Heath Farwell being “honest” with JAX media…

eball

21 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

And this is what makes no sense.

McDermott had to have made the final decision or it brings even more question to his coaching ability and long term viability. But if it was Farwell or Bass that screwed up the actual execution (assuming a squib kick was supposed to happen) why be so secretive and vague about it?

If McD initially decided that Bass should kick a touchback and that's what was relayed to him, but then McD changed his mind and that wasn't relayed to Bass, that's on Farwell.  And the reason why he's gone.  Ultimately it falls on McD and he took all the blame, as he should.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What don't you believe? He is right, it is in the past and a question for the Bills. You can take the fact that they parted terms as an indication that there was some failure somewhere, but what he actually says there is not untrue. 

Major red flag when people use the “to be honest” verbal crutch repeatedly. In my experience it’s typically a sign they are anything but. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Major red flag when people use the “to be honest” verbal crutch repeatedly. In my experience it’s typically a sign they are anything but. 

Which bit do you think is dishonest? In the past? A matter for the Bills? Or that he still thinks about it a lot? The first two are demonstrably true. Is it feasible that the 3rd part is a lie? Sure. But having been a semi-pro soccer coach myself I know that when a new season comes round whatever the previous season has brought - success or heartbreak you have to turn the page. It is conceivable to me that he has done the same. 

@GunnerBill I think it’s pretty clear Farwell effed up and McD allowed him to save face. I know some think it was McD’s call to kick it through the end zone but we’d have heard something from somebody if Farwell left because he was “upset” at McD overruling him. Farwell doesn’t want to talk about this because he’s embarrassed it happened and he was responsible.

Honestly. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

@GunnerBill I think it’s pretty clear Farwell effed up and McD allowed him to save face. I know some think it was McD’s call to kick it through the end zone but we’d have heard something from somebody if Farwell left because he was “upset” at McD overruling him. Farwell doesn’t want to talk about this because he’s embarrassed it happened and he was responsible.

Honestly. 

No he doesn't want to talk about this because that would be a dick move. The Bills have made it clear how they want to deal with it. If a coach (whether responsible or not) went elsewhere and started blabbing about details the Bills have intentionally kept in house that would be a dick move. When Farwell says it is a matter for the Bills he is right.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No he doesn't want to talk about this because that would be a dick move. The Bills have made it clear how they want to deal with it. If a coach (whether responsible or not) went elsewhere and started blabbing about details the Bills have intentionally kept in house that would be a dick move. When Farwell says it is a matter for the Bills he is right.

We’re talking around each other.  Farwell seems like a decent dude and I hoped he learned from his mistake and will make sure that never again is the freaking kicker not told what the play is.  Him saying he “doesn’t think about it at all” is clearly a lie.

3 hours ago, eball said:

We’re talking around each other.  Farwell seems like a decent dude and I hoped he learned from his mistake and will make sure that never again is the freaking kicker not told what the play is.  Him saying he “doesn’t think about it at all” is clearly a lie.

Is it? I am not sure I agree. As I say, even in semi pro sport I was very able to turn the page immediately. Being a coach is very different to being a fan. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Is it? I am not sure I agree. As I say, even in semi pro sport I was very able to turn the page immediately. Being a coach is very different to being a fan. 

I gotta' agree with Gunner here @eball.

You are looking at this from a fans perspective...........fans dwell..........it's what we do.

It's because as a fan we have no control over outcomes and can rarely live in the moment wrt sports.

That's the exact opposite of the feeling of being a coach or a player............which is one of the reasons it's so satisfying and often less gut-wrenching to play than it is to be a fan.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:15 AM, ScottLaw said:

Even with that ***** up, they ***** up the three plays after in ridiculous fashion…. Even with two TOs to figure out a proper defense.

IMO the special teams coach is down the line of people to blame… way behind both McDermott and Frazier.

I'm surprised that people still struggle with this basic fact

On 6/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, eball said:

Excerpt from Buffalo News article about Farwell’s PC yesterday:

————

Farwell, who took over as Jaguars special teams coordinator 17 days after the Bills' playoff loss, was asked if he was haunted by the end of the game and what he might have done differently.

"I get that question all the time," Farwell smiled. "To be perfectly honest with you, it’s in the past. I don’t worry about that. Honestly, my answer to that is that’s a question for the Buffalo Bills and Sean McDermott. It’s in the past. I don’t deal with that, to be honest with you.

"That's part of the way I live my life. It’s going forward, and what we’re doing here. I’m loving the guys I work with here. I got a great appreciation for the players there. I had fantastic players, still good friends of mine that I talk to all the time. But down here, I’m trying to build something down here special. That’s what it's about for me. I move on. I honestly don’t think twice about it."

————-

Umm, Heath, I “honestly” don’t believe.you.  Dolt.

Erik Turner from Cover 1 was the first one to break the news that the touchback was the result of Farwell not getting the call into Bass.  

He said that there were already issues with Farwell’s coaching before that moment.  So I don’t think Farwell is the scapegoat some people want to make him out to be.  There clearly were issues and what happened in KC was the last straw

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How Farwell didn’t know KC had all 3 TOs and could simply let Travis Kelce roam free in the middle of the field to get them into FG range I’ll never understand…

Not saying he the loss is all on Farwell.  I just don’t think he’s the scape goat some people are making him out to be.  He was likely on the bubble as ST Coach before 

The KC game been over.  The result will always be the result - no matter who you blame. No matter who you think is lying about whatever. 

The Bills are legit Super Bowl favorites.  They win it all - 13 seconds doesn’t matter; wide right doesn’t matter.; Music City Miracle doesn’t matter.   Why lament over a past that will never change when you can put your energy behind a future that can change everything?

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I gotta' agree with Gunner here @eball.

You are looking at this from a fans perspective...........fans dwell..........it's what we do.

It's because as a fan we have no control over outcomes and can rarely live in the moment wrt sports.

That's the exact opposite of the feeling of being a coach or a player............which is one of the reasons it's so satisfying and often less gut-wrenching to play than it is to be a fan.

No, I totally get that.  They have to move on.  My only point is that his comments were not genuine…i.e., he was trying too hard to tell everyone he doesn’t care about that any more...so much so that (at least to me) it’s obvious it still bugs him.  Does he think about it every day?  Of course not, he has a new job to do.

Just my opinion.  I played sports enough to understand the “moving on” part of it.

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Erik Turner from Cover 1 was the first one to break the news that the touchback was the result of Farwell not getting the call into Bass.  

He said that there were already issues with Farwell’s coaching before that moment.  So I don’t think Farwell is the scapegoat some people want to make him out to be.  There clearly were issues and what happened in KC was the last straw

Yeah, heard the same from Tyler Dunne. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

No, I totally get that.  They have to move on.  My only point is that his comments were not genuine…i.e., he was trying too hard to tell everyone he doesn’t care about that any more...so much so that (at least to me) it’s obvious it still bugs him.  Does he think about it every day?  Of course not, he has a new job to do.

Just my opinion.  I played sports enough to understand the “moving on” part of it.

Where we differ is the idea of "having" to "move on"..........that implies that it takes some effort to let it go.  And I believe him that he doesn't care about that anymore.   It's not like his special teams gave up a TD.   There was a miscommunication with McD but it was a coin toss of a decision either way.......at best.   We have literally seen a KR TD beat this franchise on the last play of in a seemingly locked up playoff game.  As fans it's easy to get caught up in this line of thinking but it was hardly the special teams fault that they lost that game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.