knee was so bad that he couldn't fire out of his stance on the right side.   

He was a bad draft pick but Ford has been a total bum and trading up for him was brutal........and immortalized by the inaugural "Imbedded" series.  :doh:  

Ford has been bad but I never blamed him for that penalty in the Houston game. That was a flat out awful call by the zebras.

17 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Doesn't Ford have the feet of the cornerstone of Buffalo City Hall?

No amount of coaching is going to take the cement off of Ford's shoes. He is slow and flat footed.

Will never succeed in the NFL.

He certainly seems like an outlier in what is otherwise a very athletic Bills o-line.

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Ford has been bad but I never blamed him for that penalty in the Houston game. That was a flat out awful call by the zebras.

It was "a flat out" correct call.......by the literal letter of the law.   He left his feet to throw a shoulder block high into a defender.    After 3 years of it being the rule we all know it's a penalty every time.      

That was just the first season where the league was calling it.......and as fans tend to do with new rules......Bills fans were still expecting refs to litigate intent.

That isn't their job.

It was just a dumb and ultimately season killing play by a player whose proven over and over to never be up to the task mentally.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, turftoe said:

I read his age from the article from 2020. Your math skills are better than mine.

I thought maybe you were sub-illuminating @Docthere. ;)

I actually thought Saffold was turning 35 at some point this year........the recent birthday mentions are why I knew.

Yeah he's old and he was in and out of the lineup so much last year I think it made it easy for the Titans to cut bait.

In signing a guy like that the Bills really need to plan on having one of the backups being capable of playing half a season worth of snaps.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually thought Saffold was turning 35 at some point this year........the recent birthday mentions are why I knew.

Yeah he's old and he was in and out of the lineup so much last year I think it made it easy for the Titans to cut bait.

In signing a guy like that the Bills really need to plan on having one of the backups being capable of playing half a season worth of snaps.

Agreed, this is the same situation as the Sanders deal last year, where he basically turned into a pumpkin after Halloween.

At least then they had a guy like Davis come on at the end of the year to replace the production, but behind Saffold right now is Boetgger coming off an Achilles and Ford who sucks. They are relying on Saffold to play well and be available, which is not a given at all at this point in his career.

Surprised they didn't add any more depth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Only because it was later deemed "not forcible"..........which again,  is not something you can realistically expect to be litigated in-game.

A potentially dangerous shot like that is going to be called every time it's seen........just like contact to a QB's helmet..........which is why,  "forcible" or not........you don't see this play not getting flagged in the NFL anymore.........and you rarely see anyone try it.

Apologies a week later don't do you any good in the standings............things like not putting your hands in the region of the QB's helmet to prevent getting a penalty for what may later be deemed incidental contact or just reaching out with your arms and blocking someone instead of leading with your head or a shoulder are rather obvious choices.   

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I didn’t like The Booger McFarland before he adamantly defended the refs call on that play. I can’t explain here, in this family friendly forum, what I think of him now. One more reason to avoid ESPN. 

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Only because it was later deemed "not forcible"..........which again,  is not something you can realistically expect to be litigated in-game.

A potentially dangerous shot like that is going to be called every time it's seen........just like contact to a QB's helmet..........which is why,  "forcible" or not........you don't see this play not getting flagged in the NFL anymore.........and you rarely see anyone try it.

Apologies a week later don't do you any good in the standings............things like not putting your hands in the region of the QB's helmet to prevent getting a penalty for what may later be deemed incidental contact or just reaching out with your arms and blocking someone instead of leading with your head or a shoulder are rather obvious choices.   

It wasn’t dangerous as the Houston player saw him coming and even braced for impact.  And the impact was minimal. And I’d like to see video of it again because I don’t recall him leaving his feet. 

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

It wasn’t dangerous as the Houston player saw him coming and even braced for impact.  And the impact was minimal. And I’d like to see video of it again because I don’t recall him leaving his feet. 

Ford_blindside_block_.gif

You see a player do this to a Bills defender in 2022 I guarantee you that you are screaming for a flag.

• Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was "a flat out" correct call.......by the literal letter of the law.   He left his feet to throw a shoulder block high into a defender.    After 3 years of it being the rule we all know it's a penalty every time.      

That was just the first season where the league was calling it.......and as fans tend to do with new rules......Bills fans were still expecting refs to litigate intent.

That isn't their job.

It was just a dumb and ultimately season killing play by a player whose proven over and over to never be up to the task mentally.

Sorry, I disagree. It was the WRONG call. I'm not even sure why you would argue it wasn't when the NFL admitted it was a bad call.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/nfl-officiating-admits-blown-blindside-block-call-in-bills-wild-card-loss-to-texans.html?outputType=amp

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Beast said:

Sorry, I disagree. It was the WRONG call. I'm not even sure why you would argue it wasn't when the NFL admitted it was a bad call.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/nfl-officiating-admits-blown-blindside-block-call-in-bills-wild-card-loss-to-texans.html?outputType=amp

The league can tell you whatever you want to hear after the fact...........because they can review it and parse out things like intent and how "forcible" the contact was.

But if it's a penalty in real time EVERY time you do it........it's a penalty.

