Aaron Kromer’s 1st interview since returning to Bills as OL coach

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah,  Ford has been awful.   He was bad as a rookie and then cost the team the playoff game with that totally unnecessary dumb personal foul penalty.

Cyrus actually had a really nice 2016 season.......and he started at LT for 5 games in place of Glenn and excelled.  He didn't allow a QB hit that (though he was credited with allowing a sack).    He could only play LT because the nerve damage in his one knee was so bad that he couldn't fire out of his stance on the right side.   

He was a bad draft pick but Ford has been a total bum and trading up for him was brutal........and immortalized by the inaugural "Imbedded" series.  :doh:  

No doubt Ford was brutal in the Houston game, but I thought he showed some potential at RT that season, just very raw. Looked better there than he does inside. I do think 3 years is enough time, if he doesn’t turn it on this preseason, he needs to go.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah,  Ford has been awful.   He was bad as a rookie and then cost the team the playoff game with that totally unnecessary dumb personal foul penalty.

Cyrus actually had a really nice 2016 season.......and he started at LT for 5 games in place of Glenn and excelled.  He didn't allow a QB hit that (though he was credited with allowing a sack).    He could only play LT because the nerve damage in his one knee was so bad that he couldn't fire out of his stance on the right side.   

He was a bad draft pick but Ford has been a total bum and trading up for him was brutal........and immortalized by the inaugural "Imbedded" series.  :doh:  

That penalty call was horrible.  No "spirit of the rule" applied there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Yep.  I was downright depressed the day the Bills hired him.

Even older, that was what Greggo did.  We had the number 1 defense and the number 3 defense in successive years (by the yards metric which is far from perfect, but still).  He came in the following year and completely scrapped our scheme for his and none of our players were suited for it.  When asked about it, he pointed to the fact his defense was number 1 the previous year so it was a better scheme than our number 3 defense.  I knew in that moment that he would fail.

Agree. I didn't like but was ok with the Rex hire. I thought he would keep Schwartz and just add some of his blitz concepts. People forget he took a bad Jets team to back to back AFC Conference championship games with Sanchez. If he had just left the defense to Schwartz and had the same results on offense Bills would have been a contender just like the Ravens are year after year. Rex in game decisions were ok I thought too. But he got silly and stupid with his devotion to his outdated defense, his brother, and stuff like choosing captains for the week based on antagonizing the opponents. 

On 6/11/2022 at 9:50 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree. I didn't like but was ok with the Rex hire. I thought he would keep Schwartz and just add some of his blitz concepts. People forget he took a bad Jets team to back to back AFC Conference championship games with Sanchez. If he had just left the defense to Schwartz and had the same results on offense Bills would have been a contender just like the Ravens are year after year. Rex in game decisions were ok I thought too. But he got silly and stupid with his devotion to his outdated defense, his brother, and stuff like choosing captains for the week based on antagonizing the opponents. 

It was not a bad Jets team.  The Jets had finished 9-5 in 2008 with Nick Mangini-- exactly the same record as Rex's first year.  Mangold was fired because the team went 1-4 over the last five games mainly due to Favre being horrible at the end of the season. They had a great offensive line, Alan Faneca, Nic Mangold Damien Woody and D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Thomas Jones had just finished his 3rd consecutive 1000 yard season and they also had a decent defense in place with Darelle Revis and nose tackle Kris Jenkins.  Though certainly Rex got more out of that defense than Mangini did.

Rex Ryan got way too much credit for the team Mangini built and for being able to frustrate Belichick for a couple of games.  

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

It was not a bad Jets team.  The Jets had finished 9-5 in 2008 with Nick Mangini-- exactly the same record as Rex's first year.  Mangold was fired because the team went 1-4 over the last five games. because Favre was horrible at the end of the season. They had a great offensive line, Alan Faneca, Nic Mangold Damien Woody and D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Thomas Jones had just finished his 3rd consecutive 1000 yard season and they also had a decent defense in place with Darelle Revis and nose tackle Kris Jenkins.  Though certainly Rex got more out of that defense than Mangini did.

Rex Ryan got way too much credit for the team Mangold build and for being able to frustrate Belichick for a couple of games.  

Rex definitely got way too much credit. Like gruden with the bucs after tony dungy built team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

That penalty call was horrible.  No "spirit of the rule" applied there.

The complaining about that penalty hasn't aged well.

It's a penalty 100 times out of 100 now.............and had been the rule all thru the 2019 season.

He left his feet to throw his shoulder high into a defenseless player who is afforded protection from that blind hit.

Whether he put his full force into it or not is as relevant as whether a pass rusher who hits a QB in the head with his entire forearm did it with full force.

You can assume that it's ALWAYS going to be a penalty.

Referees aren't there to judge intent........players know they can't do certain things without drawing a flag and it's their responsibility to avoid certain OBVIOUS actions.

All Ford had to do on that play was extend an arm to seal off the defender for a millisecond........it was questionable whether the defender gets a hand on Josh even if he didn't.

His nature as an aggressive(and dumb) player got the best of him and cost the Bills a chance to reach the divisional round.

• Disagree 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:12 PM, eball said:

I’ve been beating this drum since it was announced. Beach chairs is the most important coaching hire we’ve made in a while.  All of you “worriers” about the OL are about to see that Bobby Johnson was a joke. 

I get why you are saying what you are saying, and hope you are right.   But decades of Bills fandom have turned me into a bit of a skeptic - or maybe Missourian. 

I won't truly believe it until I see it on the field.  

On 6/10/2022 at 8:46 PM, Mikie's Bills said:

Kujo was actually pretty solid in spot duty when he played I thought, just was never healthy. Just looked up his PFF stats and found the following:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-bills-release-offensive-tackle-cyrus-kouandjio

Ford on the other hand is just plain bad. The Washington game last year was the worst performance by any Bill lineman I can remember.

Dont care what PFF says, Kuandjio was bad.    He was completely unathletic.    Horrilble use of a 2nd round pick.   Not that the Ford pick has been better, just dont see how you can defend Kujo. 

2 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Dont care what PFF says, Kuandjio was bad.    He was completely unathletic.    Horrilble use of a 2nd round pick.   Not that the Ford pick has been better, just dont see how you can defend Kujo. 

He was good enough at LT in 2016 that a lot of people were thinking the Bills should move Cordy Glenn to RT in 2017.   Really good,  especially in pass pro.    Kujo just couldn't play the right side because of that knee.    Then he had the nervous breakdown or whatever where he was found naked on the highway.    Then he got baptized in Lake Erie and he must have chosen a non-"process" denomination because the McBills cut him that day. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

After watching the past two Super Bowls I was hoping the Bills would have invested a little bit more in the OL this off season. Give Josh Allen the time and he'll make the play. Mahomes and Burrow were pressured due to crappy OLs and it cost them both a championship. Just give Josh the time and he'll do the rest.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, billybrew1 said:

Can Kromer fix Ford?

I think we’re lacking depth otherwise….

this really is a worthwhile question. lets hope they give it a good try.
Kromer might be worthy of saint hood if he does though

"Saint Aaron" ?

On 6/10/2022 at 8:39 PM, That's No Moon said:

Until he was prancing like a gazelle whilst nude in the median of the 219.

Kromer has his methods ...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, turftoe said:

After watching the past two Super Bowls I was hoping the Bills would have invested a little bit more in the OL this off season. Give Josh Allen the time and he'll make the play. Mahomes and Burrow were pressured due to crappy OLs and it cost them both a championship. Just give Josh the time and he'll do the rest.

Give Saffold(sp) a chance will ya, he's a Kromer hire and can play football.

This is gonna be fun

Kromer fan talking

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, somnus00 said:

Didn't Kujo have the knees of a 70 year old, retired powerlifter?

Doesn't Ford have the feet of the cornerstone of Buffalo City Hall?

No amount of coaching is going to take the cement off of Ford's shoes. He is slow and flat footed.

Will never succeed in the NFL.

8 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Pretty simple, Kujo wasn't bad in pass pro, which is what you want from a LT. He did well when on the field, a lot better than Ford at a more important position.

As others have said, his health concerns were his main issue. 

2 hours ago, turftoe said:

He had injuries in Tennessee and didn’t finish quite a few games. He is 32. It is a legitimate concern.

Saffold 2021

Saffold 2020

Correct, he missed about 5 games worth of snaps last season going in and out of the lineup with the chronic shoulder issue.

But he's not 32.........he recently turned 34.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.