It's still a penalty in the record books RIGHT NOW.

Look at the gif of the play above your post.    

Do you think that goes uncalled EVER in a game in 2021 or 2022?    Of course not.   The rule was the same in 2019.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think he has a nerve issue in his shoulder, and it may be degenerative. Nothing Kromer can do about that.

from https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/15/rodger-saffold-says-hes-dealing-with-nerve-issue-in-shoulder/

"Tennessee Titans left guard Rodgers Saffold is dealing with an ongoing nerve issue in his injured shoulder.

In an interview with 104.5 The Zone, Saffold said the injury requires ongoing management and will continue to force him to the sidelines after taking certain types of hits."

That said his snaps were high, but are dropping each season

97%

94%

87%

82%

Bates played very well at LG last season when he was put in. The fact Daboll and Schoen didn't go after him, but other teams did, tells me it was Daboll who kept Bates on the sideline until he ran out of other players.

Saffold almost exclusively plays LG, is a very good Run Blocker, but below average pass blocker when healthy.

I didn't like the signing because Saffold is 36 or so now, and plays the position Bates should have a chance to earn (LG).

Can Bates flip to RG? Some guys are better laying Left or Right. If Saffold misses time, we will probably see Bates flip back to LG and someone else go to RG.

I would have looked at a guy for RG and let Bates play LG all season. Dawkins/ Bates/ Morse isn't All Pro, but it played lights out at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

I do think Brown and Bates will learn a lot from Kromer and benefit the most.

Kromer will identify that Bates is a very good 'move/ pulling guard'.

He will coach up Brown who surprised me at times and let me down at times.

He will fine tune Dawkins and Morse.

If Doyle or Ford can play at all in the NFL level we will know by season end.

I don't expect anything from Boettger due to his Achilles injury. I was surprised the Bills resigned him TBH.

At least a strong voice like Kromer will help Buffalo cut bait with guys who can not play at the NFL level.

I hope that leads to 1-2 real investments in OL next offseason, and that they are guys Kromer can work with to make the OL unit a strength.

This year may be a bit of a learning curve and some shuffling.

6 hours ago, Mikie's Bills said:

Agreed, this is the same situation as the Sanders deal last year, where he basically turned into a pumpkin after Halloween.

At least then they had a guy like Davis come on at the end of the year to replace the production, but behind Saffold right now is Boetgger coming off an Achilles and Ford who sucks. They are relying on Saffold to play well and be available, which is not a given at all at this point in his career.

Surprised they didn't add any more depth.

Could not agree with you more. Was surprised they signed another guy who plays LG. Bates should be provided a chance to win that position, but then who plays RG?

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The league can tell you whatever you want to hear after the fact...........because they can review it and parse out things like intent and how "forcible" the contact was.

But if it's a penalty in real time EVERY time you do it........it's a penalty.

It's still a penalty in the record books RIGHT NOW.

Look at the gif of the play above your post.    

Do you think that goes uncalled EVER in a game in 2021 or 2022?    Of course not.   The rule was the same in 2019.

No, it shouldn't have been a penalty. The league is not going to come out and admit error when no error happened.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

He was good enough at LT in 2016 that a lot of people were thinking the Bills should move Cordy Glenn to RT in 2017.   Really good,  especially in pass pro.    Kujo just couldn't play the right side because of that knee.    Then he had the nervous breakdown or whatever where he was found naked on the highway.    Then he got baptized in Lake Erie and he must have chosen a non-"process" denomination because the McBills cut him that day. :lol:

As an Alabama fan I was never quite impressed by Kujo. In fact, I posted here than I felt that he was the 4th best blocker on that OL (which by the way was incredibly good). Admittedly, I was actually happier with the Reggie Ragland pick lol. I remember thinking when Kujo played LT at Alabama that Barrett Jones was a clearly superior LT (his career was destroted by injuries), but Saban moved Jones to center. 

When Kujo was found naked on the road (there were rumors of drug use) I was  VERY surprised. There were articles about what a grounded, great kid he was at Bama. The thing is, playing at Alabama is different that other schools. Saban is very demanding and playing there involves your off time, your diet, in addition to your training.  As you know, this is where the term "process" was invented, though McDermott does a great job of coopting it as if he coined the phrase. Sadly, a few of these kids go hog wild when they get away from Alabama and you don't see it coming. Saban even had Ruben Foster (who I still think could have been by far imo the best LB in the NFL) under control. I suppose that to a young kid who grew up poor it must feel like getting out of jail and having millions of dollars in your pocket. It's amazing that even more of them don't get into trouble. I think that I would have.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Beast said:

No, it shouldn't have been a penalty. The league is not going to come out and admit error when no error happened.

If that helped you feel better about that loss back then,  then good for you...........the result was not changed...........when you do something that looks like a penalty in real time, every time.........EXPECT a penalty.     

And let me clarify something for you.........when "the league" determines a penalty was incorrectly called.........that's a small group of officials(perhaps just one)..........not really "the league" as a whole.    Their opinion on the forcible aspect and that penalty in general might be different today.......as it was in the initial days after the call.   

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.